Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Leaving early

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Don't leave early but have no issues whatsoever with those wishing to do so. Many around us do head for the transport prior to the final whistle, I lose sight of the pitch for all of 2 seconds as they saunter past. :shrug:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This is spot on. I won't read any more posts on this thread because the usual clowns will be asking for people like me to have my ST confiscated. On the rare occasion I have stayed till the end, even if I hang around for a beer, it is 40 minutes to an hour to get out of the car park (and then another 80 minutes' drive). All who sit near me know my routine and its reasons. Anyone who objects (and I have not met anyone - primarily keyboard warriors it seems) can **** right off.

The rigid-thinking control freaks determine that you should get back to Faversham an hour later x 19 occasions each season.

Laughable, if it wasn't sad for them.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I left just after 90 mins, when I always do if the result isn’t in doubt, trotted to the Mill Road P&R, and got home just after MOTD started. If I stay the extra minute or two then a) It takes ages to get out my aisle and out the ground and b) The queue for Mill Road P&R is much bigger and because you have to wait for buses to return could add 45 mins to the wait.

If I lived locally then those extra minutes wouldn’t be a problem but saving 45 or so for the sake of missing one or two minutes of us playing keep ball is a price I’m prepared to pay with a four and a half hour journey ahead of me.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Using the Coventry game as an example, it really does make a huge difference leaving slightly early and running.

I left on 90 minutes and ran from the NS to the Mill Road park n ride buses.

My son left on final whistle, doing an identical trip, and got home 50 minutes later. Standing in huge park n ride queues waiting for the return of the buses.

Missing added time, to get home almost an hour earlier, is worth it IMO.

I don’t hold this against the club. Shifting 30,000 people from a small outskirts site, so quickly, is very well done.

Out of interest, what did you do with this time you saved?

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
:thumbsup:

How can they be "real" fans of the team when they miss several minutes pre and post half time? Shirley they should be there to support the team ALL the way, using the argument of others criticising early leavers. Putting downing pints before supporting the team on the pitch ... disgraceful.

punk: you’ve nailed it, sarcasm and all. I’m glad you’re on board with my faux outrage.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I must admit when I got home from work and put the stream on I did notice in the last 10 minutes great chunks of seating appearing along the line of where the camera was showing. Didn't look great. 4-1 up and they have already left.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Thanks all. I'm interested in the business case for improving the numbers to remain to the end and the uncounted case for those who either skip a match altogether or dont buy because of the risk on their commitments. Of all the areas, the flow of park and ride has the most potential with adjustments within the vicinity of the stadium only and not the public road. Question is how much time could that shave of waiting vs cost vs numbers that could remain seated.

Im going to look into it. If it enables just a thousand bums to be able to stay to the end it would be worth it.

As someone who uses the Mill Rd P&R I personally don’t think the delays have any effect that couldn’t be overcome quite simply by one or two additional buses. After the waiting batch has loaded there is then a delay of about ten or fifteen minutes before a bus returns - from then on the buses return on a regular basis, almost as quickly as they can be loaded until all eight, (I think it’s 8), have done a second trip and then again there is a gap.

On a personal note I’d much prefer to stay behind at the stadium until most of the queue has gone but, like a good proportion of those using the P&R, as I’m driving, I can only have a coffee, tea or other soft drink - no worse than other stadiums in terms of quality but still fairly dire and making a coffee last more than 50 minutes, (my average wait in the bus queue), is not easy!

If clubs, and I’m not just talking about the Amex could make the concourse more welcoming, even if it were just something as simple as pull down benches fixed to the wall that could be released after full time, then I for one would stay longer in the concourse after the match. I’d much rather sit in the dry than stand for the best part of an hour, often in the wet, outside.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Out of interest, what did you do with this time you saved?

50 minutes, my son arrived home that much later.

The underlying reason I guess is that I caught one of the first batches of buses, whereas he had to wait for their return.

He never moans and adores the Albion, but even he thought standing in the Amex park n ride car park for so long a bore. He's too young to join the masses boozing post match.

Green Gull

Feb 25, 2018
Why do so many people not realise that some (other) people place a value on their time? It is not getting back earlier that is the main driver - it is avoiding an extra 45 minutes in travel time.
If there were two queues for buses and one took 45 minutes to clear and the other was instant, how much would you pay to avoid the queue?

Nonsense. It's mostly got nothing to do with people valuing their time. 90% of the early leavers do it for no other reason than to pat themselves on the back for being sat in front of the TV half an hour earlier. I don't begrudge the people that leave early for legitimate reasons, I've done it myself on occasion.
The fact is, most of the piss off early crew are repeat offenders, they've got nowhere to be and no other reason to leave other than some weird obsession with sprinting to the train station on 84 minutes like their life depends on it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
As someone who uses the Mill Rd P&R I personally don’t think the delays have any effect that couldn’t be overcome quite simply by one or two additional buses. After the waiting batch has loaded there is then a delay of about ten or fifteen minutes before a bus returns - from then on the buses return on a regular basis, almost as quickly as they can be loaded until all eight, (I think it’s 8), have done a second trip and then again there is a gap.

