Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Two shootings in north London - 17yo girl dead

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
I here what you’re saying. But I feel part of the resolution is providing plenty of genuine hope and opportunity for youngsters. My feeling is part of the issue is the range of options on offer. If I was 18 and faced with paying 50k for an education, or the very real change of ending up on a zero hours minimum wage contract in a high street shop I might think again. I appreciate there are other jobs out there but it doesn’t seem there’s many....and not everyone can have one of these “other” jobs even if they wanted to.

It’s blindingly obvious to me the U.K. needs to grow different economic sectors but it’s been constantly overlooked by every government in my life time.

This documentary attempts to explain how youths in inner city areas are drawn in to the drug trade , with interviews from those directly involved .
( subtitles could do with correction from one of the better educated pedantic posters here )

[yt]22-HIZNOqWM[/YT]

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Whilst this is obviously not a good thing (and, interestingly, the estimated population for both cities is 8.54 million, so in some ways it's a good compairson), the annual murder rate for New York is circa 327 (average for last five years), and for London is 105. I don't think taking one or two months is representative. I wouldn't be surprised if the murder rates in New York are lower in January and February due to the extreme cold weather they have.

Worth noting that there were 2245 murders in New York in 1990 compared to 190 in London.

Channel 4 did some fact checking and it turns out that London isn't worse than New York after all. The figures were manipulated slightly.

https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-is-london-really-deadlier-than-new-york

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Apparently some people are blaming these gang deaths on the police and they should fight them as the common enemy:

https://youtu.be/aj1b2j_psNg

That'll sort it. 2+2=5

You will always find someone who thinks like it, just as you will find the black London woman interviewed on the radio this morning who thinks stop and search is a good idea.

The Police don't always help themselves in their relationship.

Where I used to live, the next street was a bit problematic to say the least but I rarely had a problem (*).

For some reason the Police thought it was a great idea to put up multiple banners (not unlike Estate Agent signs) telling everyone they had installed CCTV.

:)

The residents I believe had encouraged the CCTV but took offence (as I did) they decided to embark on a self promoting marketing exercise, effectively telling everyone this was a bit of shit area.

Brilliant watching the residents pulling them down. The police couldn't do a thing because they hadn't committed an offence.

(*) The trouble I had ? A rumour went round I was a Police Office :)

Some young kid kicked a bin over and I told him if I saw him do that again I would call the Police. Unfortunately he misheard me and I was even called "scum" by a local woman.

Few weeks later (after getting a bit annoyed by this), I approached a particularly dodgy local in the street who the residents seem shall I say "respected" and told him about my problem.

Next thing I know after walking down the street I'm getting smiles and waves from the locals, including the woman who called me scum.

I moved out of the area a few months later and have never gone back.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
You will always find someone who thinks like it, just as you will find the black London woman interviewed on the radio this morning who thinks stop and search is a good idea.

The Police don't always help themselves in their relationship.

Where I used to live, the next street was a bit problematic to say the least but I rarely had a problem (*).

For some reason the Police thought it was a great idea to put up multiple banners (not unlike Estate Agent signs) telling everyone they had installed CCTV.

:)

The residents I believe had encouraged the CCTV but took offence (as I did) they decided to embark on a self promoting marketing exercise, effectively telling everyone this was a bit of shit area.

Brilliant watching the residents pulling them down. The police couldn't do a thing because they hadn't committed an offence.

(*) The trouble I had ? A rumour went round I was a Police Office :)

Some young kid kicked a bin over and I told him if I saw him do that again I would call the Police. Unfortunately he misheard me and I was even called "scum" by a local woman.

Few weeks later (after getting a bit annoyed by this), I approached a particularly dodgy local in the street who the residents seem shall I say "respected" and told him about my problem.

Next thing I know after walking down the street I'm getting smiles and waves from the locals, including the woman who called me scum.

I moved out of the area a few months later and have never gone back.

Yep. If a black person becomes successful, some in the community regard them as traitors.

This chap Kalam from TITANS TV has an educated view point on the issue. If you watch it skip to 10 mins:

https://youtu.be/UIEiQ2SpOpc

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here