Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton's Moneyball Window

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wasn't looking at his cost, just that his stats were good in a particular area - creating chances. May be I don't have a full working knowledge of MoneyBall then.
Could be argued that we are working on his physical contribution to compete in the Premier

For the Albion to have Moneyballed Pascal Gross they would have needed to pick him up from Inglostadt's reserves, his 5th team in 6 years.
Decided his ability to pick a pass far outweighed his lack of mobility (just using that as a hypothetical example) and that pairing him with a young African lad who can only run really fast and shoot first time, was the way to go.

As it is, with all the relevant info to hand (same as everyone else, feck all) my guess is the clubs transfer policy is two-fold.

1 - See what everybody else is doing, do exactly the same, but in reverse order.
WBA start with a £25m bid for Janssen - BHA end with the same deal, having exhausted every other opportunity.

B - Ask a simple question:-
If player x can do what we think he can, how much profit can we make on the deal?

Last edited:

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
I'm absolutely convinced that Brighton adopts a Moneyball approach to spending our transfer budget, which explains why we haven't splashed out on strikers, so much so I wrote eloquently:) on the subject here http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...nd-Moneyball-a-hypothesis&highlight=moneyball

Thanks for re-posting that, a good read with the end of the season and another window under our belts.

Correct. Tony Bloom has categorically rejected any comparison between his approach and the way Billy Beane ran the Oakland A's as described in Moneyball. He said as much in his session with the national press before the Man City game and also asked for a reference to Moneyball to be removed from the book Brighton Up. As he said then, Moneyball applies to baseball, a largely static sport in which there are a limited and defined number of outcomes in any given situation. Football, on the other hand, is fluid and has an almost infinite number of possibilities. There is no statistic in football comparable to OBP (on-base percentage) in baseball that is undervalued by rich clubs.

There's no realistic comparison beyond a desire to get better value for your money than your competitors do.

Whilst it's fair to say he asked for the comparison to be withdrawn it would be foolish to not think there's some merit in it. By all means the static sport with limited and defined outcomes v fluidity of football is fair but you're not telling me that someone as astute as TB can't double bluff if he wants to?

Almost certainly some of the principles are followed as we definitely look for statistical abnormalities and arbitrage.

It's a fascinating subject which along with things like 'expected goals - or XG' is either going to ruin or enhance the game. With that in mind I found this an interesting read today:

http://statsbomb.com/2016/04/explaining-and-training-shot-quality/

In essence XG looks at how likely a team are to score before a game (season average using their model) and post match how many goals they should have scored based on the chances their players created.

Some interesting points:

If I said to you Frank Lampard scored a typical type of goal in his career what would you say that was? Tap in, long range, beat men and finish, inside or outside the box?

I would have said long range shots but in actuality the majority of his goals came from inside the box and between the posts - i.e central shots at close quarters rather than anything else.

It's a pertinent example because as their model shows if you can get players and more importantly players through coaching methods to buy into the fact that they're more likely to score if they do simple things like only shoot when directly in front of the goal rather than try from distance or oblique angles etc then they are nearly four times as likely to score than not it could make a massive difference. (Clearly that's an over simplified example but spend ten minutes reading the article, it's worth it.)

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
"Brighton are uninterested in the lack of value in the domestic market, and have actively bought from the European market where there is a higher bang for your buck. According to Transfermarkt, Swansea City have spent roughly £45million this window, receiving three first team players permanently and two on loan. Brighton, however, have only spent roughly £42million, but have signed eight first-team players on permanent deals, as well as taking two players on loan."
Eight?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I don't know how Merson keeps his SSN job. I like all the others in the Saturday afternoon team - they all offer something coherent, sober, intelligent and with a wealth of football knowledge.

Long before this summer's anti Albion jibes, I couldn't stand Merson on the box. Thick as shite remarks, know-it-all vendettas against clubs such as Spurs and Liverpool, along with the predictable slagging off of Wenger.

Shirley from the thousands of ex players and managers, there are better options for SSN than Merson.

