Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which Books have you Failed to Finish?

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
The fifth Game of Thrones book. It asks you to invest in totally new characters to too larger degree and that lack of emotional connection made it feel painfully slow.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
The Bible.

Thought I'd read it once. Got bored. Was a bit repetitive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
tons!

Lord of the Rings - too many characters for my brain to cope with

Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee - too painfully sad

Kurt Cobain bio - too disturbing

Junkie by William Burroughs - really good book, but some reason it sends me into a trance

The Making of Ireland - too boring

Any manual printed in 8pt type in every language but English

Oh and a Sci-Fi I can't even remember the title of

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
I also cant finish Orhan Pamuk's A strangeness of my Mind, nothing happens a tedious length . It may be the translation but his prose isn't great either

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Another one for The Lord of the Rings. I found the films tedious, but the book is in a whole different class.

I didn't finish The Hobbit either. Probably because I was about 8 when I tried to read it.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Not a great writer, but his books are really easy to read because they are so unchallenging. Sometimes that has an appeal. I think I would struggle not to finish a Peter James book only for that reason. For some reason I'm unfamiliar with that particular title. I wonder why???

Indeed. I find the Roy Grace books hard to put down. His other books are a bit hit and miss, but I've always finished them.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Tania French "The Secret Place". Liked her previous books, just couldn't get this one. Too many teenage conversations to keep up with, couldn't fathom who was speaking about who, and gave up. Still on my bookshelf, looking at me sorrowfully.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
The Road to Wigan Pier.

OK, I was trying to read it as a bored 14 year old, but I found it completely turgid. Gave up after about 50 pages.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I never finished "Something Happened" by Joseph Heller, despite trying for about 5 years.

Yeah, I was just going to post that. I did finish it, but it was extremely hard work. A mixture of brilliance and a special form of insanity. Must try it again!

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I like catch 22. Surprised so many people find it dull.

That said, my offering is Crime and Punishment. I found the writing incredibly longwinded and frankly boring and struggled to stay focused for more than a few paragraphs.

And Americana by Don Delillo. Dull dull dull.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Don't get all the criticism of LoTR - it's widely recognised as one of the greatest books written with hundreds of millions of fans and sales toboot. It might not be your cuppa but that doesn't make it tedious. Just you're not exactly target audience. I wouldn't try reading many of the classics because I can't say I'm interested in Mr Darcy's torso, beautifully described as it may be. I.e. Chances are I'll yawn my head off. I might not but chances are I will. I know this in ADVANCE! But I'd never call Jane Austin, Bronte, Dickins etc boring. Just not my style so I won't try and read them. You can judge a book to a degree by its cover. Seems some on here haven't got the wit to know that, no wonder they struggled to get beyond the preface if so!!

TOLKEIN IN!

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Don't get all the criticism of LoTR - it's widely recognised as one of the greatest books written with hundreds of millions of fans and sales toboot. It might not be your cuppa but that doesn't make it tedious. Just you're not exactly target audience. I wouldn't try reading many of the classics because I can't say I'm interested in Mr Darcy's torso, beautifully described as it may be. I.e. Chances are I'll yawn my head off. I might not but chances are I will. I know this in ADVANCE! But I'd never call Jane Austin, Bronte, Dickins etc boring. Just not my style so I won't try and read them. You can judge a book to a degree by its cover. Seems some on here haven't got the wit to know that, no wonder they struggled to get beyond the preface if so!!

TOLKEIN IN!

just because a book is a best seller it doesn't mean it's actually read and there is NO WAY you can judge a book by it's cover. I would recommend Wuthering Heights btw .... I couldn't put it down and read it in a day

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
The Unconsoled - Kazuo Ishiguro. God, that was a traumatic experience, probably the only book I couldn't finish due to the unrelenting, pretentious tedium.

Moby Dick - I just managed to get over the line with that one, but again very, very dull.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here