Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Berlin Christmas Markets

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
[MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION]

Don't know how well you know Berlin, but what is the likelihood of me finding a bar that might have our game away at Birmingham on next Friday?

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Flea market at Mauerpark is brilliant - also fallen Stasi giants Dynamo were playing in a great eastern bloc stadium next door when we visited. They won 5-2 in front of 10k fans. Hertha and Union would be the places to get the footy fix though...

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005

Don't know how well you know Berlin, but what is the likelihood of me finding a bar that might have our game away at Birmingham on next Friday?

Or this Friday for Leeds!

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
The one next to Brighton library this year, although small is much more like the European xmas markets than the usual tat they throw up around Churchill Square.

Dusseldorf has a nice atmosphere but it is not the prettiest town. Cologne, Nuremberg and Munich would all be more scenic. I don't like Frankfurt. Last year we visited Krakow end of November and the market around the cathedral was pretty impressive. Still drooling now at the memory of the meatfest stall.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
The one next to Brighton library this year, although small is much more like the European xmas markets than the usual tat they throw up around Churchill Square.

Dusseldorf has a nice atmosphere but it is not the prettiest town. Cologne, Nuremberg and Munich would all be more scenic. I don't like Frankfurt. Last year we visited Krakow end of November and the market around the cathedral was pretty impressive. Still drooling now at the memory of the meatfest stall.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Went to Krakow in Oct. Charming city, going back again next year. Lovely food and plenty of things to do.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Or this Friday for Leeds!

I know the city well :smile:

The options are very limited to non-existent. You will only find English football in ex-pat pubs and even then the Premier League takes priority. The Oscar Wilde on Friedrichstrasse in Mitte has shown our play-off games in the past but these are only shown on their big screen when there was no competing games. Occasionally they have also shown midday Championship games on a small tv above the bar with no sound whilst the rest of pub cheers and groans to Chelsea or Man U. It isn't a brilliant environment when the rest of the pub are watching another game.

http://www.oscar-wilde-irish-pub.de/sport.html

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
What about this place?

http://www.kilkenny-pub.de/

When we went over to Berlin for my birthday they had all the Sky Sports options available. Food and atmosphere were good, so may be worth a go?

* Just seen on their schedule that they are showing the Leeds game - so may well have the Birmingham game too....

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
The chances of anywhere in Berlin showing the Brighton Friday games are near to no chance. On a Friday, the aforementioned Oscar Wilde will be showing early doors Bundesliga 2 games on the big screen out the back, then the later Bundesliga 1 game which kicks off 20.15. Aside from that, the place is a shithole (imo). Overpriced dodgy beer for stag party tourists and 'British Immigrants'. Having said that, a few locals (including my best mate) drink there. Obviously just for the football as the place soon empties when the games finish. There's better choices of bar for live football in Berlin.

I haven't trawled the whole thread. However, re weihnachtsmarkt in Berlin: The Gendarmenmarkt by Stadtmitte is very traditional and atmospheric. One of the most popular without doubt. Little bit more pricey for food and drink compared to some others. The problem with Gendarmenmarkt: Due to its popularity, at peak times it gets very crowded beyond manageable. They have a one euro entry charge which goes to charitable causes. The idea of the entry charge is supposedly to deter casual drinkers and drop ins. However, the charge is too low to achieve its purpose. Despite the heaving crowds, waiting to get served isn't usually too much of an issue. Christmas Markt staff are way more efficient than the gormless chimps at the Amex.

Potsdamer Platz tends to attract the younger party crowd. Its set up outside the Bahnhof and into the side streets. Not as trad as Gendarmenmarkt, but serves its purpose. It has the large mobile sled run which is always popular.The Kaiser Wilhelm memorial church Christmas Market by the Europa Centre near Kurfürstendamm is okay too. AlexanderPlatz has a large market with others around the periphery. I've never been to the one at Charlottenberg Schloss, but I'm told its very good, although the castle is covered in scaffold at the moment which wouldn't be good for the christmassy atmosphere, I would suspect. I haven't been to Spandau either, however, I'm told its very good. In summary, there is plenty of markt choice in Berlin. You will never be too far away from one.

As for the Guv'nors question: No local goes to a Christmas Market with the serious intention of shopping. The wooden 'schnick schnack' and other assorted tat is strictly for the tourist. Its all about having a social event of eating and drinking (plenty) with friends.

A cab will be around 40-50 euros max and take around 30-40 mins max. The rail from Shonefeld is a 10 minute walk away and around 30 mins on the express train. You'll also need an u-bahn for one or two stops when you get to Friedrichstrasse. But it's only €3.60. If you're only here for a couple of days I'd suggest cab when you arrive and once you've got you're bearings and a feel for things a train home.

Not sure I would blow 50 odd euro on a cab when the train really is a doddle for anyone with normal common sense? The hotel is by Stadtmitte? An RE7 or 14 train Schonefeld to Friedrichstrasse, transferring on a U6 southbound to Stadtmitte (direction Mariendorf) will do the job. A pocket map or google will get [MENTION=82]pasty[/MENTION] to his hotel from the U Bahn without too much stress. (I should charge for all this advice ya know)

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Went to Berlin just before Crimbo last year with the dorris and absolutely loved it.