Whilst I don't disagree that Merson is an absolute bell, it's been the TV blueprint to employ an absolute cock end for reasons only TV executives can answer for years. Garth Crooks, Robbie Savage, Micky Quinn, Phil Thompson and Rodney Marsh have all polluted the air waves or TV screens for years with their 'I drank 10 pints the night before we beat QPR so why do these Nancy boys eat skinless chicken' attitudes with nothing to say other than how it was in thier day with no thought to research a thing they've said simply because 'They've played the game' which trumps everything else.

As an example, I turned off Talksport this morning (a regular occurance granted). Talking about Andy Carroll, Brazil opined that the key to John Walk was letting him rest between games due to his dodgy knee. Perhaps West Ham could do the same? Given we are in the era of Sports science, Ice baths, marginal gains and OPTA stats, it is inconceivable that no one down at the Hammers has considered this but I'm sure Brazil nursing his hangover and munching on his 10th bacon sarnie of the day thought he was making a point only he had thought of. The absolute cockwomble.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
He does. Played well in his first 10 minutes and cost enough that our recruitment team must have expectations. Can he play alongside March if Knocky plays less well away from home? Or would he be better coming on after 65 minutes for now?

Paul Merson should get his arse over to NSC and sign up "Never heard of them they must be shit" opinions is what NSC excels at :lolol:

Not at all, it seems the most reliable guide for NSC is FM. If they're highly rated there then they're great signings and if not they're a complete waste of money. What's more, the people making those comments try to justify them after one or two PL appearances, allowing no room for argument.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
We don't know much, but in the 10 minutes against Watford he used great pace to track back and get a challenge in, so I'd say yes, probably.
That was one of the highlights of his cameo. Superb ttackle.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Gross to me looked a steal and I hope I am proved right as he has quality and going into the peak time of his career.

Even if we sell him for a massive profit worth every penny, £3m was ridiculously cheap

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I am really pleased that the majority of the players that got us up will be given the chance to have a real go in the Premier league, they deserve it. It would seem we have added some quality without upsetting togetherness of the team and we are going to need that more then ever.

I think what we have spent on players is eye watering, and yet the pundits think we have been tightwads. The world has gone mad.

gmabel830

Aug 12, 2017
The theory behind Moneyball is to acquire players undervalued because of a perceived defect.

In the case of Pascal Groß, the perceived defect is that his last name as a "ß" in it.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
The theory behind Moneyball is to acquire players undervalued because of a perceived defect.

In the case of Pascal Groß, the perceived defect is that his last name as a "ß" in it.

:facepalm: = reaction of the people who print names on shirts in the club shop.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Everything you wanted to know about football analytics is right here from 53:42.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...importance-of-analytics-football-weekly-extra

Ted Knutson, the brains behind Brentford, goes in depth about his craft.
He speaks very well about what he does and, from the outside looking in, it sounds exactly like the Albion's transfer business.

Oh and not a single reference to the 'M' word.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Everything you wanted to know about football analytics is right here from 53:42.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...importance-of-analytics-football-weekly-extra

Ted Knutson, the brains behind Brentford, goes in depth about his craft.
He speaks very well about what he does and, from the outside looking in, it sounds exactly like the Albion's transfer business.

Oh and not a single reference to the 'M' word.

Knutson is very good on twitter.

Must admit I haven't listened to the GFW since AC Jimbo left. Is it still good?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
They're 20th in the Championship.
Perhaps they should REEMPLOY him then!

Knutson is very good on twitter.

Must admit I haven't listened to the GFW since AC Jimbo left. Is it still good?

More of the same really, Max likes a divergent strand more than AC, if that's possible, but as everyone else has pretty much stayed the same it's fairly seamless.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Perhaps they should REEMPLOY him then!
With the players he helped recruit though, right? And they're still using the same method aren't they?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
With the players he helped recruit though, right? And they're still using the same method aren't they?

Perhaps you should listen to what he says, first, then comment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here