Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ryanair.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
What's special about their check in?

It's nothing unique (just an automated check in system where you scan your passport at a machine and it prints boarding passes and bagging tags, as well as a self scan bag check in) but it just works so smoothly. Even when it's busy I've never waited more than 15/20mins. Used them in 4 different countries and never had an issue. Not the cheapest but i think worth it. I had an hour delay once due to a 'technical' issue and the gave everyone either a free drink or snack once in the air.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's nothing unique (just an automated check in system where you scan your passport at a machine and it prints boarding passes and bagging tags, as well as a self scan bag check in) but it just works so smoothly. Even when it's busy I've never waited more than 15/20mins. Used them in 4 different countries and never had an issue. Not the cheapest but i think worth it. I had an hour delay once due to a 'technical' issue and the gave everyone either a free drink or snack once in the air.

Fair enough. I've only flown Norwegian once and cannot remember the details. EasyJet have a very slick process with check-in and boarding card done via an app. On the rare occasion I have hold luggage it's been simple via a similar process to what you describe.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
My first flight with Ryanair is in next month ! Had no choice as they were the only airline flying back from the country I am in on the day I wanted. Glad to see it appears to be unaffected.

Interesting to see how an airline can get its operations so wrong though. To be fair a lot of the bases missing pilots were on the continent rather than UK. Spain, Italy, Belgium so Norwegian obviously targeted them well.

On the subject of Norwegian they are obviously 'going' for it and have always been impressed when using them, however they are hemorrhaging cash and increasing losses every quarter. They are trying to grow very quickly but probably can't sustain the current model so will be interesting to see how that plays out.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Fair enough. I've only flown Norwegian once and cannot remember the details. EasyJet have a very slick process with check-in and boarding card done via an app. On the rare occasion I have hold luggage it's been simple via a similar process to what you describe.

Much like a referee in a football match, I feel if I don't remember much about the flight that's usually a good thing as nothing was out of sorts (or sending off Stephens against Boro)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A few weeks back an airport employee allegedly slapped an EasyJet passenger. What's the general feeling about this? Are there occasions or situations when a passenger, or any customer, needs a slap?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm really intrigued by this Ryanair reputation for cheapness. For years I worked for a couple of companies whose policies were that any flights made by staff members HAD to be the cheapest. As someone who (or whose staff) made a dozen or so trips every year, I dutifully searched for the cheapest flights, usually to a destination served by Ryanair. On not one single occasion was Ryanair the cheapest.

Maybe Ryanair's not so good at commercial destinations but, in about 12 to 15 searches for a holiday flight, Ryanair's not been the cheapest either.

I hear stories about people buying Ryanair flights for ten bob or something, but in perhaps 50 or 60 searches, I've never seen a cheap flight. Are there just a handful of cheap flights every year or have I been spectacularly unlucky?

In 2007, my husband was best man at a wedding, which was held in Alloway. The best way to get there was to fly to Prestwick, from Stansted. The flights were 99p each way with £11 tax. £26 in total, for the two of us. The car park was more expensive.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
In 2007, my husband was best man at a wedding, which was held in Alloway. The best way to get there was to fly to Prestwick, from Stansted. The flights were 99p each way with £11 tax. £26 in total, for the two of us. The car park was more expensive.

That's what I mean. I hear these stories but every time I want to fly anywhere, Ryanair is about £150, £250, £350

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
That's what I mean. I hear these stories but every time I want to fly anywhere, Ryanair is about £150, £250, £350

I believe that you generally need to get in when flights are initially released to pick up the 99p (or whatever) + tax flights, presumably to non-sunny destinations out of school holidays.

I've just bunged up in some random dates in February for flights to Dublin and they are coming in at £19.99 each way inclusive of tax.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I fly regularly to Carcassonne with Ryanair. There is no other choice unless I fly to Toulouse, which is sixty miles away, and my destination is close to Carcassonne. I rarely pay more than £20. In October half term my wife and I are flying out for £9.99 and returning ten days later for £19.99 - less than £60 return for the pair of us.

And the flights have not been cancelled.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I believe that you generally need to get in when flights are initially released to pick up the 99p (or whatever) + tax flights, presumably to non-sunny destinations out of school holidays.