Christmas markets just about everywhere you look, but liked the ones around Alexanderplatz.

Make sure you get your ticket stamped on the U-Bahn or you will have an awkward row with one of the Arab/Turkish ticket checker blokes.

Not sure I would blow 50 odd euro on a cab when the train really is a doddle for anyone with normal common sense? The hotel is by Stadtmitte? An RE7 or 14 train Schonefeld to Friedrichstrasse, transferring on a U6 southbound to Stadtmitte (direction Mariendorf) will do the job. A pocket map or google will get [MENTION=82]pasty[/MENTION] to his hotel from the U Bahn without too much stress. (I should charge for all this advice ya know)

There is also the very handy "Berlin Subway Map" app for working out the routes. If you are able to use mobile data outside the UK without being charged too, it's also worth pairing that up with the "DB Navigator" app for working out when the latest trains are while out and about in Berlin.

Last edited:

pasty

Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
What about this place?

http://www.kilkenny-pub.de/

When we went over to Berlin for my birthday they had all the Sky Sports options available. Food and atmosphere were good, so may be worth a go?

* Just seen on their schedule that they are showing the Leeds game - so may well have the Birmingham game too....

Looks hopeful for next Friday then :thumbsup:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Looks hopeful for next Friday then :thumbsup:

A word of warning. This bar often (lazily) pastes the entire Sky schedule on their website but when you turn up you'll find it's just the Prem games they're showing. If they have a pub full of Chelsea/Arsenal/Man U fans they will not show anything else. Best to check before hand.

I've never had any joy in this place before but will be very interested to hear how you get on.

pasty

Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
A word of warning. This bar often (lazily) pastes the entire Sky schedule on their website but when you turn up you'll find it's just the Prem games they're showing. If they have a pub full of Chelsea/Arsenal/Man U fans they will not show anything else. Best to check before hand.

I've never had any joy in this place before but will be very interested to hear how you get on.

Thanks for heads up. To be honest, if I can't find it I'm not going to lose any sleep over it (and Mrs P certainly won't!) I'm sure there are far more fun things to do in Berlin on a Friday night than sit in an Irish pub watching footy :lolol:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
I know the city well :smile:

The options are very limited to non-existent. You will only find English football in ex-pat pubs and even then the Premier League takes priority. The Oscar Wilde on Friedrichstrasse in Mitte has shown our play-off games in the past but these are only shown on their big screen when there was no competing games. Occasionally they have also shown midday Championship games on a small tv above the bar with no sound whilst the rest of pub cheers and groans to Chelsea or Man U. It isn't a brilliant environment when the rest of the pub are watching another game.

http://www.oscar-wilde-irish-pub.de/sport.html

Decent G&T bar next door....

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
Yep, the missus and I did Berlin last weekend. We're suckers for this sort of thing and a pre-Christmas European weekend away has become something of a tradition now. Berlin was brilliant, if a little nippy. We sampled the gluhwein and wurst at Charlottenburg (ruined church bit scaffold-free, but not the glass tower thingy next to it), Potsdamer Platz (the best souvenir gluhwein "mug") and Gendarmenmarkt (superb location, stage with live ballet/art). Plenty of tat bought, some I don't even remember buying. Loved it.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Yep, the missus and I did Berlin last weekend. Potsdamer Platz (the best souvenir gluhwein "mug") and Gendarmenmarkt (superb location, stage with live ballet/art). Plenty of tat bought, some I don't even remember buying. Loved it.

You mean one of these? :D

IMG-20161204-WA0000.jpg

Excellent aren't they? I now have a couple sitting proudly in my kitchen. :thumbsup: One of the markets (forget which one?) were using mugs from 2012. Tightwads!

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
They're the ones. Well worth the €3 deposit. The ones from Gendarmenmarkt were quite nice mugs so kept those as well. Also, a couple of very nice Berliner Kindl glasses might have found their way into my suitcase.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The Japanese Christmas Market in Berlin is fab. The trad ones are good but can get a bit boring after shuffling around behind crowds and sipping on endless Gluhwein. Lovely sight though. The one by the University was my favourite.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This one is a bit different

http://www.holyheimat.com

There’s certainly no shortage of Christmas markets in Germany’s capital. For the famous classic ones, head to Gendarmenmarkt, Alexanderplatz or Charlottenburg Palace. But why not try something a little different this winter too?

“Holy Heimat!” (Holy Homeland!) is located at Haubentaucher in the RAW area of Berlin in Friedrichshain, a complex of old warehouses more renowned for its alternative clubbing than Christmas merriness.

But this bar-cum-club-cum-pool transforms itself into a winter wonderland, featuring a whole range of stalls, a kid’s programme, a pop-up fondue restaurant and an indoor ice-rink.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here