Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
The sub-prime and REIT bubbles burst in 2007. The effects were felt then in both financial services and construction. The run on Northern Rock was September 2007 and BNP Paribas liquidity problem was before then.

Officially, yes as an economy, we did enter recession in 2008, but it was felt in 2007 in both construction as [MENTION=26105]Soulman[/MENTION] points out and worked in and financial services, which I worked in.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
It will not " delay the inevitable " but will merely open up the government's strategy to parliamentary scrutiny, people with better minds than the likes of Letwin, Davis and Fox. Brexit is a serious thing, far too serious to be entrusted to a shady few who are desperate to leave at any cost in order to get to the Promised Land or Valhalla.

How ridiculous is that, if heading into negotiations to get the best deal possible you don't let the other side know what you will settle for before negotiations start. It weakens our position and can lead to a worse deal for the country. Will the EU be sharing their strategy with the public first before being able to enter into these negotiations - clearly no as it's not in their interest, yet some have decided it's needed here before we start

Parliament have been discussing Brexit ever since the votes result was first known on June 24th, why do we need to go through this and debate it again before they can act upon the result that achieved a majority in an open, fair and free election and start he exit negotiations?

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
48% voted against this train-wreck and deserve compromise. We'll leave but hopefully Parliament will ensure not on terms that will further destabilise the economy. If we have to pay into the EU and accept free movement it is a price worth paying for access to the single market.

How many times. It does not matter if it was 20%, 40% 1.5% . The MAJORITY was to leave. What part of that don't you get?

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
It's a load of old twaddle....this has been on the cards for years and nothing was mentioned about this until now!!
Most politicians want "in" because it's another gravy train for them to jump on in the EU.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
It's a load of old twaddle....this has been on the cards for years and nothing was mentioned about this until now!!
Most politicians want "in" because it's another gravy train for them to jump on in the EU.

Exactly. Probably why Bliar wants us to stay in.

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
Quote at 14-28.......... "It always starts earlier in the construction industry , started October 2007 FYI. "..........Go look.

Do I have to spell it out for you? We were not in recession in 2007 regardless of the downturn in the construction and Financial sectors, it's not measured by your misfortunes. I know this is a bit complicated but lets be clear, you cannot say you were in recession.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I'm afraid that is quite frankly ridiculous, you cannot be in recession just because you felt like you were in one, it's like me taking a lower rate contract and claiming i'm in recession, I'm affected yes but clearly not in recession. The UK went into recession in the 2nd quarter of 2008, it's a fact and not for the first time on here [MENTION=26105]Soulman[/MENTION] was wrong.

Dont be daft, Soulman said 2007 without so much as a google, then others googled their way to 2008 as if it was relevent to the point he was making.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Do I have to spell it out for you? We were not in recession in 2007 regardless of the downturn in the construction and Financial sectors, it's not measured by your misfortunes. I know this is a bit complicated but lets be clear, you cannot say you were in recession.

Why not, my Industry was in recession, it was not on the up, jobs were being stopped mid job, new projects were being put on hold, operatives and management were being laid off....... that in my world is a recession.

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
Why not, my Industry was in recession, it was not on the up, jobs were being stopped mid job, new projects were being put on hold, operatives and management were being laid off....... that in my world is a recession.

Your world, haha :lolol:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

I agree with your point here for what it's worth, as I know full well it was happening in my sector too at the time, as well as yours. A recession though is officially defined as 2 successive quarters of contraction, though as you say the feeling on the ground/in the real world is somewhat different.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I see the most pointless MP in the country has had her say! Nice one Caroline!

Quality. No link to what she said, nor any attempt to debunk it point by point. If anything's pointless it's this post.

Caroline Lucas is a fantastic constituency MP. She couldn't have her nose further from the trough, she represents the people who voted for her in ways that have nothing to do with ecology / green issues and is exactly the sort of MP I'd vote for if i lived in Brighton Pavilion. I say that as someone who got exasperated with Kitkat and the council too. My friend votes for her even though he's a Tory because of the support she gave to his family when he lost his son.

She's a lot like Andrew Bowden was in Kemp Town. She gets elected as a person rather than a rosette. I'd argue that makes her one if the most relevant MPs there are. And while the UK voted out, Brighton & Hove voted remain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Ooh, so this was my quote at 14-28 "It always starts earlier in the construction industry , started October 2007 FYI. "......... College boy.

Which you posted only after it was pointed out you were wrong (again). Also just because something fails does not make it a recession.
I suppose in your world because BHS went bust the retail sector is in recession.
However there is a definition of recession which is used for consistency and that didnt occur until 2008.
No doubt you will now use your usual belief excuse for being wrong.

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
Dont be daft, Soulman said 2007 without so much as a google, then others googled their way to 2008 as if it was relevent to the point he was making.

Maybe [MENTION=26105]Soulman[/MENTION] should start using Google, he would have half a chance of being right.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I agree with your point here for what it's worth, as I know full well it was happening in my sector too at the time, as well as yours. A recession though is officially defined as 2 successive quarters of contraction, though as you say the feeling on the ground/in the real world is somewhat different.

Yes, i agree, but i did post "It always starts earlier in the construction industry , started October 2007 FYI." at 14-28, just a couple of trigger happy posters just waiting to diss my posts.
As you say, unlike one poster who was still vying to be a Prefect, and others who are not in the industry or yours, we both know full well.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here