Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 'Champions' league tonight

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We’d have to play with 15 men to lose 1-0!

In all seriousness, Spurs should not have picked an ineffective lightweight like Lamela in a game like this. He’s a waste of a place. Lamela, Moura and Son is too many attacking midfielders who won’t keep it tight and aren’t good enough to guarantee enough goals at the other end. All it’s done is create an open game in which Barcelona have the much better attacking players. They should have gone three at the back, three in midfield with wing backs and played one of those three off Kane.

Good assesment.

The teams that have occasionally been effective against Barca firstly have a wealth of their own WC players, then they use CH tactics to play it tight, sit deep and try to nick a goal. Even then it usually fails, but at least you're not made a fool of.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Exactly. Priority number 1 against Barcelona - stop their midfield. Actually, stopping their midfield is impossible, but at least battle and make it hard for them. That means matching them for numbers and then outworking them. How does Pochettino think Wanyama and Winks are going to compete with Barcelona’s three?

Surely Eric Dier would've been a better bet, in the role of breaking up Barca's play.
May be untidy but effective.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Agree with you both. Barcelona are an embarrassment in how quickly they fall to the floor, but again Spurs are incredibly naive in continuing to give them opportunities to do so.

Sorry, I wasn’t telling you off [MENTION=28934]AmexRuislip[/MENTION]

The post quoted is really where I am. The most basic of research tells you that as good as Barca are on the ball the prevailing culture is to get any advantage you can and you can’t play in to it. Spurs are making it harder for themselves than they should and Barca are playing their natural game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Exactly. Priority number 1 against Barcelona - stop their midfield. Actually, stopping their midfield is impossible, but at least battle and make it hard for them. That means matching them for numbers and then outworking them. How does Pochettino think Wanyama and Winks are going to compete with Barcelona’s three?

Poch would disagree, pointing to great mileage covered and closing down from his packed midfield. But their runs to try and close down Barca players have been brainless - selling themselves, tripping and fouling opponents, leaving huge gaps behind. No discipline in that first half.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Game on now though. Kane is the one world class England player there is.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Sorry, I wasn’t telling you off [MENTION=28934]AmexRuislip[/MENTION]

The post quoted is really where I am. The most basic of research tells you that as good as Barca are on the ball the prevailing culture is to get any advantage you can and you can’t play in to it. Spurs are making it harder for themselves than they should and Barca are playing their natural game.

Oh [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] I'm only pulling your leg.
I always appreciate an alternate view :bowdown:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
3-1 and the sort of goal I can’t even score on FIFA on the easiest setting against Macclesfield

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But has Messi done it on a cold December Tuesday night against Macclesfield? No, no he hasn't.

He couldn't do it for the Albion at the Etihad.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here