Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Handball!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm not a fan of VAR at all, but I must admit it all ran very smoothly last night and the correct calls were made. On the Murray "handball", the VAR obviously reviewed it and (correctly) decided that there was no handball, the ref had already made the right call, so no review was necessary.

There's still the potential for all manner of buffoonery to kick off, but last night it was unobtrusive and worked well (without there being anything major to review this time).

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
So Palace will now be like Norwich when Case knocked them out the cup, still going on about the handball decades later :lol:

Don't. My stepfather's son-in-law was Paul Haylock, the bloke that Jimmy barged past to score. I was talking to him at a family do and he was still going on about it six years later
Any excuse to post it:

[yt]kzlkreoDmf8[/yt]

The goal is about 2:30mins in.

And actually, from the camera behind the north stand, it looks even LESS of a foul. The carrot crunchers are bleating over sod all.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

I’ve been on a long drive this morning. Every sports bulletin on the radio has detailed how we progressed with a “controversial goal”.

Its a slow sports headline news day.. they (The Media) must have been desperate for VAR to be used or to be shown to be wrong. Good reaction from Roy Hodgson though who has clearly moved on..

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
VAR is designed to reduce human error and controversy. We score. VAR confirms it wasn't handball. Oppositions manager agrees it wasn't handball. TV pundits agree it wasn't handball. Headlines: "Brighton beat Palace with controversial goal"

Moral of the story, the media are a pile of f**kwits.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Touched his knee and goes in while trying to stick his arms as far back and to the side as possible.

Got to be some kind of bellend to try and contest that.

To be fair, even by your definition, Mark Bright has every right to contest the decision

Don Parasol

Jan 29, 2017
Here's an odd thing. I wasn't able to get from Heathrow to Brighton to catch the match live and watched it in a Woking pub instead. When the winner was scored I genuinely did not celebrate. The knowledge that the VAR was watching seemed to hang heavy and it must have been 10-15 seconds before I bought into the fact that we had just won the match. I don't know if that response would have been different had I been at the game.

This makes me wonder how I feel about VAR. it's nice to be able to put the NigeLLLLLLs in our pocket and kick any of their puny handball claims into touch but... part of the reason I go to games is the rush that comes when a goal is scored. Will VAR deny me that or at the very least dilute it? Possibly. If that's the case then I can't help but feel that we may just have lost a little part of something that makes the game very special. Odd.

Agreed. VAR definitely removes some that rush of excitement when a goal is scored and thats why I've aways been against it. I think it's sad for the game - you should take one look at the ref., see their decision, and start celebrating... Looks like we may be losing that, and instead see a quiet period introduced, where everyone waits nervously for the technology.

I would genuinely rather referees get things wrong than see the game changed like this. Wrong decisions all get evened out over time anyway, and they give fans something to argue about which we all enjoy. Even after video confirmation the Palace players still argued at the final whistle!

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
At least Roy and seemingly most of their fans have accepted the clearly obvious that they were beaten fair and square by the better side on the day, which only a total ****ing idiot like Mark ****ing 'Bright' would argue.

Imagine watching your team play that poorly and still deluding yourself to the extent that you can still argue that the defeat was unjust in any way. Sako was the only player out there for them that looked like he may have played football before.

Expect to see more of this clutching at straws from the media as VAR continues to get rolled out.

Last edited:

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
Brighty clearly and obviously a genius in the Trump mould :tosser:

Glenda Goal.jpeg

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Ha! I NEVER celebrate a goal until I can see there is no lino flag up and the ref is trotting back to the halfway line. I have had my celebrations crushed far too many times. So VAR won't affect my reaction to goals in the slightest.

Agreed. How is it different at all to waiting for the lino and ref to judge it? Took the same amount of time, so no difference.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Credit to the ref and the VAR ref for using the technology swiftly and unobtrusively.
Easy to imagine another ref deciding to both bottle the decision and grab some limelight calling for a pitchside review, or a less confident official tucked away near Heathrow poring over multiple angles repeatedly frame by frame trying to find something that wasn't there.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Agreed. How is it different at all to waiting for the lino and ref to judge it? Took the same amount of time, so no difference.

Theoretically there is no difference but in practice there may well be. Listening to some comment about VAR on the radio before the match the suggestion was that monitoring referee basically had until play resumed to flag up any objections to the referee on the pitch. That means that instead of 3-4 seconds of uncertainty we could have as much as a minute. I don't object to VAR in general but this is just the kind of thing that needs to be codified so that we all know where we are. I believe that the longer term goal should be for the crowd at the match to have the same knowledge as those at home on TV (basically like in rugby) so that there is clarity as to what is happening. At the moment the practice is a little hazy but that's understandable as it is in its infancy.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5248345/Petty-protests-Palace-hard-refs-it.html

Martin Samuel is digging out the Palace players :lolol:

Anyone still unaware of what match officials are up against in football need only watch the moments after the final whistle at the Amex Stadium.

Several Crystal Palace players, Yohan Cabaye, Bakary Sako, Wayne Hennessey, still went to referee Andre Marriner to protest about Brighton’s winning goal.

Despite the fact they would have known that, this time, the official could be certain his call was correct.

‘I’ll prove it to you,’ Marriner appeared to be saying, in defence of his judgment. He shouldn’t have to prove it to anybody. Who do they think they are, these clowns, that they know more than an assistant referee with access to every conceivable angle?

At his studio outside London, video assistant referee Neil Swarbrick would have studied the footage and informed Marriner there was no obvious mistake. If anything, scorer Glenn Murray was trying to get his arm out of the way. Most importantly, he succeeded.

Yet it still wasn’t enough for Palace. Instead of taking responsibility for failing to win, they sought to place blame on that most familiar of scapegoats: the referee.

And while the video referee process may be far from perfect, it did its job last night. It confirmed Marriner’s correct calls, did not interfere with the flow of the game and exposed the childishness of the modern professional. The latter was an unexpected bonus.

Palace’s players looked small, self-indulgent and petty in their protests against all evidence. Grown-ups 1 Toddlers 0. A good win, that.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

Players STILL appeal to the ref for a ball crossing the line.

Absolute DUMB DUMBS.

I've not read the thread yet so apologise for inevitable repeating a previous point but I didn't go last night and settled down to watch BT Sports's VAR watch. Sure, they mentioned the football match every now and again but my GOD they were desperate to try and find some controversy about the goal (which, let's remember, was COMPLETELY fine)

The point where I eventually turned off was Rio Ferdinand saying something like:

"What ALL fans want to know is, WHY didn't the VAR look at ALL the angles"

Ummmm.... BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T NEED TO, RIO.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
the host in the BT studio with Rio and Stevie G certainly sounded like she wanted to.

She was a dick. Even after EVERYONE including Roy had said that it was a clear goal and there was nothing wrong with it, she was DESPERATE to try whip up controversy about it. Embarrassing.

All I've learned from this is that the impossible is possible. Mark Bright is actually an even bigger KNOBHEAD than I previously realised.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
It was a goal, Dave. They all said it was a goal, Dave. VAR said it was a goal, Dave. Dave, everyone says it was a goal. Dave, it was a goal.

(with further genuflection to Red Dwarf).

Wait so all the crew are dead? is that what you are saying...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I’ve been on a long drive this morning. Every sports bulletin on the radio has detailed how we progressed with a “controversial goal”.
WTF?

It didn't even touch his hand/arm, not even accidentally.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here