Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex, third most expensive pint in the UK

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Harvey's is ridiculously expensive.

About 20% more than some comparable bitters to buy.

I heard that it costs more per barrel than other comparable beers, the licensee's are just passing on the cost.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Longman Sussex Best is a cracking pint and it's 20 odd quid cheaper for a nine and more consistent in quality.
At it's 'best' Harvey's gets the nod for me but there are very few places I will drink it.
Namely:
Poet's Corner, Mitre and where I work.

It is always excellent at the Cooper's Cask, as you say! I've had some terrible pints at the Mitre though. Usually Old, etc., presumably because they don't sell enough.

Longman is certainly the best alternative I've found.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
It is always excellent at the Cooper's Cask, as you say! I've had some terrible pints at the Mitre though. Usually Old, etc., presumably because they don't sell enough.

Longman is certainly the best alternative I've found.

The Mitre has an established boozeratti who have little interest in new fangled shenanigans such as seasonal beers. So, yes .... the Old may be a little too old.
Personally I only drink Harvey's Old in Eastbourne at The Lamb or The Victoria.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Was racking my brains trying to remember it but I'll be in there before the game tomorrow and find out.
[MENTION=459]Bwian[/MENTION] may remember

I think it was a cider

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
when buying from Fosters or Doombar, the same as a large chain such as Mitchell and Butler.

I find this very hard to believe. If Whetherspoons haven't got a preferred supplier deal then they're stupid.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I find this very hard to believe. If Whetherspoons haven't got a preferred supplier deal then they're stupid.

maybe they do. you'd expect Mitchell and Butler have deals too. the point was that the arguement Wetherspoons is cheap because of buying power is flawed because a similar rivial (actually M&B have alot more pubs) would have similar buying power. but thier price at the pump are vastly different. noted that free houses or small chains dont have that advantage, though they arent necessarily the most expensive. its a very complex market where the normal expectations of cost/scale dont apply, some pubs are taking advantage.

Smith DID score

formerly Harvey's Best
Apr 25, 2009
Worthing
Worked in a DrinkInBrighton for a while and remember when Harvey's jacked up the prices. DIB opened the North Laine Brewery and started pushing out Laine's Best and making an absolute mint with it. Harvey's less and less common in Brighton

Breweries are taxed dependant on volume of output, Harvey's is big enough to be in a higher band than all the microbreweries in Sussex (@40 of them currently) so North Laine, Hand, Greyhound or Downlands to name a few do have a (slight) advantage in that respect.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Looking forward to a relatively cheap pint this afternoon after heading down from Surrey.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Breweries are taxed dependant on volume of output, Harvey's is big enough to be in a higher band than all the microbreweries in Sussex (@40 of them currently) so North Laine, Hand, Greyhound or Downlands to name a few do have a (slight) advantage in that respect.

Absolutely, it was a savvy move from DIB (not commending them on any of their business dealings). From what I was told this move from Harvey's wasn't dependant on tax brackets but on profit margins and made life difficult for pubs in Brighton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
Just in railway bell by the station paid £5.20 for a pint of peroni , is it always this expensive or only match days?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here