Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nuclear explosion in North Korea? Or earthquake?

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Anyone know if NK is on a fault line or has a history of seismic activity?

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
The tremor depth has been measured by China and USA as "zero metres", which obviously suggests it is on the surface. It's therefore likely either a controlled nuclear test which went to plan, or a test that didn't go to plan and has caused something of nuclear proportions to create a tremor now measured at 6.3, or God help us, someone has attacked their nuclear weapons facility.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Failed-Rocket-Launch_Fotor.jpg

Scotchegg

Sep 1, 2014
Brighton
Almost certainly a nuclear test, they've done it in the past several times before. Of course trump wasn't in power then...

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Scotchegg

Sep 1, 2014
Brighton
:) Only the loony left can blame Trump for this situation. I know he doesn't diffuse the tension but maybe it's getting beyond that. They last did a big test in September when America had a proper president.

North Korea has been "beyond tthat " for a number of years now, where do you draw the line enough is enough? Starving milliins of your own citizens to death, taking an entire company hostage or shelling south Korean civilian territory perhaps? All have happened. The media hypes up these events but people quickly forget. The ugly reality is that this situation is intensely complicated. No one wants anything but the status quo and that includes the south who sing about peace and unification but absolutely do not want to have to deal with that and arguably couldn't. The north Korean citizens, who unfortunately suffer the most Are probably the only ones genuinely keen and even that's not 100% nailed on. There are high numbers of defectors who later wish they could go back.

The kims have been backed into a corner ever since they lost any economic pillars and went all in on a military first doctrine. They NEED to do this shit, its often thought of as saber rattling and it could be true, but the media never stops to ask the question of who these moves and who this propaganda is aimed at, external or internal?

And the reason the "looney left" are concerned (and everyone else should be concerned) about trump is because if this situation is to ever be resolved peacefully without a collosal amount of casualties, then its going to be through diplomacy and will require a huge amount of patience. Trump is a moron and absolutely incapable. American policy concerning north Korea has been criticised for years and years for lacking a proper understanding of the situation and that's when there were far more capable presidents in office.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
And the reason the "looney left" are concerned (and everyone else should be concerned) about trump is because if this situation is to ever be resolved peacefully without a collosal amount of casualties, then its going to be through diplomacy and will require a huge amount of patience. Trump is a moron and absolutely incapable. American policy concerning north Korea has been criticised for years and years for lacking a proper understanding of the situation and that's when there were far more capable presidents in office.

If China weren't such a bunch of ***** and constantly going against every other nation calling NK out this situation might be a lot different.

China is the super power in that region, they need to start acting like a nation that is opposed to tyranny and not supportive of it. Then the US wouldn't need to make noises like they do.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
:) Only the loony left can blame Trump for this situation. I know he doesn't diffuse the tension but maybe it's getting beyond that. They last did a big test in September when America had a proper president.

Have they? I'm, 'left', albeit far from loony (or Looney), and it hadn't occurred to me to blame Trump for Korea. Actually I don't blame Trump for anything - after all, he hasn't actually done anything yet (merely tweeted nonsense). So which loony lefties are blaming Trump? Is it Corbyn or (er, I can't remember the names of any of the other lefties - Wedgwood Bnn's dead, isn't he? Livingstone is persona non grata.... who, of any substance - gobby teenage SWP titwombles don't count). :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If China weren't such a bunch of ***** and constantly going against every other nation calling NK out this situation might be a lot different.

China is the super power in that region, they need to start acting like a nation that is opposed to tyranny and not supportive of it. Then the US wouldn't need to make noises like they do.

This.

Scotchegg

Sep 1, 2014
Brighton

Can't disagree with that. For a country that is supposed to be holding the north on a leash, they do an awfully good job of making it look the other way round.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Trump's been played like a fiddle.

NK is very unlikely to strike, but with their threats to strike they're are doing two things. Flexing their muscles, which shows (or gives the NK people the impression) that Kim Jong Un is a powerful leader and they are testing the resolve of the U.S. Which leads the U.S into a difficult position.

The U.S has two options but neither leaves them in the favourable position.

1) Strike, but potentially face consequences from Russia and China, but they will be seen as the aggressor. An unlikely event, because I don't think Trump could afford a war so early in his premiership. NK effectively gains the moral ground as they had not striked in aggression. It also fulfils their 'cultural' destiny as everything they have essentially done is gearing up for a confrontation with the US.

2) Do nothing, NK effectively wins the right to do what it wants because the world's biggest superpower has not done anything. This reasserts Kim Jong Un's authority and strengthens his power.

Sanctions are not doing anything to stop them, though I would be interested in knowing if there has been an internal power struggle. Dictatorships rely on this aggro to keep the masses in check.

As Tyrone rightly points out - China's done an awful job, the irony of the situation is that this will mean a pivot of US military power towards the pacific. An area the Chinese should in theory, have the most influence in. With the Chinese becoming more nationalistic, I can't see Jinping being in power for much longer when the people demand a more confrontational leader.

larus

Trump's been played like a fiddle.

NK is very unlikely to strike, but with their threats to strike they're are doing two things. Flexing their muscles, which shows (or gives the NK people the impression) that Kim Jong Un is a powerful leader and they are testing the resolve of the U.S. Which leads the U.S into a difficult position.

The U.S has two options but neither leaves them in the favourable position.

1) Strike, but potentially face consequences from Russia and China, but they will be seen as the aggressor. An unlikely event, because I don't think Trump could afford a war so early in his premiership. NK effectively gains the moral ground as they had not striked in aggression. It also fulfils their 'cultural' destiny as everything they have essentially done is gearing up for a confrontation with the US.

2) Do nothing, NK effectively wins the right to do what it wants because the world's biggest superpower has not done anything. This reasserts Kim Jong Un's authority and strengthens his power.

Sanctions are not doing anything to stop them, though I would be interested in knowing if there has been an internal power struggle. Dictatorships rely on this aggro to keep the masses in check.

As Tyrone rightly points out - China's done an awful job, the irony of the situation is that this will mean a pivot of US military power towards the pacific. An area the Chinese should in theory, have the most influence in. With the Chinese becoming more nationalistic, I can't see Jinping being in power for much longer when the people demand a more confrontational leader.

The reason for this is that the Chinese pay lip service to them. The Chinese don't want a unified Korea and would prefer a nuclear powered NK to this I think. The whole situation is very complicated and an act of aggression by the US would results is huge fatalities. China is the real problem here as they should be reigning in NK, but for whatever reason they must have an alternative plan.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here