Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Does Everyone Hate the English?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
You just made that up, for effect. Nobody would ever do that in real life.

I wish I were lying, I really do.

Used to work with someone who put in the milk, then the water and then she'd dunk the teabag, once, and call it a brew.

I've just thrown up in my mouth thinking about it.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I tend not to pay attention to anyone who hates another person, or group of people, based on something like their nationality. Or gender. Or sexuality. Or political leaning. Or religion.

If you're going to hate someone do it for a good reason. Like putting the milk in before the teabag, for instance.

Agreed, of course - Thought I also ignore positive stereotypes as they legitimise the other side. Claiming all Welsh blokes are harmonic singers or that the Irish are just a jolly old friendly bunch enjoying the crack is equally preposterous.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I wish I were lying, I really do.

Used to work with someone who put in the milk, then the water and then she'd dunk the teabag, once, and call it a brew.

I've just thrown up in my mouth thinking about it.

Sounds disgusting. I guess it would come out looking colourwise like something you could paint the walls with and call it magnolia.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Deep down everyone respects the English. We're not the biggest or most populated or the richest by any means.

They love to hate us but they know we have a quality. We seem to have had one of the most positive influences on the modern world and we have been a leader. English is the most widely spoken language by number of countries (not native or people).

Who knows what will happen over the next centuries, we won't be here to find out.

At this particular moment the rest of the world is laughing at us. I read an article by a German journalist (Der Spiegel) in an English newspaper a few days ago where he said he loved England and the English (British), but that we are seen as a laughing stock over BREXIT and all the shenanigans over it.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
At this particular moment the rest of the world is laughing at us. I read an article by a German journalist (Der Spiegel) in an English newspaper a few days ago where he said he loved England and the English (British), but that we are seen as a laughing stock over BREXIT and all the shenanigans over it.
Yeah, that must be right cos one journo has written it. :ffsparr:

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

In fairness (like many others) I speak to people across the world every working day - Regarding Brexit, the reaction of the Americans, for instance, is one of bewilderment/disbelief, kind of the reverse of what many of us think of them and Trump, but worse. I'm yet to to speak to any senior person in business in the UK or beyond who thinks it was a good idea. We have our opinions of course but there's little doubt what the rest of the world thinks which for some of you, I'm sure, is no bad thing!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Deep down everyone respects the English. We're not the biggest or most populated or the richest by any means.

They love to hate us but they know we have a quality. We seem to have had one of the most positive influences on the modern world and we have been a leader. English is the most widely spoken language by number of countries (not native or people).

Who knows what will happen over the next centuries, we won't be here to find out.

I don't think we've ever appreciated the impact the Empire had on the world.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

That's just one example! I am well aware that there are plenty of people all over the place who wonder what on earth we are playing at..... to put it mildly.

:ffsparr: yourself!

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Only place I've ever been spat at was Ulster,Long Kesh in particular.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
In fairness (like many others) I speak to people across the world every working day - Regarding Brexit, the reaction of the Americans, for instance, is one of bewilderment/disbelief, kind of the reverse of what many of us think of them and Trump, but worse. I'm yet to to speak to any senior person in business in the UK or beyond who thinks it was a good idea. We have our opinions of course but there's little doubt what the rest of the world thinks which for some of you, I'm sure, is no bad thing!

Ditto, although the Americans I speak to every day don't care anymore. They think we are all mad and can't believe in a world dominated by china, India and the Us we are expecting countries to be falling over themselves to trade with us.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
That's just one example! I am well aware that there are plenty of people all over the place who wonder what on earth we are playing at..... to put it mildly.

:ffsparr: yourself!

Lol, I have extensive German family, many of whom are envious of our extrication from the mess that is the EU. There are huge numbers of people in the EU who want Brexit to succeed as it will lay a path for their own country's independence. Nothing wrong with self-governance ;). I think that most people just believe what they want to believe and hear what they want to hear and disregard opposing voices, this trait is evident both sides of the argument.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Lol, I have extensive German family, many of whom are envious of our extrication from the mess that is the EU. There are huge numbers of people in the EU who want Brexit to succeed as it will lay a path for their own country's independence. Nothing wrong with self-governance ;). I think that most people just believe what they want to believe and hear what they want to hear and disregard opposing voices, this trait is evident both sides of the argument.

Yup.

I’ve been working with a load of Germans of late...and the conversation goes thus: “you are mad,we are Europeans together...why on earth do you leave” to which I say “do you want more Turks.?” Nein....then, my friends....vote out.

It’s never failed yet.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I’m with Cecil Rhodes. “To be born an Englishman is to win the first prize in the Lottery of life”

I believe that England, and Englishness, fair play, sticking up for the underdog, and our legacy of empire is (irrespective of the racism that capitulation engendered) is a massive influence on the world today. We saved Europe from the “Dark Science” of Nazism and dashed our empire on the rocks of Those who would enslave mankind.

Not a bad account all in all.

Boy, that's some revisionist history not based in fact.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Boy, that's some revisionist history not based in fact.

Don't think it was, but it's no longer relevant or true in the context of today's world so bit pointless stating i.e. a great chunk of English people don't identify with one heritage or culture anymore let alone the same one as say 50 years ago.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
They think we are all mad and can't believe in a world dominated by china, India and the Us we are expecting countries to be falling over themselves to trade with us.
Not sure anyone thought those countries would be falling over themselves to trade with us :shrug:

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Don't think the Argies are too keen.

To the contrary. I found them really lovely and incredibly welcoming. Except some in Buenos Aires. They're just the Latin American version of Parisians, in that they seem to just feel contempt for absolutely everybody.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Don't think it was, but it's no longer relevant or true in the context of today's world so bit pointless stating i.e. a great chunk of English people don't identify with one heritage or culture anymore let alone the same one as say 50 years ago.

I'm not you can even say 'anymore', the history of the British Isles is one of continual flux of cultural, religious, political changes that has never really had one heritage or culture to relate to. What is English is an ideological concept that doesn't really have defining moment. Of course this isn't a negative, this continual state of flux, cultural, social, political evolution and going with it is probably itself as identifiable as an English trait through the ages.

Really interesting to see the science behind the conclusion that there was no 'Saxon Invasion' as history has always alluded to, there are no battle fields or anything to suggest any great conflicts, all we have is evidence of the Saxons coming over here, trading their fancy trinkets, settling in our towns, marrying our women, drinking our mead...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here