Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official NSC swimming thread

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I can swim, but I can't if you know what I mean. I had a chat with a personal trainer a few years back who said that it took ages for it to 'click' into place for him.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
I swim like a fish thanks to lessons a long time ago @ King Alfred with the superbly named Mrs Spray. Once taught stays for life & highly recommended. Did 2 miles in pyjamas once, took a while
I swim 200+ times a year in a warm pool and rough sea, perks you up any time of day, with no issues with joints etc recommended

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
This is all great stuff, it's a shame that by the time I've reminded myself of all the advise on this thread, it'll be time to leave.

I'd be surprised if I'm twisting and crossing my arms, I imagine my freestyle to be more of a 'windmill' stroke, esp when I drag my hand across the bottom of the shallow end. Every time I do that I think 'that can't be good'.

I know I definitely drag my legs, my puny cyclist arms can't pull them, and my belly, through the water quick enough.

I am also going to try that advice at the Triangle tomorrow, but may be a bit tricky going down the flumes. My old swimming trainer at the Devonshire baths in Eastbourne (pre skateboard days) told me to imagine a barrel in front of me when doing freestyle that you had to reach over before your hands enter the water.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hello again, people of the pool.

As the weather has stopped my traditional, after work, Tues lunchtime 10 mile TT, I thought I'd go for my first post thread swim.

I did my usual 500m in 20 mins 2 x breaststroke 2 x Freestyle x 5.

I remembered [MENTION=13836]deletebeepbeepbeep[/MENTION] telling me to use a pull buoy, which seemed to go ok, but did have me zigzagging about a bit.
What does it say about my swimming that using a pull buoy for 250m didn't actually impact my time.
Although I can feel that my arms and chest have had a work out, which all new to a cyclist.

I did forget about 'spearing' my arms into the water until the last length, which seemed to go ok.

All in all a successful trip, thanks again.
(I would still rather have ridden :smile:)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Just did 16 lengths of an outside 50m pool. Air temperature 7C and heavy rain but pool a lovely 32C. Then had an ice bath, a dip in the hot tub and 5 minutes in a natural steam room. All for £2.50. One of the pleasures of an otherwise cold holiday in Iceland. Geothermal pools are in every town and better to smell of sulphur than chlorine. 3 weeks more outside swimming for me but may give the chemical King Alfred a miss when I return.

K2 at Crawley has better water and opens its full 50ms at set times but a bit of a way to travel for a swim.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It means that your legs are too low normally. Pull buoy will help with body position. Keep using it.

Doesn't it mean the opposite if the pull bouy didn't help?
I guess the question is:- 'should I be noticeably quicker or slower with a pull buoy?

My logic says I should have been slower, as I wasn't using my legs.
The fact that I wasn't means I don't have legs, just fleshy anchors.

But what do I know :shrug:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
It means that your legs are too low normally. Pull buoy will help with body position. Keep using it.

The pull buoy will only help while you're using it though; it's not going to correct a technique flaw, which is likely to be related to head position and overall balance. If anything, becoming too used to it will worsen the sinky legs and you'll be dependent on it.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I guess the question is:- 'should I be noticeably quicker or slower with a pull buoy?

My logic says I should have been slower, as I wasn't using my legs.
The fact that I wasn't means I don't have legs, just fleshy anchors.

But what do I know :shrug:

Most people's legs don't really propel them much in the front crawl; they will however cause a lot of drag if you don't lift them up in line them up with the front of your body. The pull buoy will help lift them to an extent, so if you suffered from sinking legs, then you should go faster.

However, rather than rely on the pull buoy, I'd suggest trying some balance drills to get used to pushing down with your chest to get your legs up without having to expend too much energy kicking.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm just back from my first 'proper' swim for a couple of weeks.

I'm still doing reps of 50m x breaststroke followed by 50m x FS.
Today I managed to squeeze into the same 20 minutes an extra 100m.

All 300 metres of FS was done with a pull buoy, and by jimminy do my shoulders know about now.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Got a coaching session last night, with video analysis.

Definitely not putting my limbs where I think! Plenty of things to work on (head position, leg position, crossing over, breathing timing, kick, hand entry, catch!) but hopefully start going quicker.

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
I use swimming as a break between running throughout the week. Try and swim for a mile. Been 3 times this week as I had a slight niggle. Roughly 1600 metres in 33 minutes. Been told by some proper swimmers my issues are wearing shorts and not Trunks and my stroke rate is a lot higher per length as I'm not reaching and dragging through enough. Working on it!!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I can't imagine how my effort to fair under scrutiny.
I'd like to swim 'properly' just because I'm sure it would take a lot the effort out, although I doubt I'll be able to change, old dog new tricks.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I can't imagine how my effort to fair under scrutiny.
I'd like to swim 'properly' just because I'm sure it would take a lot the effort out, although I doubt I'll be able to change, old dog new tricks.
Despite the list above, apparently I'm not too bad. By the end of the session it felt so much better - more like climbing a long climb in a good rhythm than mashing my way up a steep ascent in too big a gear!

I genuinely think it will make me faster but also improve my enjoyment - any exercise needs an element of being able to switch off and enjoy being in the flow of it

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Despite the list above, apparently I'm not too bad. By the end of the session it felt so much better - more like climbing a long climb in a good rhythm than mashing my way up a steep ascent in too big a gear!

I genuinely think it will make me faster but also improve my enjoyment - any exercise needs an element of being able to switch off and enjoy being in the flow of it
That's kind of where I'd like to get to, but it's clear that swimming isn't for me.
It's probably a bit 'catch 22'.
There just isn't the enjoyment factor, swimming is just a necessary 'evil' as the pool is down the end of my road, and I have to take Lil Miss Stat.

I had a rough ride yesterday, not feeling good and riding with Phil feeling even worse.
Yet it was infinitely more appealing than swimming!

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
That's kind of where I'd like to get to, but it's clear that swimming isn't for me.
It's probably a bit 'catch 22'.
There just isn't the enjoyment factor, swimming is just a necessary 'evil' as the pool is down the end of my road, and I have to take Lil Miss Stat.

I had a rough ride yesterday, not feeling good and riding with Phil feeling even worse.
Yet it was infinitely more appealing than swimming!
I felt the same, it was partly because it's very technique dependent and you can't just rely on the engine to get through but it's nice to see bug advances.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I felt the same, it was partly because it's very technique dependent and you can't just rely on the engine to get through but it's nice to see bug advances.
Hmmm technique dependent really isn't the sport for me, at the best of times.
I can feel myself getting more 'swim fit' quite quickly, thanks to the tips from here.
Probably based on such a initial low benchmark, I guess I should settle for that, and any other general info as I 'progress'.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I can certainly recommend some video analysis. Even having the things pointed out to me has helped massively.

Did my 8 x 200m session today and was managing 3.30 for each where I could barely manage 4.00 a few weeks ago.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here