Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mike Bamber

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Any history of disputes with the Bloom family of days gone by?

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Ron Pavey
:bowdown:

Mike Bamber :bowdown:

Clough & Taylor :bowdown:

There has got to be room for these true Legends to be commemorated at the Amex.

Like others, I feel privileged to have been around to enjoy the extraordinary period from Clough's arrival to Wembley Way. How lucky we were.

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
Mike Bamber is a big part of this club's history, it's shameful that the club don't show any recognition of this!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Like others, I feel privileged to have been around to enjoy the extraordinary period from Clough's arrival to Wembley Way. How lucky we were.

Barry, have you got any more film footage from that era that hasn't seen the light of day?

Cheshire

Jul 20, 2003
1066 Country
Echo the sentiment of others for the Mike Bamber years at the club - the glory years indeed and yes what a privilege to have been around to have experienced it. A man who dared believe that anything was possible for Brighton and Hove Albion.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
:bowdown:

Mike Bamber :bowdown:

Clough & Taylor :bowdown:

There has got to be room for these true Legends to be commemorated at the Amex.

Agree with all of that apart from Clough. He did raise the profile of the club, but that's about all.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I said years ago that they should replace the Clock Tower with a statue of Mike Bamber but, now that we have the AMEX, I'll settle for a Bamber Stand or a statue on the concourse. He changed this club in an incredible way. Truly the Glory Days never to be repeated (so far).

Lawro's Lip

Feb 14, 2004
West Kent
I have great respect for Mike Bamber and what he achieved for the club. They were great days to be an Albion supporter promotions from league 3, the dart of the Palace rivalry, in the top tier of English football, beating European Champions Forest away against the odds and with a squad that still stands out as full of exciting players - Lawrenson, Ward, Robinson, Maybank ( :) . Bambers visionary thinking and backing with cash certainly helped put Brighton on the map, first by luring Clough and then appointing Mullery , an unproven manager at the time. Interestingly not every decision he made was popular then nor would be now. Sussex by theSea was ditched for the theme from Rocky as we're the stripes, seen by Bamber as old fashioned and the wrong image for a modern club. I forgive him though. Great memories.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Clough and Taylor appoionted Ken Gutteridge (manager of Burton) as a coach and he brought Peter Ward with him or rather recommended him. Nobody including the scouts had ever heard of him prior to that, so the credit for Wardy must go to KG.

Brighton actually bid for Ward when Ken Gutteridge was manager of Burton.

You can read my piece on the official Albion website:
http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/article/albion-to-albion-the-peter-ward-story-part-one-1937104.aspx

Last edited:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I thought Taylor spotted him as a kid when Taylor was manager at Burton. Read somewhere he signed him three times, Burton, Us and Forest. Clough never wanted him especially at Forest hence why he never played him.

Sorry for ruining a good anecdote. Ward was only with Burton for a single season, 1974/75. Peter Taylor managed Burton in the 1960s.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Mike Bamber, jazz drummer

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Mike Bamber and Keith Wickenden helped bankroll the most exciting and successful era in the club's history. With far more successes from player recruitment than flops. It was great at that time to be one of 33,000 supporters packed in the ground, watching winning football of a club on the rise. When the next Board (inept and ungenerous) took over, and then the land-grabbers after that, that we looked back and realised how truly great the Bamber years had been.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
The famous 'They can because they think they can' picture on the wall

bambermullery.jpg

Tory Boy

Jun 14, 2004
Brighton
Just think if he didn't leave us we wouldn't have had those dark years.

Both Dick and Tony love the club as much as us, but Mike led us to the top league, and I will forever be grateful for what he done for our club.

He should be on the legends boards.

TB

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Barry, have you got any more film footage from that era that hasn't seen the light of day?

Not me, I fear you confuse me with perhaps [MENTION=144]goldstone_Rapper[/MENTION] and his excellent site

Seagulls TV - www.seagulls.tv - the Albion retro site - for videos, profiles, photos, stats

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here