Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shameful

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Eh?

Sovereign Grant
noun
noun: Sovereign Grant

(in the UK) the allowance provided annually by the government to support the Queen in her official duties, which replaced the Civil List in 2011.

Who pays for that then?

The Crown Estates. The Queen receives 15% back of what she donates to the Treasury, in the form of the Sovereign Grant. But then you know that because I have mentioned it countless times before.

Come on Albion, beat Villa tonight.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38025513

At a time of Brexit uncertainty and cost-cutting to health and benefit budgets, someone sees fit to spend £369m on refurbishing Buckingham Palace. It is high-time they chipped in for some of this and if they don't like it they should abdicate.

Cards on the table; I am a republican. But I really do feel that regardless of your opinions on who should be head of state, this is truly shameful. My wife volunteers at a family support charity called Welcare, and every week there are people turning up in tears, worried about not being able to pay the heating bill or being turfed out of rented accommodation. There is advice being given on how to keep warm without turning up the heating, or how to feed a family of four on ludicrously small amounts of money. Meanwhile, the biggest spongers in the country (who also happen to be the wealthiest) get looked after like this. It really is an absolute DISGRACE.

I voted for Brexit because I was sold a vision that after we leave the EU we would all be living in houses like Buck House :whistle:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If my son or daughter were in need, then I would house and feed them. They would never have to rely on charities because I would put family first.
And what if you had passed away having not been able to leave them anything? Who then looks after your son or daughter? That is the whole point of the welfare state and where I want my taxes spent, not on frivolous palace refurbishment.

I agree the government should be sorting out housing and welfare benefits, instead of lining their own pockets and the banks.
I see. So politicians are lining their own pockets and those of the banks, whereas spending £369m on palace refurbishment is all fine and perfectly normal?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Is this really about the royals or the upkeep of a building of historical significance?

Upkeep is one thing. A £369 million refurbishment is quite another. They shouldn't need to spend anything like that on just maintaining it.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Ah, thanks to [MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION] for informing it's coming out of the Sovereign Grant. I have no issue with that really. If it's coming direct out of that, with no other tax payer money topping up etc..., I have no issue.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I'll tell you what is also interesting - the BBC hasn't opened it's comments section. They never do when it comes to this sort of article. BBC - part of the establishment and royal lickspittles in chief.

Exactly. What I've been saying all along with their outrageously biased coverage of the referendum in remain's favour.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
And what if you had passed away having not been able to leave them anything? Who then looks after your son or daughter? That is the whole point of the welfare state and where I want my taxes spent, not on frivolous palace refurbishment.

I see. So politicians are lining their own pockets and those of the banks, whereas spending £369m on palace refurbishment is all fine and perfectly normal?

Bless you. My son and daughter have worked really hard, and are a lot richer than I have ever been. They are more likely to be looking after me, than the opposite.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
The French had the right idea, time to bring back the guillotine and chop their heads OFF

I agree. It's time we chopped all the frogs heads off. (sorry Knocky but it has to be done.)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Knock me down with a feather.

Good input. I take it you're OK with a palace being refurbished to the tune £369m whilst record numbers are being turfed onto the street? Doesn't this not imply to you that maybe the Royal family receive too much money, regardless of how it is done? I just think it is shocking, but as I say, that is because my wife has often come home visibly shaken having seen normal, decent people being reduced to quivering wrecks because of financial circumstance beyond their control.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
It's not really the same though is it? A president only uses the White House for 8 years.

A president has been using the white house since 1800 (216 years) predating Buckingham Palace becoming Royal residence by 37 years. But we all know you aren`t interested in facts...just provocative headlines.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
There is a debate being had as to whether or not to refurbish them at all and simply move to a new purpose-built building somewhere more central. It's a debate I'd welcome, quite frankly.

dont think there is, there is/was a debate about where to home the commons while they do the renovations. the work on the Palace of Westminter will be carried out, because we wont let such prestigious buildings decay and crumble away, which is what will happen eventually to Buckingham Palace if it isnt refurbished some time. or maybe we could have a petition to see if we'd rather that happen? there no financial benefit for keeping it even as a residence for the head of state, tear it down and build some flats would be good idea, but i dont think thats a realistic option.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Good input. I take it you're OK with a palace being refurbished to the tune £369m whilst record numbers are being turfed onto the street? Doesn't this not imply to you that maybe the Royal family receive too much money, regardless of how it is done? I just think it is shocking, but as I say, that is because my wife has often come home visibly shaken having seen normal, decent people being reduced to quivering wrecks because of financial circumstance beyond their control.

How can we justify taking £30 a week off of disabled people or a policy like the bedroom tax ? When we are giving £369million to the biggest family of SHIRKERS in the country

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here