On a personal note I’d much prefer to stay behind at the stadium until most of the queue has gone but, like a good proportion of those using the P&R, as I’m driving, I can only have a coffee, tea or other soft drink - no worse than other stadiums in terms of quality but still fairly dire and making a coffee last more than 50 minutes, (my average wait in the bus queue), is not easy!

If clubs, and I’m not just talking about the Amex could make the concourse more welcoming, even if it were just something as simple as pull down benches fixed to the wall that could be released after full time, then I for one would stay longer in the concourse after the match. I’d much rather sit in the dry than stand for the best part of an hour, often in the wet, outside.

Great post.
I'm north of 50 and it's nice to take a seat (especially after standing most of the match in the NS).

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I left just after 90 mins, when I always do if the result isn’t in doubt, trotted to the Mill Road P&R, and got home just after MOTD started. If I stay the extra minute or two then a) It takes ages to get out my aisle and out the ground and b) The queue for Mill Road P&R is much bigger and because you have to wait for buses to return could add 45 mins to the wait.

If I lived locally then those extra minutes wouldn’t be a problem but saving 45 or so for the sake of missing one or two minutes of us playing keep ball is a price I’m prepared to pay with a four and a half hour journey ahead of me.

:thumbsup:

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I missed the start of the second half as service @ catering was so slow. There was no way I was leaving without applauding a superb performance after the final whistle.

Tiger Barb

Jan 31, 2009
Finland (where else?)
Haven’t read the whole of this thread, but the Bridge car park is a complete mess to get out of. I have seen cars getting bumped and a lot of angry people. I don’t blame people for leaving a couple of minutes early to avoid this, it actually detracts from an otherwise great match day experience....

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
I think it would help a lot if the bus organisers/volunteers ( who are all legends IMHO) let the park and ride queue filter onto all the buses, not just one at a time. A lot of people leaving early for the P&R do so to avoid standing in a queue for 45 mins, and with temp yesterday, I don't blame them. Even at the Goldstone I remember some leaving to beat the rush, but at the Amex, it is exasperated by the crush at the station and the queue for the buses. Not much you can do about the station queue/train times, but it is my preferred choice because I can be at home (Nr Eastbourne) over an hour quicker than P&R. Queuing for those buses is hell in the rain/cold etc.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
If u don't leave a few mins early to get a beer at half time, you end up missing a few mins of the second half due to queues

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
I know, I know it has been on this board so many times already. I also know the usual sentiment towards those who leave early.

Having waited for almost an hour to get on a park and ride at the last game I took my son to, then having got to my car doing the hour and a bit drive home, we got up and left a couple minutes early today. I didnt want to miss seeing Locadia score, but of course he did.

So what's the point of this post? When we got outside it struck me how many people were running... hundreds of people were running...either to the car park, the trains or the busses. I mean really running...in droves.

These people arn't running to make sure they miss last minute goals. They're running because getting out of the Amex is painful and no-one likes sitting in their car or waiting for a bus for an hour. Something must be able to improve the flow through. Dedicated bus lanes in and out of the stadium with more busses? Something.

As for the geniuses that text into BBC Sussex to grumble about people leaving early...most folks dont want to.

I think it has ever been so. I remember people would leave the Goldstone early in droves. Its a personal choice that has never bothered me either way. Was hard to notice with anywhere between 4-16k in the ground. Easier now..

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Early leavers=vermin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is because we now live in an instant world, were everything is expected to be immediate.

There are 30,000 people in that ground who all leave around the same time (Some go early, others hang around waiting for the queues to disappear, which they do quite quickly considering)

Trouble with society is that everyone seems in too much of a rush to get home or wherever to do very little (sit on a sofa in front of the TV, internet, social media, or alike) and in truth, getting home 30 mins or 1 hour later wouldn't necessarily make a lot of difference to a lot of peoples lives but this need that exists to get somewhere as quickly as possible means you often end up with people expecting the impossible (ie that people won't have to wait when 30,000 leave at once, etc) and in general it is why you get a lot more aggressive drivers, speeding, etc... and the person doing it usually gains very little from their actions as all they do is hit the back of the next set of slow traffic but it happens because they prefer the sense of being on the move and getting somewhere, even if ultimately they could have taken their time and been at their destination at a very similar time

Unrealistic demands for over a situation just because they don't want to feel like they are being held up (despite the large numbers leaving together) and an unwillingness to see the situation for what it is.... (always someone else's fault and they should be doing more, however unfeasable)

A sad reflection on society

#FirstWorldProblems

The Amex is probably the easiest ground to get away from if you plan it right. I don't mean leave early either. Why pay good money to see only 90% of the match?

