Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ok,if you say so, sorry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No need to apologise. You’re a person of few words, so at least use some of your own.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Yep.And with masses of companies already making moves out of the UK we can expect a steep downturn in oooh, about six months say? What is gonna be left? Vacuum cleaners and a chain of cheap pubs by the look of it!

I believe Dyson outsourced his manufacturing to Poland and Malaysia some time ago, R&D still UK based but then the government can't tax ideas, in fact he probably gets tax incentives for keeping it in the UK. I reckon our future industries are Nail Bars, Coffee shops, Charity shops, Barbers and Open all Hours types of mini marts selling Oxford Landing, Jacob's Creek and Dorito's and Pringles. Sunny Uplands here we come !

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
Good try but the argument to stay has never been about the economy. It is about freedom and maintaining morals.

it's both. and a little sunshine and world cup growth (remember folks it's always about growth relative to where we were....not where we should be) is just stupid. "Larus" should look at the longer term (historic) growth facts not one quarter

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So you won't be free when we leave then?
I show my passport etc when travelling in Europe still and feel as free as a bird thanks :)

I imagine you do feel free once you’ve left a shit hole like Swindon.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
That's very noble of you pasta. The thing is though, others on this thread have commented on the fact you come across as sneering, a bit of a ****er and generally unpleasant. Now I'm not going to argue with them, but to me you come across more as being like The NSC Brexit thread version of Boris Johnson - Public school, Tory, Brexit backing, arrogant, buffoonish, full of blue sky, grandiose ideas that are little more than bluster and hot air with zero substance. (Though obviously your sexual encounters are far more online than his) So with all things considered I think there's a better than average chance that what someone like you considers to be in the interests of the nation and what is actually in the interests of the nation being mutually exclusive.

I fully appreciate though that the thought of Brexit and the future is now terribly exciting for you. You feel empowered, part of something and no longer marginalised. For me though it's a resigned air of despair and depression in equal measure. The way I see it is this:

Never-ending austerity with goodness knows what further austerity measures to be introduced as the economic reality of this idiocy really kicks in and another squeeze on living standards.

The break up of the union. (The United Kingdom, not The European Union) To me it's now a question of when, not if on both Scottish independence and Irish unification and all the political, social, economic upheaval it'll bring.

Apropos to both austerity and Scotland, we face the upcoming nonsense of Trident renewal and somehow finding the money out of the defence budget and basing it in a territory that doesn't want it and wishes to breakaway from London. Goodness knows what a new Naval base in Cumbria would cost on top of that, but frankly the whole thing should be scrapped as we're just the emperor with no clothes and such delusions of grandeur as a country really should be dropped.

Goodness knows what to come politically and socially as this idiocy plays out - it's quite frightening frankly. The thought of Rees-Mogg as PM terrifies me every bit as the thought of the showers at Eton College in his school days after a Wall Game terrify him.

Lastly, there's elephant in the room - at some point in the next 10 years on top of all the above, The Queen will pass away. Put to one side the ensuing grief, both faux and genuine, that will follow that will make those nauseatingly, embarrassing days of September 1997 look dignified in comparison, but there'll be an awful lot of genuine soul searching and hand wringing as to who we all actually are now. I'm not talking about The United Kingdom of England and Wales becoming a republic like Australia, New Zealand, Jamaica etc will but the introspection will be profound.

With all things considered and being perfectly honest, blue passports aren't much of consolation I'm afraid.

A non European Union passport will be a welcome bonus when we leave, I wonder too if the same nauseating drama queens from 1997 will be crying over a piece of paper when it happens, those bedwetting already over the loss of a burgundy one appear to be the same crowd.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I'm not sure why you say it was odd that I 'omitted' Cash's privatisation reference - as I pointed out it didn't appear in the report I drew on. (It was in the BBC news feed last night - it's still there.) In fairness to the BBC its report covered a great deal of ground and included brief summaries from a number of conference speakers as well as Cash. Given that the woolly wording (I suspect designed to mislead) of this latest Cash reference to privatisation I can understand the BBC's subs not including it.

Ah the BBC, alarm bells would have been ringing quoting The RMT solely along those lines knowing how ante the EU they have been, thank goodness the full quote appeared elsewhere to check so as not to fall into the trap from misleading poor information.
Trojan horse and civil unrest because of a defacto second referendum was an interesting addition though. Cant say people havnt been warned about the consequences of being undemocratic loons.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Economies can be sustained on positive projection alone.

On the flip side then, there must a case for economic harm that could be caused by invented negative projection?

Not sure why you bought other members into your post. Your point could have easily been made without the dig at others. Something to think about perhaps.

Self awareness is not something you excel at, is it.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
A non European Union passport will be a welcome bonus when we leave, I wonder too if the same nauseating drama queens from 1997 will be crying over a piece of paper when it happens, those bedwetting already over the loss of a burgundy one appear to be the same crowd.

It's time you and I talked about gay marriage pasta because you're just the man I want because I think you're experienced enough to give me some insight into it.

