Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

John Lewis coming to the old Boots store at Clock Tower.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
It also says a lot about NSC that the news broke locally here and the Argus is still nowhere near it. I got it from a very widely read Property website, so am amazed it hasn't hit the Argus desk yet.

My guess is they will have caught up my midday. Any other bids?

I was miles out!

A mere 21 hours after it broke on NSC the Argus finally catches up. At least they haven't claimed an exclusive, albeit the first half of their piece is virtually verbatim what Property Week said:

"UPMARKET department store John Lewis could be coming to Brighton after acquiring a prime city centre site.

The partnership has bought the current home of Boots in 129-133 North Street, Brighton. John Lewis confirmed it now owns the site – but said its long-held ambition to have a presence in the city was a “considerable way off”. A business leader said the move could be the most exciting retail development since Churchill Square opened some 15 years ago.

It is understood John Lewis has been searching for a suitable site in the city for more than a decade. A spokeswoman said: “We can confirm that John Lewis PLC is now the owner of 129-133 North Street in Brighton. This will not impact the current tenants and the businesses will continue to trade as normal for the foreseeable future.

“We do have an ambition to eventually have a presence in Brighton, but plans for this are a considerable way off.”

The business is owned by staff, or partners, and is part of the same group as Waitrose. There are currently 43 John Lewis stores in the country, with one currently being built in Horsham.

Tony Mernagh, executive chairman of the economic partnership, said: “John Lewis has been interested in Brighton for the last 15 years but they are a company that can afford to take its time deciding where to locate.

“There have been various discussions with them by various developers over the years about various sites in Brighton, in Hove and on the outskirts of the city but none have gone beyond the talking stage.”

Gavin Stewart manager of the Brighton Business Improvement District, added: “It’s great news that John Lewis have a long awaited foothold in the city and we will be keeping a close eye on how things develop. By increasing their property portfolio in this prime city centre site, it gives Brighton the seal of approval from one of Britain’s biggest retailers.”

Well done the Argus. Note to editor- Keep reading NSC and you might just keep up with what's going on in your town!!

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Oops-but I am old school, and it was a town when I left. As it was the Palace Pier!!

Jimmy Come Lately

Registered Loser
Oct 27, 2011
Hove
John Lewis has announced today that work on the Brighton store will not be proceeding.

"‘We acquired the site positive that we could build a John Lewis shop. However, having explored all options, we cannot deliver a shop on this site with the extent of demolition and rebuilding required. We would like to thank local people for their active participation in the consultation of our draft plans, as well as Brighton Council for its very positive engagement through the planning process."

Disappointed.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Brighton in the Prem
John Lewis in the city

Brighton really has hit jackpot

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
John Lewis has announced today that work on the Brighton store will not be proceeding.

"‘We acquired the site positive that we could build a John Lewis shop. However, having explored all options, we cannot deliver a shop on this site with the extent of demolition and rebuilding required. We would like to thank local people for their active participation in the consultation of our draft plans, as well as Brighton Council for its very positive engagement through the planning process."

Disappointed.

Is anyone really surprised?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Brighton in the Prem
John Lewis in the city

Brighton really has hit jackpot
Don't think you quite got it, John Lewis NOT coming.
Where were Boots going if JL were going there and what has happened to BHS, is it empty and if so how about JL going there?

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Don't think you quite got it, John Lewis NOT coming.
Where were Boots going if JL were going there and what has happened to BHS, is it empty and if so how about JL going there?

Boot were supposed to be moving into Churchill Square.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Seagrrl

Jan 22, 2012
Hove
I suspect the expanded Churchill Square may be a better fit for them, and probably cheaper.
The BHS site is too small even for a small John Lewis.
The wait continues...

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The problem with big retail now is it is cheaper for John Lewis to build something new from scratch than take on an pre-existing building.

Horsham, Chichester, Haywards Heath all prove this

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Paid online for a £999 mattress from John Lewis yesterday delivery slot Friday pm...just had this conversation...
Wife: John Lewis aren't coming now.
Me: Why the f*** not?
Wife: Decided not to.
Me: Decided not to?
Wife: Yes you'd think they'd go into the old BHS if Boots is no good.
Me: But I ordered a John Lewis one, when are they going to deliver?
Wife: The store you ******

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Paid online for a £999 mattress from John Lewis yesterday delivery slot Friday pm...just had this conversation...
Wife: John Lewis aren't coming now.
Me: Why the f*** not?
Wife: Decided not to.
Me: Decided not to?
Wife: Yes you'd think they'd go into the old BHS if Boots is no good.
Me: But I ordered a John Lewis one, when are they going to deliver?
Wife: The store you ******

:lolol:

Go on, what did the wife call you?

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I hate reading... i obviously missed something... maybe there is already a JL there but it's just moving.

Nope, nearest is Horsham I think

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here