Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our recruitment why leave our business so late?

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
I think CH has said that some deals have been scuppered by player wage demands rather than fees.

What did he expect? Tony Cascarino warned in the Times a couple of weeks ago that the club's £40kpw salary cap would be a problem. I don't know where he got that info from or even whether it is true, but CH's comments and the difficulty of attracting players who perform in the most expensive position on the pitch suggests it is.

The club is brilliantly managed by a true blue philanthropic owner in for the long-term but I can't see how anyone can say that at very least there has been some naïveté in this process. Usually positive and very much at licker end of spectrum, I am not at all optimistic this will end satisfactorily.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
What did he expect? Tony Cascarino warned in the Times a couple of weeks ago that the club's £40kpw salary cap would be a problem. I don't know where he got that info from or even whether it is true, but CH's comments and the difficulty of attracting players who perform in the most expensive position on the pitch suggests it is.

The club is brilliantly managed by a true blue philanthropic owner in for the long-term but I can't see how anyone can say that at very least there has been some naïveté in this process. Usually positive and very much at licker end of spectrum, I am not at all optimistic this will end satisfactorily.

I don't know if it's true but I'd be amazed if it was set in stone, TB is all about value and a player that "should" be a 100k a week man available for much less would be value. Tammy Abraham's wage was 50k a week anyway and we agreed that part.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Our recruitment why leave our business so late?
Why do we all go to watch football? It's entertainment, that's why. Our club are in the entertainment business and it's clearly the most entertaining to leave it to the last minute.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I don't know if it's true but I'd be amazed if it was set in stone, TB is all about value and a player that "should" be a 100k a week man available for much less would be value. Tammy Abraham's wage was 50k a week anyway and we agreed that part.

How do you know Abraham is on 50k.. ? pure psecualtion from the press or you ?

An educated guess maybe but honestly you have no idea, it really could be 40k or less for all we/you know.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
How do you know Abraham is on 50k.. ? pure psecualtion from the press or you ?

An educated guess maybe but honestly you have no idea, it really could be 40k or less for all we/you know.

Ok, fair enough. My point really was that given TB's methodology I would be surprised if we had a wage cap. I might be wrong but I doubt it. Do you disagree?

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
More likely to be a general unwillingness to pay anything over our value of any given player, including wages. As far as I can see we are in a Premiership minority in adopting this stance.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Ok, fair enough. My point really was that given TB's methodology I would be surprised if we had a wage cap. I might be wrong but I doubt it. Do you disagree?

The club may well have aspired to have a cap of say £45k. But the crazy market and the desparate need for strikers has probably raised that figure substantually.

With 37 hours to go, if Zohore, Niasse or Ings all won't budge on £65k a week, with other clubs in for them, the Albion would have the choice of commit to that or face the season with next to no strikers = a loss of £100m income when relegated.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

You were probably correct on the £50k per week:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/06/28/tammy-abraham-sign-50k-a-week-chelsea-contract-joining-swansea/amp/

Telegraph writers would know far more than someone guessing on NSC.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
My only hope is we do not purchase a striker who is purchased for purchase sake.

We have done this before, and say there is our solution.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

I suspect there is a wage limit. i dont think we are going to drop an extra 10k a week on our top earners for new strikers who have done nothing for us as it were

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
I suspect there is a wage limit. i dont think we are going to drop an extra 10k a week on our top earners for new strikers who have done nothing for us as it were

No worries. Neither of us know and our guesses differ.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Much as it pains me to say it, because I think we're doomed without at least one good striker, it shouldn't be forgotten that absolutely THE most important thing is that a club with our history doesn't take reckless gambles and end up in financial trouble. If that means we can't afford to compete at this moment in time, then so be it.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Much as it pains me to say it, because I think we're doomed without at least one good striker, it shouldn't be forgotten that absolutely THE most important thing is that a club with our history doesn't take reckless gambles and end up in financial trouble. If that means we can't afford to compete at this moment in time, then so be it.

Well we would be, period.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I had a look at top goal scorers for the bottom six last season. Only two of them had a striker who scored more than 10 goals: Swansea who finished in 15th (Llorente) and Sunderland who finished 20th (Defoe).

We obviously need a striker, we all know it and the club has said that's the aim but to survive we need goals from all over the pitch; players like Knockaert, March and Izquierdo when he beds in.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that spending massive money on a striker might not help us at all even if he does bang in 15 goals.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
It's not meant to prove anything. I feel fairly confident the club has been working hard to get someone in but bad luck and greedy agents haven't helped. We all want the same thing, so I can't imagine PB or TB saying we won't bother now we've got promoted.

You can't odds "bad luck" but greedy agents can hardly have come as a shock to the club. Now we are in the top tier the agents are just more greedy and the club should have factored that in when considering life in the PL and the price they would have to pay for the quality we need to survive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here