Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hemed's disallowed goal

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
This threads confusing me. He was off courtesy of that video I'd say. There's no way the flag was for Kayal. The ball was definately passed forward by Kayal to Hemed. You cannot be offside if you're behind the ball when played. I'm pretty sure these are all correct...

This stuff about Kayal being flagged is twaddle.

I was right in line with it. My first inclination was that Hemed was just offside, and the linesman flagged it so. From my mind's eye, I'd have said it a correct decision. The video, while not totally conclusive, does seem to back it up.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
An interpretation here.......

You are level with or behind the ball
Yeah, obviously. That's nothing to do with the direction the ball is kicked though, that's all about where the receiver is standing. If the receiver is not level or behind, but they are in front of the ball, they are in an offside position, even if the ball is played marginally backwards.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
There is no direct mention of the word forward, but the way the law is worded indicates that a player would have to be in front of the ball at the moment it was played. This would then mean a player coming back from an offside position could receive a ball played backwards and still be offside, as he was in front of the ball at the time it was played, irrespective of direction of travel.

Clear?
Suspected so. You do have to question why that is deemed to be against the rules though, as how can they be gaining unfair advantage if they're having to physically retreat back up the pitch to collect the pass? If they end up behind, or in line with where the passer/ball was when it was originally played, then what is the difference ultimately to them having been stood in that same spot all along?

I'm fairly sure this was actually allowed in one of the previous interpretations of the offside rule, but it since seems to have changed so I'm guessing there must be a valid reason for it.

NB: Before anyone storms in again wondering why this thread is still going, Hemed was offside - that is quite clear. This is simply more general discussion around the offside rule.

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I have to say this thread has served a very educational purpose & [MENTION=23]Everest[/MENTION] has certainly alerted me to something I probably didn't know / hadn't thought about. It's a lazy interpretation of the rule that many (myself too I expect) use - 'if it's passed backwards it's onside' - but that's not true. Highly unlikely to happen of course, but forums like this are to learn small pockets of information like this - so thanks Evs :thumbsup:

Iamapen15

May 17, 2009
Back of the North Stand
Where exactly have you got that idea from? It's not mentioned in the laws of the game is it?

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/laws/football-11-11/law-11---offside.aspx#

An interpretation here.......not sure it's relevant though, as think the ball was played forward to Tomer anyway (marginally)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/rules_and_equipment/4993924.stm

OFFSIDE ESSENTIALS
Here are a few more things to remember.
You can't be offside if:
You receive the ball directly from a goal kick, a throw-in or a corner
You are in your own half of the pitch
You are level with the second last or last two opponents
You are level with or behind the ball
You are not actively involved in play, as explained above
For any offside offence, the referee awards an indirect free-kick to the opposing team, to be taken from the place where the infringement occurred.

Thank you [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION]

In any case, replays show it wasn't a backwards pass and a good decision by the referees assistant!

Last edited:

Iamapen15

May 17, 2009
Back of the North Stand
Obviously haven't explained myself correctly, but well done for picking me up on it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here