Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Massive v Huddersfield

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Have you got a link for that?
The definition I'm reading says "Words spoken over the air on television or radio are treated as libel (written defamation) and not slander on the theory that broadcasting reaches a large audience as much if not more than printed publications", so if it's not being televised, it's not a broadcast that's reaching a large audience.

I studied it as part of my degree, :thumbsup:

Slander is the threat of a single publication through a medium incapable of mass dissemination, longevity, or permanence - key word is incapable. If it's recorded it is capable of mass dissemination and it would be classed as libel. http://defamation.laws.com/defamation-laws/libel-vs-slander

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Rhodes refused take a penalty? 10mil well spent...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Wa**er made enemies of others too, think Monk.

But the Owis acted as if they were CL winners last year after knocking out an Albion team with unprecedented injuries and missing DS due to an injustice.

Karma at Wembley last year and now the icing on the cake.

The cherry on the icing on the cake being Boro going down [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Posted tonight on owlstalk. They mention their legendary home play off game against us last May.

"It was a nervous crowd tonight, and that transferred to the pitch, especially towards the end and during the penalties.

All day I saw posts and comments from fans saying how nervous they were and how they were feeling sick, etc. I think that went on too much and made everyone too nervous instead of excited.

There wasn't the continuous legendary 'wall of noise' we had against Brighton last season and it showed in the performance on the pitch. Last season it was the crowd that carried the team through that game and were the extra man. We were all awesome for a while after our goal and for that time Huddersfield were at sixes and sevens struggling with the atmosphere against them, but it died down too quickly.

And we just weren't intimidating enough during their penalties and didn't take advantage of kicking at the Kop end.

Carlos and the team have all said time and time again the fans are the 12th man and make the difference - we need to live up to that like we absolutely can if we're in this position again next season (heck, throughout the whole season as we go for automatic!!)."

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Northwich, 'Boro, Sunderland, Daarby, The Villa, Massive, Enormous Champions of the World Leeds, 'Ull and the Wemberlee losers. Gonna be a fun League next year, might watch it if I can stay awake for C5 after MOTD.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
14300580140631.jpg

comment_L8z1dxvXog45eoBVS3YptSp2ER1eR5L2.jpg

471.jpg

83f.png

a53.jpg

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Slander is the threat of a single publication through a medium incapable of mass dissemination, longevity, or permanence - key word is incapable. If it's recorded it is capable of mass dissemination and it would be classed as libel. http://defamation.laws.com/defamation-laws/libel-vs-slander
Why have you quoted a US site?

You say the key word is 'incapable', but that doesn't match the article you've quoted. For example, it the article says "It is unclear at this point whether the transmittal of defamatory statement over the internet constitutes libel or slander" (although I would imagine they're libel). You can't say that statements over the internet are 'incapable' of mass dissemination, so I don't see evidence that that is the key word.

If members of the crowd make defamatory remarks, and the only video evidence is that which the claimant records, then those videos aren't being published. Where such videos are published, the publisher of the videos could be drawn into the case as a defendant.

It's good to know that if the comments are recorded by the main broadcaster, then that's libel rather than slander, but if they're not, it still looks like slander to me.

D

Deleted member 22389

Watched it last night on Sky, couldn't believe my ears when the commentator said the Premier League needs Sheff Wed, or something along those lines.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Watched it last night on Sky, couldn't believe my ears when the commentator said the Premier League needs Sheff Wed, or something along those lines.

Of course the Premier league needs Wednesday, it's barely been surviving without them for the past 15 years.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Northwich, 'Boro, Sunderland, Daarby, The Villa, Massive, Enormous Champions of the World Leeds, 'Ull and the Wemberlee losers. Gonna be a fun League next year, might watch it if I can stay awake for C5 after MOTD.

You mean stay awake for MOTD after the championship highlights?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Chortle.

Memories of gloating, barely coherent Wednesday fans at Falmer station last year spring to mind. Marvellous scenes.

And at Hillsborough that night in the semi final. Typical Yarkshire lack of grace. They make Man Utd fans look humble.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
£10 million striker Jordan Rhodes didn't want to take a penalty, according to reports.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Owlstalk is a very, very good read on this fine Thursday morning.

Indeed:

'Been a fun 2 years but need a new man at the helm and just to go all out at auto next season.Play offs are for mugs.No Brighton or Newcastle to worry about next season.'

Who'd have thunk it. Massive worried about little old us.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Why have you quoted a US site?

You say the key word is 'incapable', but that doesn't match the article you've quoted. For example, it the article says "It is unclear at this point whether the transmittal of defamatory statement over the internet constitutes libel or slander" (although I would imagine they're libel). You can't say that statements over the internet are 'incapable' of mass dissemination, so I don't see evidence that that is the key word.

If members of the crowd make defamatory remarks, and the only video evidence is that which the claimant records, then those videos aren't being published. Where such videos are published, the publisher of the videos could be drawn into the case as a defendant.

It's good to know that if the comments are recorded by the main broadcaster, then that's libel rather than slander, but if they're not, it still looks like slander to me.

You're wrong, but I can see why you think that - it's a complicated issue. Put simply, if a defamatory comment is captured on any form of recorded media it's libel, not slander. Slander is only applied to the spoken word, it doesn't have the opportunity to live on past the one occurrence and thus carries a less severe punishment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here