Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Biggest Fluke in Football: Portugal reaching the Euro 2016 semi finals

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Love the way people are calling Portugal poor.

I hope to live to see the day England stick in 5 penalties like that.

Portugal being 'poor' is no reflection of how good or bad England are.

England are (or rather, the performances were) awful. Portgual are mediocre, at best, for the final stages of a major international tournament.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Portugal deserve credit for what they have achieved with a pretty ordinary present day vintage.

I don't see many of their 2016 team getting into their 2004 side which included greats such as Fernando Couto, Figo, Rui Costa, Ricardo Carvalho, Maniche and Deco, yet if Wales can edge Belgium tonight - and with no Vertonghen and Vermaelen they have a chance - then I fancy Portugal will make it into the final.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Portugal being 'poor' is no reflection of how good or bad England are.

England are (or rather, the performances were) awful. Portgual are mediocre, at best, for the final stages of a major international tournament.

They are hard to beat which is what you need in a tournament. I disagree that they have been mediocre, they've played well in a couple of games, just lack the cutting edge.

Ronaldo missed a hatful in the group stages, and beating a very solid Croatian side is nothing to sneer at.

You say 'major international tournament' as if the euros are something to go wild about, they have nearly always been very run of the mill, even moreso now.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
They are hard to beat which is what you need in a tournament. I disagree that they have been mediocre, they've played well in a couple of games, just lack the cutting edge.

Ronaldo missed a hatful in the group stages, and beating a very solid Croatian side is nothing to sneer at.

You say 'major international tournament' as if the euros are something to go wild about, they have nearly always been very run of the mill, even moreso now.
Of course the Euros are a major tournament. It's the only continental competition for nations - held every four years.

The fact that English players evidently find it a drag takes little away from it. It's a major tournament across Europe.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
They haven't been all that good overall. Yes, they put away five good penalties, but they seem to lack any real passion or drive. Ronaldo does seem to actually care, but I'm not sure I'd say the same about the rest of their squad.

Also if they get to the final or win by grinding out results in the knock out stages, it'll make Ronaldo's comments about Iceland look even more daft.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Five incredible penalties last night - that wasn't a fluke.

Glad to see the need for the team to get through was upper most in their minds by putting their best penalty taker up first (Ronaldo) - rather than Ronaldo taking the 5th for his own personal glory - as happened v Spain I think (they lost before he could have his go)

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Oct 25, 2003
in euro 2004 greece played:

Portugal
Spain
Russia
France
Czech Republic
and then Portugal again in the final

not sure you can call that a 'fluke'. It was simply a very unfancied team who completely played to their strengths and managed to outsmart several very strong sides. Portugal have played Iceland, Austria, Hungary, Croatia and Poland which to me seems more like a pretty average team who have been fortunate enough to have had a really easy run to the semi's and have been helped massively by the format of the competition.

Some people have said Denmark who of course were fortunate to be at the tournament to begin with but once they were there they did pretty well. It was an 8 team tournament in 1992 so it was very strong and they came out of a group with Sweden, France and England before defeating Netherlands (the holders) and Germany (the world champions) in the semi's and final. Pretty impressive.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Italy WC 1982, do the research, only came alive when beating Brazil 3-2.

That's right. Draws with Peru, Poland And Cameroon if memory serves me right. They only went through on the most goals scored rule as goal differences were the same.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
In the 1990 World Cup, England reached the semi-finals of the World Cup by winning only 1 match in normal time, an edgy 1-0 win over Egypt. Yet that team and campaign is often looked back upon with misty-eyed sentimentality.

Portugal haven't been fluent so far, but equally they have been a very difficult nut to crack, give or take the defensive errors they made against Hungary. They were very resilient against a Croatian side that had arguably been the best team in the group stage and which came into the match off the back of an outstanding win over Spain. They rode their luck but they were a threat on the counter-attack and eventually took their chance. I would also say that they shaded last night's match against Poland.

They have now made the semi-finals in 4 out of the last 5 European Championships, which for a country of their size is actually pretty good going. They do not have as many good individuals as some of those sides from 10-12 years ago, but you could argue that they function better as a team. And in Renato Sanches they have a player who is going to be a star in the not too distant future.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
In the 1990 World Cup, England reached the semi-finals of the World Cup by winning only 1 match in normal time, an edgy 1-0 win over Egypt. Yet that team and campaign is often looked back upon with misty-eyed sentimentality.

Argentina reached the 1990 World Cup Final, winning 2 games in 90 minutes out of the 7 they played in the tournament as well. They lost 2 in 90 minutes, drew 1 and the other 2 were penalty shoot out wins.
Republic of Ireland, drew all 3 group games and reached the Quarter finals that year without winning a game in 90 minutes too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here