Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Do you play a musical instrument

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I was very good at the oboe when I was a teenager (grade 8) but it’s not very rock n roll so I stopped when I left school. Played piano as well. But wasn’t as good at that. Always think that one day I might try and learn the drums (which I think would be tough) or bass guitar (which I reckon would be quite easy).

There was a psychiatric nurse called Donna ( nicknamed Kebab obvs) who I knew back in the day and, man, that chick could play the pink oboe like Acker Bilk on bugle.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I was very good at the oboe when I was a teenager (grade 8) but it’s not very rock n roll so I stopped when I left school. Played piano as well. But wasn’t as good at that. Always think that one day I might try and learn the drums (which I think would be tough) or bass guitar (which I reckon would be quite easy).
Grade 8 in anything's a pretty good start! Were not some of the skills involved in playing the oboe reasonably potentially transferable to a saxophone, which is rather more rock'n'roll? How different is the fingering?
For drums, I think you need to have an inborn sense of rhythm and timing - if you haven't got that natural on-board metronome it's always going to be an uphill struggle. Bass guitar though, it depends how far you want to take it. To play in a pub band - country and western or covers - it really is fairly basic. If you want to be good, though, that's another ball game - you won't lay like John Entwistle in a hurry!
Trouble with both drums and bass is that they're difficult to get into unless you're playing with someone else.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
I went about it all wrong. Started Bass because my mate at school had a band and needed a bassist and I had a second hand fender precision in my house.

Had to learn guitar afterwards which is tough.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Grade 8 in anything's a pretty good start! Were not some of the skills involved in playing the oboe reasonably potentially transferable to a saxophone, which is rather more rock'n'roll? How different is the fingering?
For drums, I think you need to have an inborn sense of rhythm and timing - if you haven't got that natural on-board metronome it's always going to be an uphill struggle. Bass guitar though, it depends how far you want to take it. To play in a pub band - country and western or covers - it really is fairly basic. If you want to be good, though, that's another ball game - you won't lay like John Entwistle in a hurry!
Trouble with both drums and bass is that they're difficult to get into unless you're playing with someone else.

Ssshhh...don't tell since1982 that bass playing "really is fairly basic" he's been at it for 40 years and thinks Quo Lays are tough.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
can play the drums a bit, but currently learning the Acoustic guitar.

The one thing I am having trouble with is accidentally 'pulling off' when changing chords - i can play the chords fine but when i then go to another chord it pulls off so it rings out when i dont want it to. Tis frustrating.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
can play the drums a bit, but currently learning the Acoustic guitar.

The one thing I am having trouble with is accidentally 'pulling off' when changing chords - i can play the chords fine but when i then go to another chord it pulls off so it rings out when i dont want it to. Tis frustrating.

Have a look at Peter Green playing "oh well" (guitar heroes at the BBC on YouTube)

He holds his chords beautifully. Taught myself just by copying him...about 300 times

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I'm a pretty good DJ so I'd say I can play a record well. None of this CDJ nonsense though, vinyl on some 1210's.

Yeah I can mix, quite well, it isnt really playing an instrument though, I guess it is like calling darts a sport. It kind of is. I cant do any proper turntablism mind

I've always and still would like to learn to play the guitar. It's definitely a regret not playing an instrument, and I think i could pick up enough chords to be able to play a few tunes and enjoy it, though I doubt anyone else would

Oh and to add to the bad jokes, to get, A Flat Miner, chuck a piano down t'pit

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Ssshhh...don't tell since1982 that bass playing "really is fairly basic" he's been at it for 40 years and thinks Quo Lays are tough.

There are some exceptional bass players out there - artistes in their own right. If there were CDs available of them playing with all the other instruments/vocals muted, I'd buy one (John Entwistle on Quadrophenia for example). There are other creative, innovative, talented bassists too.
There are also a lot who have done excellent jobs with their groups, underpinning everything, giving the creative high-flyers a platform on which to build and generally hugely appreciated by their fellow musicians, but without doing anything special. A bit like good defensive CMs - you don't notice them, but if they weren't there, you soon would! Not to belittle their contribution, but very much a supportive role.
John McVie, John Wetton, and maybe Bll Wyman instantly spring to mind.

lasvegan

Jan 30, 2009
Sin City
Bass. I played in a few bands in the 90s. Then the best guitarist I’ve ever met decided that he was going to go Christian just as we were breaking through and didn’t want to rock anymore...I just gave up...

Sad really but hey ho.

Well, when I went “all Christian” my church needed a bass player so I learned to play. Have been playing regularly for the last 20 years and I love it. Some of the music is actually fairly decent...

jeremyfisher

Dec 8, 2013
I took up the violin 6 weeks ago (aged 48) - learning from youtube.

Had my first real lesson on Tuesday.

And am hoping to take my grade 1 in July.

My teacher thinks I'm mad to do a grade so quickly, but I need something to keep my focused - nothing like an exam to do that!

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Well, when I went “all Christian” my church needed a bass player so I learned to play. Have been playing regularly for the last 20 years and I love it. Some of the music is actually fairly decent...

Well when he went "all Christian" he refused to play rock music anymore and went all Kum bay yah.

I couldn't understand why God would give the boy that gift of musicality and sheer raw talent and waste it on campfire strumming.

I still don't as it goes..and I don't have any objection to Christianity on an individual level. Good luck to you.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Guitar (acoustic and electric) and voice. Written songs over last 40 years or so. Want to learn piano.
Toyed with drumming at school. Play a bit of harmonica. Can manage a mean kazoo.
Lead a band at church. Have been in a few over the years. Do the odd open mic.
Have a thumb piano in the house but no idea how to play it.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Seems like we should put a few bands together and make up some 'proper' Albion related songs :)

I'm delighted to have made a start on learning to play at the young age of 49 and feel more encouraged after reading that a few of you guys are living the similar dream.

Just wish I'd done this 25 years ago when I was singing semi pro.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Couple of simple ones for the OP.

Whole Wide World. I like this version best, only two chords (E & A) so you shouldn't need a tutorial vid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUFL8WSxTgY

and this ones is a classic 'learne'r too.

Horse with No Name. I've put a decent tutorial here as the chords and rhythm are a bit more subtle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My-tNHJlCAE

Both of these are two chord songs. Horse is one I like because the rhythm teaches you how to accent off beats or 'and' beats. One AND two AND three.......

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Seems like we should put a few bands together and make up some 'proper' Albion related songs :)

I'm delighted to have made a start on learning to play at the young age of 49 and feel more encouraged after reading that a few of you guys are living the similar dream.

Just wish I'd done this 25 years ago when I was singing semi pro.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX5tfRdkoY0

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
This & This

Attachments

• 51jlkmSEsXL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg
    51jlkmSEsXL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 77
  • 7107736_800.jpg
    7107736_800.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 82

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Do doobee doobee...

Your hairs all greasy and you feel like a slob...you're only 16 and you can't get a job....throw your clothes into a duffel bag...

Doobee doobee doobee.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here