Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hughton's defensive tactics

B52

Jan 23, 2013
Super Seaford From the South
Fine have your moment of doom and gloom personally I will be spending the summer reflecting on an amazing season with a great group of players and a manager that has taken us from relegation candidates to the premier league in 2 seasons

I will also be enjoying the summer looking forward to the premier league, but there is no denying what a very disappointing finish it was however you try to dress it up

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Wonder if Tony will cull him early doors like Southampton did Adkins [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yes the players made mistakes but against a 10 man midtable side we shouldn't be inviting them onto us like we did, just control possession. It's a tactical shortcoming of Hughton's i'm afraid.

Rubbish. Hughton bought on March as more threat. No way he tactically told them to sit back, the players did that. Managers can only control a certain amount on a pitch - honestly, no way you could put that down to Hughton, the players have to perform.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Rubbish. Hughton bought on March as more threat. No way he tactically told them to sit back, the players did that. Managers can only control a certain amount on a pitch - honestly, no way you could put that down to Hughton, the players have to perform.

So you're telling me the players instinctively defend that deep, against 10 men? We should probably get rid of the lot then as those tendencies won't wash in the Premier League. Or, they were acting under instruction...

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
So you're telling me the players instinctively defend that deep, against 10 men? We should probably get rid of the lot then as those tendencies won't wash in the Premier League. Or, they were acting under instruction...

2 teams on a football pitch, you can't always execute what you're planning to do. Villa with 10 took risks and we were crap keeping possession - you think Hughton told them to give the ball away!!? He'd have taken Baldock off had he wanted to go defensive and he didn't. Players only ones to blame for sitting so deep.

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
I think it's really unfair to try criticise Hughton. The last thing of note that he could control was bringing on March which was positive and made the difference for the goal. For whatever, reason the team have had a tendency to sit back when one goal up all season. Usually we have been ok, but in the end that habit cost us. We should have gone for the second goal.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
His mistake did not cost us the title. The 180 mins of sub-par outfield performances in the prior two games cost us the title.

But him letting in that shot literally did cost us the title. Therefore I am right and you are wrong

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
His tactics are not defensive. We play with two up front and two wingers in a 4 4 2. The issue is that there are two teams on a football pitch and other teams have quite a few players that individually are better than ours. We are where we are because of team effort and tactics and in spite of our limitations.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
There'll be time for constructive criticism next season when we aren't winning most of our games

Oh Blimey, you will be kicking off in early September then. And reading some of today's comments it won't be 'constructive criticism' just frustrated uninformed assertion about lack of effort, players who should have been shipped out and aren't up to it in PL, new players who have played 5 games and clearly rubbish, CH can't manage in PL, TB lacks ambition (yes, even that one does come out occasionally)

Let's be clear: we will not win most of our games next season, there are only five teams in PL who have won most of their games. WBA in 8th place have won 12 out of 35. We really do need to get adjusted to this before it happens.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Hugely disappointing for all concerned, given that we really should have tied it all up against Brizzle; however, a wonderful season and exciting times ahead.However, I can't help remembering our previous ascent to the old 1st Division and recall enjoying the journey rather more than the arrival. It all seemed a bit of an anti climax for some strange reason.
Anyway, we've done it, so enjoy the summer, if it ever arrives.
In the meantime, I really do think that a substantial wedge will have to be spent if we are to survive and then thrive.:)

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Norwich fans moaned about them, admittedly we haven't seen many adverse affects in his time here, but 11vs10 1-0 up in the last match of the season with a chance to win the Championship and we stack 11 men behind the ball instead of pushing for a 2nd, against a team with nothing to play for. Doesn't omen well for next year...

Yeah, let's get in Colin Wanker or Dancing Alan or Fat Sam or any other of the English Serial Loser Managers Club for the big fat paydays they take for granted from mug chairmen. Sake!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
But him letting in that shot literally did cost us the title. Therefore I am right and you are wrong

Stockdale's incredible penalty saves meant that we weren't also-rans this season. It's silly to pinpoint one moment in an entire season. Even looking at one game, professional analysts look at the mistakes that led to the free kick, killer passes not made first time, chances missed by strikers, and who's to say Villa might have scored later on anyway.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Yeah, let's get in Colin Wanker or Dancing Alan or Fat Sam or any other of the English Serial Loser Managers Club for the big fat paydays they take for granted from mug chairmen. Sake!

That's clearly what I said isn't it, oh no wait, it isn't. I like Hughton, classy guy and class manager but he needs to sort out the backs to the wall tactics when we are only 1 goal in front. When you're against ten men and concede and fail to win two games in a season which you were leading it's obviously not good enough.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
That's clearly what I said isn't it, oh no wait, it isn't. I like Hughton, classy guy and class manager but he needs to sort out the backs to the wall tactics when we are only 1 goal in front. When you're against ten men and concede and fail to win two games in a season which you were leading it's obviously not good enough.

Yeah but you think this is purely down to tactics rather than to do with performance. I don't believe Hughton is shouting instructions onto the pitch for the players to start defending deep - I believe they do that through their own performance and the opposition getting a foothold in the game. You have to give Villa some credit, we were crap, nothing tactical about it, we just couldn't pass the ball half the time. You obviously feel Hughton at some point gave instructions to start defending, but this makes no sense if he had a substitution still to make but he left on March, Baldock, Knockeart and Murray. If you believe it is 'backs against the wall tactics' as instructed, then you would substitute Baldock for a 3rd central midfielder.

Manager's don't control as much as you think. Players respond to their own performance, and what the other team are doing. We had our foot on their throat after the penalty, but we kept giving the ball away and not taking our chances. I suspect if you chatted to CH, he'd be just as annoyed as you the team ended up defending so deep, I seriously doubt it was instructions from him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here