There does seem to be a direct and undeniable correlation between the predominately, male, wealthy, privately educated, Brexit backing, Conservative & Unionist (just like yourself) members of The European Research Group and Leave Means Leave, such as Jacob Rees-Mogg and Conservative and Unionist members of parliament who voted against the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Act 2013, such as Jacob Rees-Mogg. I know that despite there being an exemption for religious faiths to conduct same sex ceremonies, many of those Conservative and Unionist, wealthy, privately educated members, such as Jacob Rees used their own religious beliefs and morals as an excuse to vote against it and try to pretend that they're not just right-wing, bigoted, dinosaurs stuck in a time warp, such as Jacob Rees-Mogg is.

However, I now think back to the 2015 General Election (It does seem an awfully long time ago now doesn't it) and a notorious interview given to The FT by The Right Honorable Member for Hastings & Rye. As well as making disparaging remarks about her constituency, the wealthy, privately educated Ms Amber Rudd was asked if she thought the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Act 2013 would be an issue at the election for voters. Rather than just answer 'no' as any normal person would, Ms Rudd blurted out -

I really don't think they'll still be thinking about anal sex

Now to me that highlights 2 things:

1. The wealthy, privately educated, Conservative and Unionist brain works differently to that of a normal person.
2. It proves, along with some other things in regards to Ms Rudd, that you can take the wealthy, privately educated, Conservative and Unionist out of the girls dormitory at Cheltenham Ladies' College, but you 'aint never going to take the girls dormitory at Cheltenham Ladies' College out of the wealthy, privately educated, Conservative and Unionist.

So, back to the aforementioned predominately, male, wealthy, privately educated, Brexit backing, Conservative & Unionist members of The European Research Group and Leave Means Leave and their opposition to gay marriage, such as Jacob Rees-Mogg - could something that happened at Eton College be behind it?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
How will I be less free ?

Let’s wait and see exactly what rights you lose after Brexit, then I’ll state exactly how you will be less free to live, work, study and retire in the EU.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
It's time you and I talked about gay marriage pasta because you're just the man I want because I think you're experienced enough to give me some insight into it.

There does seem to be a direct and undeniable correlation between the predominately, male, wealthy, privately educated, Brexit backing, Conservative & Unionist (just like yourself) members of The European Research Group and Leave Means Leave, such as Jacob Rees-Mogg and Conservative and Unionist members of parliament who voted against the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Act 2013, such as Jacob Rees-Mogg. I know that despite there being an exemption for religious faiths to conduct same sex ceremonies, many of those Conservative and Unionist, wealthy, privately educated members, such as Jacob Rees used their own religious beliefs and morals as an excuse to vote against it and try to pretend that they're not just right-wing, bigoted, dinosaurs stuck in a time warp, such as Jacob Rees-Mogg is.

However, I now think back to the 2015 General Election (It does seem an awfully long time ago now doesn't it) and a notorious interview given to The FT by The Right Honorable Member for Hastings & Rye. As well as making disparaging remarks about her constituency, the wealthy, privately educated Ms Amber Rudd was asked if she thought the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Act 2013 would be an issue at the election for voters. Rather than just answer 'no' as any normal person would, Ms Rudd blurted out -

Now to me that highlights 2 things:

1. The wealthy, privately educated, Conservative and Unionist brain works differently to that of a normal person.
2. It proves, along with some other things in regards to Ms Rudd, that you can take the wealthy, privately educated, Conservative and Unionist out of the girls dormitory at Cheltenham Ladies' College, but you 'aint never going to take the girls dormitory at Cheltenham Ladies' College out of the wealthy, privately educated, Conservative and Unionist.

So, back to the aforementioned predominately, male, wealthy, privately educated, Brexit backing, Conservative & Unionist members of The European Research Group and Leave Means Leave and their opposition to gay marriage, such as Jacob Rees-Mogg - could something that happened at Eton College be behind it?

well thats a wasted 45 mins of your life you wont get back

Stephen Seagull

Oct 6, 2015
Barcelona
Let’s wait and see exactly what rights you lose after Brexit, then I’ll state exactly how you will be less free to live, work, study and retire in the EU.
I’ve been living in Spain (Barcelona) since 2005. This is an honest question, how will I be affected? What will happen when we (wife and kids, all with Spanish passports) visit my family in the uk?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I’ve been living in Spain (Barcelona) since 2005. This is an honest question, how will I be affected? What will happen when we (wife and kids, all with Spanish passports) visit my family in the uk?

They won't be allowed in the UK after Brexit because all foreigners are going to be banned, you'll have to visit by yourself. You won't be able to go back to Spain with your blue passport, at best you might be able keep in contact via Skype, but that's only of the EU doesn't cut off our internet.

None of that will happen though, you won't be able to visit the UK in the first place because planes aren't allowed to land at the airports anymore, and in any case you wouldn't want to visit because we'll all be bankrupt from the day after we leave.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama

For stays of over 3 months (ie longer than a tourist visa), if the UK leaves the EU your wife and kids will be subject to the same racist laws that those of us who have non-EU wives are subjected to. You will need to earn over £18,600 a year, and perhaps more importantly, have lived and worked in that job for 6 months before your wife and kids are allowed to join you living in the UK, thus separating you from your family and your kids from their father for this time period.

If you just pop back to the UK for a few weeks at a time it probably won’t make much difference other than having to wait stupidly long hours at the airport for your family to make it through immigration.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here