When you go to football on a Saturday afternoon, do you realise the game lasts 90 minutes, with 15 for half time?
I’m not having a pop at anyone, but , when I go to a game, it’s probably the only thing I’m going to do that day,if it takes about 6 hours ish to get to the game,watch it and then get home, that’s what I schedule in, in my head. If I leave, say, 5 minutes before the end, how many minutes of my life would I actually save, and what would I do with those few saved minutes?
And, are those saved minutes worth missing something like Locardias debut PL goal?
Everyone to their own, but The Voice or Ant and Dec aren’t that important to me.

As I say every home game 'Would these people leave the cinema/gig ten minutes before the end' ? Especially when they block my view to see what's happening on the pitch on their way out !!

i wish the earlies would leave even earlier. that way when we come out just after the final whistle they'd all have clearer the platforms and we could just meander onto the first available train.
why are they so selfish?

Like rats off to the sewers

I honestly don’t get it. Leave an event, which you’ve been planning to go to for weeks, 10 mins before the end, so you can get home ‘earlier’. I do **** all when I get home from a game, so whether I get home at 5.45, 6 or 6.15 makes literally zero difference to my life, so I’d rather make sure I watch the whole game, clap the lads off and then have a leisurely trip home chatting to junior about what we saw, listening to CH and others on the radio on the way home etc.

We’ve obviously got loads of fans that need to say they went to the game, but would rather be home 15 or 30 mins earlier than watch our record signing bag his first goal. Their choice...........most other clubs seem to be the same.

Here we go. This is where a number of posters try to imply 10,000 all have urgent matters to attend or live in the bloody west country or somewhere.

If you have valid reasons for leaving early (only you know) then why you feel the need to post here is ****ing bewildering. If I had legitimate reasons my conscience would be clear without the need to justify it to anyone.

We play 19/23 league games a season at home, it's not exactly a major commitment to write off the entire day as an occasion. If it is, then I would suggest picking and choosing games would be a better option than a Season Ticket. All besides the point, because most of us know the majority of them live locally and just want to save 30mins for the sake of saving 30mins.

I was watching the end of the game on a stream on the way back from playing football today. Was really disappointing to see how empty the east stand (and im sure the other stands but obviously the East is where the cameras face) was by 85 mins. One of the biggest and most important wins for many a year and thousands wanted to rush home to sit in front of the telly rather than soak up the victory and clap and cheer the lads off. I know it won't change, I know it's been talked about to death on here, i know there are many people who have genuine reasons to leave early. Obviously not that many though as the day we got promoted v Wigan funnily no one had to rush off early. It doesn't usually wind me up much but today it did as the lads fully deserved to be cheered off by a near enough full house. It really is a sad reflection of the society we live in today unfortunately.

It's one thing to leave early, it's quite another thing to be so completely lacking in personal dignity that you actually sprint full-pelt away from the stadium. These people would be far happier doing something else with their Saturday afternoons shirley?

Well we could also talk about all the people who leave to go for a drink at half time on 38-39, and then don’t get back until 50+. At least there’s logic to leaving on 88/89, but there’s really not for missing 10 minutes plus just because you need a beer.

Every early leavers thread:

Initial outrage and indignation that people leave early
Others talk about how they never leave early
Then early leavers come on to justify their actions as they have a 700 mike walk home

I must admit when I got home from work and put the stream on I did notice in the last 10 minutes great chunks of seating appearing along the line of where the camera was showing. Didn't look great. 4-1 up and they have already left.

Nonsense. It's mostly got nothing to do with people valuing their time. 90% of the early leavers do it for no other reason than to pat themselves on the back for being sat in front of the TV half an hour earlier. I don't begrudge the people that leave early for legitimate reasons, I've done it myself on occasion.
The fact is, most of the piss off early crew are repeat offenders, they've got nowhere to be and no other reason to leave other than some weird obsession with sprinting to the train station on 84 minutes like their life depends on it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

This is spot on. I won't read any more posts on this thread because the usual clowns will be asking for people like me to have my ST confiscated. On the rare occasion I have stayed till the end, even if I hang around for a beer, it is 40 minutes to an hour to get out of the car park (and then another 80 minutes' drive). All who sit near me know my routine and its reasons. Anyone who objects (and I have not met anyone - primarily keyboard warriors it seems) can **** right off.

Superfans. :tosser:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales

Left on the final whistle, being in the East stand yesterday was pretty soul destroying atmosphere wise, but is brilliant for getting in the p+r queue. Managed to get on the last racecourse bus and back to Crickhowell for the ten o’clock news (following a Tuckers burger in Kemp Town).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here