Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

In light of TalkTalk how do folk feel about the government’s surveillance legislation?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I really couldn't care less who knows my phone number, birthday, how often I phone my son or whatever. It's not long ago that we were handing out our bank details to the milkman, the local shop, the builder and every other Tom, Dick and Harriet on our cheques. I genuinely don't understand we people are so precious about data nowadays.

The only data I care about is my bank balance and that my bank prevents anyone else getting at it. If they fail, I am confident they will refund me promptly. So frankly, ain't that bothered.

Publish your phone number on here then?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don't believe publishing phone numbers is encouraged on here!!

I'm not aware of any rules prohibiting one posting their own number on this site. So, I'll read this as a no and that you do actually care :smile:

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I'm not aware of any rules prohibiting one posting their own number on this site. So, I'll read this as a no and that you do actually care :smile:

To be fair, I would probably be happier with a fraudster having my phone number than some of the posters on NSC!!!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
"May calls for internet companies to store details of website visits"

"Theresa May is to propose a major extension of the surveillance state when she publishes legislation requiring internet companies to store details of every website visited by customers over the previous year."

http://www.theguardian.com/politics...-companies-to-store-details-of-website-visits

Does this worry you? This information will be gold dust on the black market.

Mannakin

Jun 24, 2013
Hove (actually!)
I really couldn't care less who knows my phone number, birthday, how often I phone my son or whatever. It's not long ago that we were handing out our bank details to the milkman, the local shop, the builder and every other Tom, Dick and Harriet on our cheques. I genuinely don't understand we people are so precious about data nowadays.

The only data I care about is my bank balance and that my bank prevents anyone else getting at it. If they fail, I am confident they will refund me promptly. So frankly, ain't that bothered.

The point is that the level of information you are talking about can enable someone to set-up an account in your name, and run up debt in your name. You only find out about it when the online betting company for instance starts chasing you for a debt that you had nothing to do with. This happened to me, someone stole my contact details and managed to set-up two accounts in my name (one at William Hill) but with a different address. The companies in question obviously didn't do the correct checks before setting up the accounts but it still caused me grief and I had to get Experian etc to wipe this information from my profile.

I think the details were gained from the Child Support agency who lost information on millions of UK people including bank details. So your information isn't safe with the government or corporations and just because you haven't been impacted others have.

I do know a fair amount about data security as I design systems for banks including security and fraud checking systems and I have taken extra steps to ensure that accounts cannot shouldn't be set-up in my name again unless CIFAS check with me first. Losing the data in the first place though was not something i had any control of.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
"May calls for internet companies to store details of website visits"

"Theresa May is to propose a major extension of the surveillance state when she publishes legislation requiring internet companies to store details of every website visited by customers over the previous year."

http://www.theguardian.com/politics...-companies-to-store-details-of-website-visits

Does this worry you? This information will be gold dust on the black market.

It achieves three things:

1) Annoys anyone who actually gives a shit about civil liberties (like me)

2) Creates HUGE targets for hackers because although most of the data is worthless (there's not a lot people can do with the fact I visit Northstand Chat or Reddit) there's enough data to blackmail a few people doing things they'd rather no one knows about, as well as creating obvious security issues by letting people know what banking, stores, etc... they use

3) Encourages criminals and terrorists (as well as average users with technical knowledge) to further secure their communications, thus making them harder for the security services to track and target if they have legitimate reason.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It achieves three things:

1) Annoys anyone who actually gives a shit about civil liberties (like me)

2) Creates HUGE targets for hackers because although most of the data is worthless (there's not a lot people can do with the fact I visit Northstand Chat or Reddit) there's enough data to blackmail a few people doing things they'd rather no one knows about, as well as creating obvious security issues by letting people know what banking, stores, etc... they use

3) Encourages criminals and terrorists (as well as average users with technical knowledge) to further secure their communications, thus making them harder for the security services to track and target if they have legitimate reason.

I disagree about the data being worthless. For example If you have health insurance and your insurer knows you have been snooping around health related sites you could see you premium rocket or be cancelled. Employers might like to know what you do in your spare time etc.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
I disagree about the data being worthless. For example If you have health insurance and your insurer knows you have been snooping around health related sites you could see you premium rocket or be cancelled. Employers might like to know what you do in your spare time etc.

Very true. Perhaps I should clarify that the sort of data you mention is worthless on the black market (I'm assuming you're purchasing something that comes from a hack), as while those are uses I can easily see companies going for the uses you've suggested, they're unlikely to gain that data from the black market. The risk to reward ratio is awful, in my opinion at least.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Thank the LORD beorhthelm was on hand for a change to defend the indefensible, sorry I mean the conservative-centric multi-million earning CEO who otherwise might have been held up as some sort of incompetent.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Thank the LORD beorhthelm was on hand for a change to defend the indefensible, sorry I mean the conservative-centric multi-million earning CEO who otherwise might have been held up as some sort of incompetent.

I think you're being generous here. beorthelm also stands up for and defends the status quo. If it's broken why fix it?

Don't get me started

One Nation under CCTV
Jul 24, 2007
Theresa May is a authoritarian lunatic. She is determined to have every person in the UK watched and controlled - with ever increasing powers to incarcerate dissidents.

I can't help but fear that this is all a smokescreen, as Western governments are preparing for the inevitable social unrest as this economic system nears its end.

I have to agree with you on this, any self respecting terrorist or indeed anyone up to no good would be mad to use the standard Internet, there is plainly something else behind this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here