Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When should we panic? - Transfers Activity

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
I think this LB situation is a bit disrespectful to Bong.This player should compete and not replace him.I am sure Bong would accept that .

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
It is for an established premier league team which we are not. Even then I don't think that's usual. How many teams have spent that much on a full back? If you think we are going to spend 14m on a left back you are living in fantasy land.

Oh, I didn't say we would. My point was more that players like that are worth the money. That's the level we want to be aiming at, realistically.

I'd be surprised if nearly half the teams in the Premier League didn't have at least one full back bought for over £10m.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
:thumbsup:

And how much did the PL quality left backs bought by Bournemouth, Swansea, Stoke, WBA and Watford cost?

PL budgets are blown on securing full back positions.

Full backs are incredibly important in today's game. And £14m isn't a Premier League budget nowadays - not even close.

Still, that doesn't mean there aren't bargains out there. For example, Glen Johnson was a £17m full back, but left on a free to Stoke after being deemed to be no longer good enough. WBA bought Chris Brunt (their usual LB) years ago, when fees simply weren't what they are now, and Dawson is a converted centre back who would probably cost £15m+ in today's market. Adam Smith and Charlie Daniels both came up through the division with Bournemouth, so they're not a fair comparison, but they did spend £6m on Brad Smith who barely got a sniff of first team football after being bought from Liverpool. Neil Taylor is an academy graduate for Swansea, so unless we're going to give Hunt a go, for example, then he's an irrelevant comparison.

Long and the short of it is you've not picked great examples... of the recent full backs to move to Prem clubs, Clyne cost over £10m, Shaw cost more than our squad combined, Van Aanholt was £14m and Bertrand was £10m+ as has been said Trippier and the new Arsenal lad were frees, Alonso cost over £20m. The only real bargains from recent times (excluding Bosman frees) look like Nyom at Watford, potentially Janmatt at Watford and Soares of Southampton...

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Is it just me that thinks even if we don't sign another player we have a squad capable of being competitive this season. I would love the striker but think the rest can cope. Will lose more than they win but have enough points to stay up. Let's remember they are actually a good side and have been for a few years.

Calm down. We are in a good place.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I will only start panicking when Tony sacks Hughton because we look like we are going down.. That would be disaster

I expect a few (2 or 3) quality signings that will be with us for the next 3 years regardless of what division we are playing in.

if we spunk all the money on a bunch of Premier league mercenaries I will be seriously pissed off.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
I will only start panicking when Tony sacks Hughton because we look like we are going down.. That would be disaster

Fully expect to go down to be honest I expect a few quality signings that will be with us for the next 3 years regardless of what division we are playing in.

if we spunk all the money on a bunch of Premier league mercenaries I will be seriously pissed off.

Great post

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Our squad is decent but mentally fragile we couldn't see it out last season which is a worry for me, we could be broken by xmas........

Bollox!
We proved our mental strength time and again last season.

we couldn't see it out because we'd put all of our focus into winning 5 on the bounce to get promoted..
After the party finished, we didn't have enough left to reset our sights and go again.

Newcastle's target was always to win the league..
They kept going and still had to rely on us slipping up.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Bollox!
We proved our mental strength time and again last season.

we couldn't see it out because we'd put all of our focus into winning 5 on the bounce to get promoted..
After the party finished, we didn't have enough left to reset our sights and go again.

Newcastle's target was always to win the league..
They kept going and still had to rely on us slipping up.

Exactly. To be honest if we stay up with three games to go this season and then lose the last three games, who is going to complain?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Is it just me that thinks even if we don't sign another player we have a squad capable of being competitive this season. I would love the striker but think the rest can cope. Will lose more than they win but have enough points to stay up. Let's remember they are actually a good side and have been for a few years.

Looking forward to seeing if Bruno, Dunk, Duffy, Bong,Rosenior, Murray, Baldock, are good enough or not at Prem level tbh
I have no idea. at the moment.

I would like them to be given the chance to prove themselves though. They got us here after all.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach

It's all about opinions. Here's mine - we so don't.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
We are at least 5 players short. I will start multiple irrational rants on here if nobody else signed by the time of our first friendly later this week.

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Players certainly did. Not winning that title was something of a disgrace. Tho the club wheeling out that wretched opera woman probably didn't help either.

Don't think we've ever won a game when that tone deaf old wrongun has rocked up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Players certainly did. Not winning that title was something of a disgrace. Tho the club wheeling out that wretched opera woman probably didn't help either.

How was not winning the title a disgrace? We went up last season and you call the end of season a disgrace. We could just as easily have had that run of defeats earlier in the season as the Championship is so random. We won promotion. That's what matters

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
That will make a change
And no doubt you'll bore everybody on here with your usual unjustified defence of our tardy market dealings...

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here