Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

AFC Bournemouth vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I thought this was a forum for everyone? Maybe I'm wrong. You tell us sheebo

I don't think anyone should be too negative after tonight personally. It's usually the same ones who suddenly think we're world beaters after one win who moan loudest after a narrow unlucky defeat...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think we did in many games. Keep it tight first half but then have a go in the second. We hardly trounced many teams away from home last season.
We let muff have the ball for almost the entire first half. We didn't do that against teams last season. We may not have trounced teams away, but we fought for the win - as you'd expect, it was a division lower and we were fighting for promotion. But muff is one of the easier games we'll have.

And I'm not complaining about keeping our shape and defending, but I don't agree that that's how we played last season.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Well the plus points were Gross creating another goal and Solly scoring. Dunk was good Stephens best game of the season. Bodes well as we acclimatise

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
Just seen highlights, great team goal, then two gifted soft goals.
It's games like this that we have to learn from quickly.
If this was against a top team, we would have been buried.
Roll on Newcastle and a win.

Having danced around the room at going 1-0 up like every other fan very upset with the result...Almost identical goals 10 yards inside the area....i think someone said earlier in the thread that we were inviting this risk by not committing to the tackles in midfield..this is where games are won and lost....

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Looked like a standard away performance by us based on last season. Keep it solid at the back, and try to win games by producing moments of quality with counter attacks. The difference is, in the Premier League, it's harder to defend because of better players, and it's harder to go forward, again due to better players. So obviously, we had less chances and conceded more.

Very true. The key bit in there is:

" it's harder to go forward, again due to better players."

For that, to gain ten or more victories, you need PL class strikers with pace. Otherwise in the vast majority of games, opposing defences with their own pace, strength and class will nullify your weak threat.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We let muff have the ball for almost the entire first half. We didn't do that against teams last season. We may not have trounced teams away, but we fought for the win - as you'd expect, it was a division lower and we were fighting for promotion. But muff is one of the easier games we'll have.

And I'm not complaining about keeping our shape and defending, but I don't agree that that's how we played last season.

Totally agree.

Hughton's tactics last season, albeit against inferior players to this, was counter attacking with pace from the first minute. The goals scored tally was huge, the style loved by fans and we sometimes blew the opposition away.

Due to our weak squad compared to clubs that have spent huge sums over several windows, CH has reverted to his cautious approach. The approach that Canaries fans despised, but perhaps he has little option with a squad varying so greatly in quality?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Having danced around the room at going 1-0 up like every other fan very upset with the result...Almost identical goals 10 yards inside the area....i think someone said earlier in the thread that we were inviting this risk by not committing to the tackles in midfield..this is where games are won and lost....

This 100%

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
cryingbabyheads-21.jpg

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Bournemouth will be lower half this year IMO and that was an opportunity to have a go at adding points to our total. Personally I think we defended poorly, other than Lewis who was excellent. Ball watching for two goals instead of staying with runners is kids stuff, and I'm pretty sure Chris won't be happy with that. Putting 11 men behind the ball, or parking the bus, as it's more commonly known these days just doesn't work in the prem as there's just too much quality that will crush those tactics IMO. home form will be crucial to our survival this year. We must attack teams as we did v West brom and accumulate the necessary points for survival at home.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Just rewatched the second goal, and Duffy produced a very poor clearance which initially resulted in a clear cut chance for them, and then then Dunk's outstanding block which led to the corner. Duffy produced several errors tonight - a very poor game by his standards. Dunk, however, was outstanding - and is no longer off the rader!

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Whether we are good enough or not remains to be seen, but this team run their bollox off every game. Proud of every one of them.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Bournemouth will be lower half this year IMO and that was an opportunity to have a go at adding points to our total. Personally I think we defended poorly, other than Lewis who was excellent. Ball watching for two goals instead of staying with runners is kids stuff, and I'm pretty sure Chris won't be happy with that. Putting 11 men behind the ball, or parking the bus, as it's more commonly known these days just doesn't work in the prem as there's just too much quality that will crush those tactics IMO. home form will be crucial to our survival this year. We must attack teams as we did v West brom and accumulate the necessary points for survival at home.

Hughton pretty much said that in his interview with Sky. Unhappy that we lost our shape and runners which resulted in the two goals. He mentioned that we pushed forward too quickly after the corner.

However, up until the goals, we defended fantastically well as a team, but Duffy and Rosenior were individually poor.

There were loads of instances last season where we produced such individual errors or gave the ball away needlessly, but weren't punished for it because of the quality of the opposition. In the Premier League, we will be punished, as we already have been a few times this season.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Bit of a worry we lost to two struggling teams away from home. Can't see us picking up to many points away from home.

Sorry, hang on, we've lost to Leicester and Muff away from home. Leicester admittedly lost their first game, and so did we, but wouldn't say they were struggling considering it was the SECOND game of the season.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
And had they not cleared ball off line etc. We would have been moaning about a draw!

Not sure it works like that. Ever heard of the 'butterfly effect'? In short, had we scored then, the chain of events thereafter would have been completely different, which we will never know.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here