Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Oh, and [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION], please don't post about the TdF on here, it has it's own thread which I avoid until I've watched the stage 'as live'. I suspect I am not alone.

You are the king of the spoiler! :p

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh, and [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION], please don't post about the TdF on here, it has it's own thread which I avoid until I've watched the stage 'as live'. I suspect I am not alone.

You are the king of the spoiler! :p
A relatively stupid thing to say but still I hope you and [MENTION=5362]manintheblackpajamas[/MENTION] have a great time.

Usual stuff applies chaps, lots of photos, lots of stories and don't forget the geek motto:-

IN IT TO WIN IT.

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
So, after much waiting, here it is...

ba5avu8u.jpg

Went out for a short ride on it just to get used to it and then round to a friend's to show it off! Hopefully do some more miles on it on Sunday.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

ba5avu8u.jpg

Went out for a short ride on it just to get used to it and then round to a friend's to show it off! Hopefully do some more miles on it on Sunday.

It's the wrong way round! We can't see your £500 chainset - I imagine it offsets the rest of the fishing tackle (that's for you stat).

Looks nice though and a cracking deal.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
A relatively stupid thing to say but still I hope you and [MENTION=5362]manintheblackpajamas[/MENTION] have a great time.

Usual stuff applies chaps, lots of photos, lots of stories and don't forget the geek motto:-

IN IT TO WIN IT.

Cheers!

Weather forecast is now cataclysmic, and some of my companions have decided to ride tomorrow instead. Not a choice I could make, or would make. I've paid to enter, I've gone through hoops to sort out all the red tape, I am doing it on Sunday (or trying to, at least).

A bit nervous now...

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
Cheers!

Weather forecast is now cataclysmic, and some of my companions have decided to ride tomorrow instead. Not a choice I could make, or would make. I've paid to enter, I've gone through hoops to sort out all the red tape, I am doing it on Sunday (or trying to, at least).

A bit nervous now...

It's strange. Sitting here at the campsite now there is still no real sign of what's to come, but come it will I suspect.
Will be too warm for full winter gear when climbing, so it's just a case of how much I can stash in my pockets to try and warm up the descents as much as possible. I'm expecting to be shivering nonetheless.

And thanks [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION]
Obviously there will be no photos from the day due to the 'in it to win (survive) it' but I'm hanging round to watch the pros show us how it's done next week so will get some then and maybe from some other rides before then.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
It's strange. Sitting here at the campsite now there is still no real sign of what's to come, but come it will I suspect.
Will be too warm for full winter gear when climbing, so it's just a case of how much I can stash in my pockets to try and warm up the descents as much as possible. I'm expecting to be shivering nonetheless.

And thanks [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION]
Obviously there will be no photos from the day due to the 'in it to win (survive) it' but I'm hanging round to watch the pros show us how it's done next week so will get some then and maybe from some other rides before then.

Clothes-wise - do you think a log sleeved base layer would be foolish? Is it going to be too hot for that?

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
It's the wrong way round! We can't see your £500 chainset - I imagine it offsets the rest of the fishing tackle (that's for you stat).

Looks nice though and a cracking deal.

Sorry, I didn't even think about what side to take the photo from. You can tell what an amateur I still am in this game. You'll also have to explain the fishing tackle reference.

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
Clothes-wise - do you think a log sleeved base layer would be foolish? Is it going to be too hot for that?

It's cooling off a lot from the high 30s of recent days but still looking like 19 or 20 degrees in Pau. To me that is too hot for climbing in too many layers.

One thing that looks certain is the rain, so I'm concentrating on lightweight shower proof gear plus the usual pack-able arm warmers.
I do not for one second think this will keep me warm at the summit of the Tourmalet (forecast to be 2 degrees) but short of having a domestique fetch me warmer gear I'm not sure what to do.
I have got some marigolds with me that I'm thinking of wearing over my mitts on the way down!!

Oh dear...
Massive blast of thunder as I write

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
It's cooling off a lot from the high 30s of recent days but still looking like 19 or 20 degrees in Pau. To me that is too hot for climbing in too many layers.

One thing that looks certain is the rain, so I'm concentrating on lightweight shower proof gear plus the usual pack-able arm warmers.
I do not for one second think this will keep me warm at the summit of the Tourmalet (forecast to be 2 degrees) but short of having a domestique fetch me warmer gear I'm not sure what to do.
I have got some marigolds with me that I'm thinking of wearing over my mitts on the way down!!

Oh dear...
Massive blast of thunder as I write

Yes, thanks, sounds sensible. 2 degrees? Oh God.

Well, off to Gatwick soon. Nothing ventured...

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
I would bring as much as you can fit in your bag and see in the morning.

Don't forget your medical certificate, convocation and passport for registration in Pau today.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
[MENTION=109]mani[/MENTION]ntheblackpyjamas and [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION], I salute you. You are about to hit the maximum HTFU level by the sounds of it.

Probably a bit late now, but this type of contingency sounds exactly why the Aldi/Lidl flash sales were made for. Pick up some cheap semicrap kit which you bin the second you don't need it.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
A quick note to [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] and [MENTION=109]mani[/MENTION]ntheblackpyjamas -

Good luck boys. Am in awe of you. Enjoy those descents - remember how brilliant they will be as you are battling up the ascents.

Chapeau chaps.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

ba5avu8u.jpg

Bedsex bedsex bedsex, what are we going to do with you.
Terrible photography.
You now belong to a higher power, a greater calling, you're not a member of 'cycling wishy-washy', you are a part of:-

Cycling GEEKS.

Now right out 500 times:-

I will only take bike photos that meet the geek criteria.

I bet you never knew there was a wrong way to take a photo of a bike :lol:
Have a great ride tomorrow, she's a beauty.

I'm getting a bit twitchy having not seen [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION]'s new steed, yet.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Nice work Bedsex. Hope you have loads of fun on your new bike. Look forward to hearing how you get on with this bike because it looks like cracking value for what you paid :thumbsup:

I was wondering what saddle everyone rides on, and what stories they've got to tell? With so many of us on here now and a few with new bikes, perhaps there's scope for a saddle swapshop if anyone is struggling?

I've been happy on a Selle Italia gel flow Flite, but been increasingly numb the longer my rides get. So having tried a Fizik Arione (thanks to Glanders) and not got on with it, I thought I'd give an Aliante a try as it should in theory fit me better. Just picked a nice Kium railed one up from ebay in as good as new condition for a good price. I'm looking forward to trying it out (when I finally get back out again) and hope it's the saddle for me, but if not I'll be looking to swap or sell on and keep trying different saddles until I get one that feels comfortable even on my longest rides.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here