I've just bunged up in some random dates in February for flights to Dublin and they are coming in at £19.99 each way inclusive of tax.
Obviously not a 6 nations weekend then.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

The price of about two pints of Guinness there then.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I fly regularly to Carcassonne with Ryanair. There is no other choice unless I fly to Toulouse, which is sixty miles away, and my destination is close to Carcassonne. I rarely pay more than £20.

Now, here's a good example. Last year, we were staying not far from Carcassone so I looked at Ryanair - the flights were something like £260/£270 ... before tax.

... which may explain things. We were flying to a sunny place during the holidays. Doesn't explain the lack of cheap flights to places like Berlin, Brussels, Munich etc for business trips.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Now, here's a good example. Last year, we were staying not far from Carcassone so I looked at Ryanair - the flights were something like £260/£270 ... before tax.

Bloody Hell! I've been back and forth about six times this year, but wouldn't do it at those prices. Are you booking for flights that are imminent on absolute peak holiday weekends?

Even during August you can get good deals midweek.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Bloody Hell! I've been back and forth about six times this year, but wouldn't do it at those prices. Are you booking for flights that are imminent on absolute peak holiday weekends?

Even during August you can get good deals midweek.

This was in summer half term last year - it would have cost something like £1500 for the four of us. I got a train in the end, it was about half the price. And, no, it wasn't last minute - it was about three months before we left.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
The Ryanair experience improved for me after they scrapped the unallocated seating and allowed a second small item of hand luggage. Before that it was a bit crazy on busy flights with people pushing and shoving to get seats together and fighting over bag space. Sadly they have stopped flying to my nearest airport in France after the local subsidy being pulled. Shame as it was dead cheap and only a 20 min drive away. I just think of it as a flying bus. It gets you from A to B at low cost but without the back up if things go wrong. You get what you pay for.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
This was in summer half term last year - it would have cost something like £1500 for the four of us. I got a train in the end, it was about half the price. And, no, it wasn't last minute - it was about three months before we left.

Wow. I seem to get the luck that you don't!

Balders

Aug 19, 2013
Ryanair - the masters of relieving you of extra cash through stealth tactics! My favourite one being you can check in online 60 days before your flight IF and only IF you have purchased reserved seating from them. If you don't, online check in is open from 4 days prior to your flight. So....if you are going away for a duration of over 4 days, if you don't cough up for your seats and as an example you are off on a 7nt holiday, you can check in for your outbound flight before you leave, but will need to check in for your inbound flight whilst abroad. You can use their app to have a mobile boarding pass, but if you don't use that, your only option is probably to get Hotel Reception to print your boarding passes. If you fail to print your boarding passes, those lovely Ryanair check in staff will charge you a kings ransom for checking you in at the airport. Have known plenty who have been caught by that little gem!

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
Ryanair - the masters of relieving you of extra cash through stealth tactics! My favourite one being you can check in online 60 days before your flight IF and only IF you have purchased reserved seating from them. If you don't, online check in is open from 4 days prior to your flight. So....if you are going away for a duration of over 4 days, if you don't cough up for your seats and as an example you are off on a 7nt holiday, you can check in for your outbound flight before you leave, but will need to check in for your inbound flight whilst abroad. You can use their app to have a mobile boarding pass, but if you don't use that, your only option is probably to get Hotel Reception to print your boarding passes. If you fail to print your boarding passes, those lovely Ryanair check in staff will charge you a kings ransom for checking you in at the airport. Have known plenty who have been caught by that little gem!

I agree. That is a scam. No need for that short a time before you can check in. They also used to hav high credit card charges unless (surprise surprise) you used there own pre pay card.

I also used to watch the Ryanair staff check every single bag to make sure it weighed no more than 10kg and was not a mm too big. They seem to be a little more relaxed about that now. I'm sure the ground staff were on a commission to catch as many passengers as possible.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
If I'm reading things correctly, they're canceling these flights to stop their punctuality sliding?

I would've thought that writing off the punctuality stats for this year, would be better than the fall out from canceling all these flights at such a busy time of the year?

Sent from my SM-G9350 using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Yes, Scotland in January isn't a popular choice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here