Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Flasks banned from the Amex

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
“We are currently exploring how we may remove other single use plastics – beer cups and plastic bottles being the two most used items in the stadium – but current alternative options present a number of challenges due to the unique football stadium environment. We will keep fans updated.”

Twickenham charge a quid extra on your first pint. You can redeem your glass ( firm plastic - reusable) and get your quid back or not but the kids cotton on to those who can’t be arsed.

Sorted.

Be a bit of a nightmare for the stewards as people think they can take their drink to their seat rather than just the empty glass they need to hold on to to be able to get a full one at half time or after the game

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Be a bit of a nightmare for the stewards as people think they can take their drink to their seat rather than just the empty glass they need to hold on to to be able to get a full one at half time or after the game
Oops, I appear to have left 2 inches of wine in the bottom of my glass [emoji38]ol:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If they want their quid back they hand into designated staff who collect and have a apron with the dosh in. I don’t know............. paint these people purple if you must and finish your pint 3/4 minutes earlier or forget about it if you don’t mind the fiver plus a pint. Any unattended empties the kids round up. I know a lad who made over 350 quid at an England v Wales game once. I think I’d be tempted .
If the club are serious about getting rid of single use plastic then they could insist Sodexo or whatever they are called do it.
My guess is it would too much bother.for them............... like our crispy Thai noodles we were promised . Everyone is interested in conservation until it becomes the slightest bit of hassle or a wee bit of expense.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If they want their quid back they hand into designated staff who collect and have a apron with the dosh in. I don’t know............. paint these people purple if you must and finish your pint 3/4 minutes earlier or forget about it if you don’t mind the fiver plus a pint. Any unattended empties the kids round up. I know a lad who made over 350 quid at an England v Wales game once. I think I’d be tempted .
If the club are serious about getting rid of single use plastic then they could insist Sodexo or whatever they are called do it.
My guess is it would too much bother.for them............... like our crispy Thai noodles we were promised . Everyone is interested in conservation until it becomes the slightest bit of hassle or a wee bit of expense.

Exactly......’challenges due to the unique football stadium environment’ in Barberspeak.........ie, too bloody difficult and will cost me too much

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
That isn't what has happened, though. Is it? The club identified that flasks are a health and safety risk prior to the man utd match early August. They are not actually banning them until September. We know this because word was sent out to stewards to let customers know that flasks will not be allowed in from the Fulham game. So, they have identified a risk and think it's perfectly fine to allow that risk to exist at what will be one of our most attended home fixtures this season. They are allowing it at a second home match v Southampton.

If they need to be banned, why wait? Why are they only such a threat from the Fulham game on?
Why just flasks when terrorists have used backpacks in the past - the club statement around their ban for flasks even points out that they are continuing to allow bags when others don't?

Terrorists' aims are to get us to change our way of life through fear. Every time we introduce something in the name of fighting terrorism we are giving them a victory, so should ask ourselves, how necessary is it? With all the vulnerabilities around the stadium, it feels like banning flasks is pointless.

I don't know, but it's certainly not to make more money on tea sales!

I would imagine banning flasks for the United game would have caused uproar, as it would have meant people having them taken away. I suppose at least this way the club can say everyone is warned. They have been banned from Wimbledon sine 2014. I would imagine the threat is very low, but its just the times we live in.

They check bags at the turnstiles. They cannot be expected to check flasks as well.

I agree it's overkill, but those are the rules.

But again, I would say it is 0% to do with rising hot drink sales. Because it won't. Taking this action, the club probably know they will be losing sales, as those who think its a money grab will not purchase drinks, even when they normally would. It would be interesting to see how much hot drink sales fall this season, but I be fairly certain they will take a big hit over this.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
"Health and Safety", "experts say", "taken advice"

These are explanations for all seater stadia. Not having pay on the gate. Not letting you pass your ticket off to someone else. Kettling of fans. Shepherding fans to train stations even when they don't need the train.

Why are we allowed to debate the validity of those decisions, but when it's flasks we're supposed to shut up and accept the club's decision. To not do so is a paranoia borne from the ashes of our troubled past, etc.?

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Stick it down the front of your strides. Nobody will touch you there. A wee dram of malt on a cold evening match - marvellous.
Funny you should mention that, it’s where it normally goes :)

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Still available to purchase in the store at the Amex! :)

Untitled.png

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Do you have similar complaints about tight security at airports? As for the Manchester Arena, the security around exits has been altered signfiicantly to reduce the potential for someone to detonate a bomb in a densely occupied area.

We have to accept that we live in a heightened state of security where people will happily blow their own heads off to take a few infidels with them. I quite like the fact that the club wants to proactively minimise the risk to my safety when I go to a game.
I do agree that safety must come first but there is a gaping great hole in the frisking down at the Amex. A 5'5" 15 year old young lad, in a great big padded overcoat is unchecked due to child safegaurding, so he can carry through any weapon he likes for someone else to use. Our youngest convicted terrorist in the U.K was 14. I find seeing this happening every game far more worrying than some 70 year old with a flask

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I do agree that safety must come first but there is a gaping great hole in the frisking down at the Amex. A 5'5" 15 year old young lad, in a great big padded overcoat is unchecked due to child safegaurding, so he can carry through any weapon he likes for someone else to use. Our youngest convicted terrorist in the U.K was 14. I find seeing this happening every game far more worrying than some 70 year old with a flask

I can see another letter from Mr Barber being issued, warning all grandchildren caught smuggling flasks for their grandparents into the Amex, if caught their season tickets are at risk of being withdrawn,:D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here