Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has there ever been a more overrated Brighton defender than Lewis Dunk?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Dunk is one of the few bright spots this season, I'd suggest looking elsewhere for over rated players....

smiler

Jan 12, 2006
Shoreham by Sea
There is something rotten in our defence at the moment but with respect to the OP I will rely on our management team to find the source of the problem. Easiest thing in the world to point fingers.
There is only one thing wrong with our defence at the moment - NO MATTHEW UPSON. Greer and Dunk don't work well together and I cant fathom who is to blame!

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I can't belive some of our fans picking on our players apart from losing yesterday which upsets me I thought we played ok but we do need to convert chances into goals however it's a shame they cleared the ball of there line near the end as our team fought to the end and would have rewarded the fans who stayed to the end. Let's hope we can 3 to 4 points from our next two away games.

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
IMO, yesterday the main problem with the defence- the pairing on the right hand side of it and the stupid giving away of freekicks. Oh' and the total lack of concentration of the goalie for the 1st goal.

Totally agree with your point about needless free kicks. As soon as Tex fouled their player in our third I knew there would be trouble. It gave Forest a free kick in a dangerous area just before half time. We are writing our own script at the moment. Chris hopefully bollocked Tex for that one.

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
IMO, yesterday the main problem with the defence- the pairing on the right hand side of it and the stupid giving away of freekicks. Oh' and the total lack of concentration of the goalie for the 1st goal.

I'd agree with this, a couple of times yesterday there were 50/50 balls to be won and Bruno just walked in the direction of the ball. He didn't get close and then when the ball had passed him just walking back whilst Forest were attacking.
With a right back playing so poorly of course that's going to put pressure on the centre halfs as they have to adjust their position to compensate.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
surely the OP is :fishing:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I've started some stupid threads in my time but this would beat them all.

Dunk is a great prospect. Confident on the ball, defends well, great at set pieces. His only flaw is he occasionally switches off. But that can improve.

He will definitely play in the premiership.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Unbelievable thread.

As with any young player, there are a few aspects of his mental game which could do with improving but in all other areas Dunk plays like a seasoned pro. For me he's been one of the stand-out players of the season and I'd be amazed if he didn't at least challenge for POTS.

As for the 'loves himself' comment, I find it utterly bizarre that someone would think that.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
At the moment Dunk is the only sparkle in a very poor back four that have all suddenly got old and past their best before date and should all be replaced ASAP.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
I think Dunk is potentially a very good defender, but still has much to learn about positioning and technique.

His pace sometimes get him out of situations he wouldn't get himself in if he was a better player.

But for me Dunk's main problem is he absolutely loves himself. Think's he's the the dogs bollocks and is better than he actually is. Very bad attitude IMO.

He'd be completely found out if he got to play in the Premier League anytime soon.

Interesting and I probably agree, sounds like another 'Fozzie' to me. I feel that Dunk goes to ground too early and need to stand on his feet more. Can't discount his contribution to the goal tally, but he is primarily a defender and I would agree not. as good as many of our fans think.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
He will definitely play in the premiership.

Not in the view of a Premier scout who says he is too slow in thought and action and very one footed. His view is that he is playing at the correct level and will continue to do so unless we get promoted and he goes up with us. He is not as good and have the potential as the 2 at AFCB (both ex BHA). A scouts view not mine but it is all about opinions.

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
Mark Lawrenson. No positional sense, slow, couldn't time a tackle.

Steve Foster. Always dodged a challenge. Dreadful header of the ball.

Danny Cullip. Limp as a lettuce leaf. No passion.

All of these are about as accurate as the OP's comment.

Not to mention that Vicente fella - dreadful first first touch and totally lacking any skill.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
At the moment Dunk is the only sparkle in a very poor back four that have all suddenly got old and past their best before date and should all be replaced ASAP.

Can't disagree with that.
Bruno and Bennett are just embarrassingly poor. Possibly, the worst fullbacks in the division. Calderon is past his sell-by date, like Greer, who has relied on experience to cover up his physical limitation ( knock-knees ) but is now showing his age.
Major overhaul needed.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Not in the view of a Premier scout who says he is too slow in thought and action and very one footed. His view is that he is playing at the correct level and will continue to do so unless we get promoted and he goes up with us. He is not as good and have the potential as the 2 at AFCB (both ex BHA). A scouts view not mine but it is all about opinions.

Bobby Moore wasn't exceptionally quick......just saying..

Steve Cook a better prospect......I suggest the "scout" doesn't have a scooby IMO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here