D Day for my wife and the rest of the school

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
All the best for your family Dave - top man :thumbsup:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
And also some absolute bellocks! Thats where i come in.:moo:
That doesn't have to be your role in life Rev. Indeed, it would be no harm if no one filled that role. You know that, as a group of footy fans, we're suffering at the moment - could you not help ease our suffering by easing off the bellocks?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Somehow you just knew that someone would get in on this to voice their bias, pick on what they don't like and simplistically make a link as to the solution. I wonder if you have a family - presumably you will be giving all your dosh, your house and your car to the state when you die?

Thank-you for your response to this thead. It is much appreciated and offers an invaluable insight into the predicament faced by DtG's wife and her school. I do agree that there is far too much humour on this board and it would be a better place if we were all earnestly serious at all times.

Somehow you just knew that someone would get in on this to voice their bias, pick on what they don't like and simplistically make a link as to the solution. I wonder if you have a family - presumably you will be giving all your dosh, your house and your car to the state when you die?

Not sure why i should have to give loads of money to the government just because i die,already paid tax on all my earnings for the last 38 years and taxed again when i had to spend all i earned just to live. Just because i opted to buy i property and didn't p all my money up why should i be punished! Plenty of properties between 500k-million in sussex does not make rich just because your house goes up in value! Well done the conservatives on this one!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Thank-you for your response to this thead. It is much appreciated and offers an invaluable insight into the predicament faced by DtG's wife and her school. I do agree that there is far too much humour on this board and it would be a better place if we were all earnestly serious at all times.
Thank-you for your response to this thead. It is much appreciated and offers an invaluable insight into the predicament faced by DtG's wife and her school.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not sure why i should have to give loads of money to the government just because i die,already paid tax on all my earnings for the last 38 years and taxed again when i had to spend all i earned just to live. Just because i opted to buy i property and didn't p all my money up why should i be punished! Plenty of properties between 500k-million in sussex does not make rich just because your house goes up in value! Well done the conservatives on this one!

As I understand it, the proposal is to raise threshold to £1m, not scrapped.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
OK, fair enough, but honestly.
;)

Obviously we'd like Dave's wife to keep her job, but I'm not sure what your problem is with Hasting's post. El Pres has posted his comment on the political situation, and Hastings has replied. This thread was obviously going to lead to politics.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Patcham High the school in question I'm guessing. My other half transferred out just in time and it's crap for those still there because Paula and everyone else have worked wonders turning it around and now this.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

One might be tempted to give the same sarcastic response to your post. For the record, I taught for 35 years, know full well the worries of this sort of thing, and the people concerned have my every sympathy. Don't forget, it was not I, who decided to use the situation for some sort of simplistic political points scoring. All too often in education it is easy to cut at the coal face - I lost count of the various characters who used to breeze in and tell us how to do it, or latterly the perpetual initiatives, accompanied invariably by thousands of glossy brochures, but if you wanted the money to update a course, for example, this would never be funded with such ease.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
One might be tempted to give the same sarcastic response to your post. For the record, I taught for 35 years, know full well the worries of this sort of thing, and the people concerned have my every sympathy. Don't forget, it was not I, who decided to use the situation for some sort of simplistic political points scoring. All too often in education it is easy to cut at the coal face - I lost count of the various characters who used to breeze in and tell us how to do it, or latterly the perpetual initiatives, accompanied invariably by thousands of glossy brochures, but if you wanted the money to update a course, for example, this would never be funded with such ease.

Is that a valid subordinate clause at the beginning of your third sentence HG? Surely the comma after the 'I' shouldn't be there...

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
;)

Obviously we'd like Dave's wife to keep her job, but I'm not sure what your problem is with Hasting's post. El Pres has posted his comment on the political situation, and Hastings has replied. This thread was obviously going to lead to politics.

Of course this thread is political. Politicians are deciding the fate of these schools. How can it not be political? People will lose their jobs because politicians have cut their funding.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Real shame - hope it goes well for mrs [MENTION=20]granny weatherwax[/MENTION] but the whole thing stinks, IMO.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I'll never understand why people put this sort of personal thing on NSC.

For me, sharing stuff like this is what makes NSC the Community (with a deliberate capital C) that it is.

And it also gives some valuable insights on occasion around major issues, like education, austerity or whatever that are tied up in this.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Because of the slashing of funding for brighton and hove unitary authority, there are meetings in all schools to announce the slashing of staff jobs, teachers, administrators, teaching assistants..which some of you may have read in the argus.

Anyway. Today is my wife's school's turn and this afternoon she finds out if after 20+ years she still has a job. It is not just her, it is the whole school that has been threatened with huge cuts.

:(:(:(

All the best for Mrs Granny.

having a wife who works in (very) Senior management in a sixth-form college (different funding arrangements, but hey-ho), one knows only too well how easy it is for people who are doing an excellent job - and who are acknowledged as doing an excellent job - to get kicked in the teeth by the system and the "men in suits", as someone else put it above.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here