Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Music That Passed You By - Now Discovered

Never really into folk but a few years ago Johnnie Walker played this track a lot when sitting in on the R2 Brekkie Show.

Liked it and by a bizzare twist of fate a few weeks later noticed that they were playing a gig at a Church around 10' walk from me - only time in my memory that any "bands" have played there. Now a fan, have seen them live a couple of other times and my tastes have been broadened to listen other folk. Despite having absolutedly no Cornish blood in me whatsover this track always gets to me:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV5JESfaZ1c&list=RDaV5JESfaZ1c#t=2

SAC

May 21, 2014
Bowie. Hated his stuff in the 80s, post Ashes to Ashes, and then didn't bother listening to his 70s stuff until I was in my 30s and realised how good he was. Still can't stand much of his music post Ashes to Ashes though.

The Smiths. Hated them at the time but really like some of their stuff now, although still can't stand Morrissey.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I never got into Nirvana when I was younger but love them now.

I think I'd have to plump for Radiohead though. It wasn't that they passed me by more that I felt OK Computer was such a masterpiece that nothing they did after it could ever be better. Having listened to their later work I feel vindicated in that assumption however it's still bloody good music. Just not on OK Computer levels.

murciagull

Nov 27, 2006
Murcia
I finally "got" Bob Dylan a couple of years ago.

Same with me, always liked his popular stuff (Tamborine Man,Blowing in the Wind etc) but there is so much incredible stuff I,ve never heard, but are now catching up with.

Binney on acid

NSC Patreon
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Ditto with the Cat Stevens album - coincidentally I'm playing that now atm as I reminded myself just how good it is. :thumbsup:

'Tea for the tillerman' was a wonderful album. Teaser and the firecat is also well worth having. I lost interest in his albums after that.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
'Tea for the tillerman' was a wonderful album. Teaser and the firecat is also well worth having. I lost interest in his albums after that.

The title track on Foreigner is my favourite Cat Stevens music but many felt like you and didn't rate it. :shrug:

I have warmed to the Smiths recently, having really had a dislike for them at the time, I particularly like Johnny Marr's guitar playing

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Same with me, always liked his popular stuff (Tamborine Man,Blowing in the Wind etc) but there is so much incredible stuff I,ve never heard, but are now catching up with.

If you haven't already heard them can I recommend Highway 61 Revisited (particularly Desolation Row) and Blonde on Blonde.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Being so absorbed into 'Diamond lights', this absolute beaut of a track by 'Glen and Chris' somehow floated past me. Only just found it and boy, what a track! Waddle's guitar solo would've made Hendrix proud.

murciagull

Nov 27, 2006
Murcia
If you haven't already heard them can I recommend Highway 61 Revisited (particularly Desolation Row) and Blonde on Blonde.

Cheers ,Just finished Blonde on Blonde and Blood on the Tracks, Highway 61 revisited is next on my list.

getz

Jan 15, 2010
Free jazz, e.g. Eric Dolphy, and Miles Davis electric period, especially Bitches Brew

Have been tempted to go back to the free jazz era to see if I missed something. Having walked out at the interval of an Ornette Colman concert at the Dome ,I might have to swallow my pride.

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
The title track on Foreigner is my favourite Cat Stevens music but many felt like you and didn't rate it. :shrug:

I have warmed to the Smiths recently, having really had a dislike for them at the time, I particularly like Johnny Marr's guitar playing

Hatful of Hollow is the album to listen too

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Cheers ,Just finished Blonde on Blonde and Blood on the Tracks, Highway 61 revisited is next on my list.

You'll probably be ready for the shock of Nashville Skyline next then :thumbsup:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here