Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Barber's Deadline Day Disappointment

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
TBH I've stopped bothering to anticipate the "Albion finally sign a quality striker" story. He ain't coming - it'll be the usual last minute mess with reporters standing outside training ground gates - Brighton barely mentioned - then the next morning hard luck story of an offer made a few minutes before the deadline to someone who's got zero intention of coming anywhere near Brighton.

Shame - with such a whopping great recruitment department - and such a talented, well-connected and verbose CEO - we can't sign anyone, can't score goals and will spend the rest of the season watching our fledgling, hard-earned and long-awaited Premier League status ebbing away. And we won't be bothering with trying to create some fun with the FA Cup either because "this might jeopardise our Premier League survival" !!!

Chris Hughton has already worked miracles with what's at his disposal - he might very well feel quite let down.
Agreed, sadly.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Since Ulloa we haven't really ever had 'that' striker have we? Hemed has come close but not stepped up, other than that we had to rely on old players coming back - Zamora, Murray. And a series of failed loans.

Renegade

Nov 24, 2017
We move into Day 18 of the transfer window and still no sniff of incoming striker (s).

Pathetic and shambolic club from the club.

I disagree with you.You know much of the transfer 'window' has become a transfer 'day' because so much happens on the last
day.Hence the big fuss Sky Sports make on that final day.They love the drama.
Personally I am not expecting anything to happen until the final 3 days.

If we mess up like last summer then we can all complain.

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
I disagree with you.You know much of the transfer 'window' has become a transfer 'day' because so much happens on the last
day.Hence the big fuss Sky Sports make on that final day.They love the drama.
Personally I am not expecting anything to happen until the final 3 days.

If we mess up like last summer then we can all complain.

That is my point, lessons should have been learnt from the last transfer window. The club are in danger of the same thing happening all over again.

Renegade

Nov 24, 2017
That is my point, lessons should have been learnt from the last transfer window. The club are in danger of the same thing happening all over again.

But it's not up to them.They can't dictate everything.Also we were unusually unlucky to have TWO players who failed their medicals.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

So I'll ask again, how EXACTLY do the club prevent their targets dragging their feet to try and get a better deal or see if other deals come forward ?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Sky Sports make on that final day.They love the drama

This.
Sky can do this, because it sells, and gives out of date pundits job's something to do and give their unwanted opinion on the matter.
I can stick my my neck out and say that Tony Bloom will not see us become a laughing stock, all because of the inadequacy to land a striker, as this latest window draws to a close.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
They should have sealed a deal by now, they have had 7.5 months to do so since the end of last season!

HOW ? Nobody seems to be explaining HOW ?

Anyone that really thinks that the Albion are purposely, or incompetently, not signing a striker is mad. The club is a multi-million pound business that is exceptionally well run and has an owner that has put more into the club financially than all of us combined. The idea that PB, TB or the recruitment team want to put this at risk is ridiculous.

They'll have their targets already - HOW do they force the current owning club to agree a deal ? Throw stupid amounts of money at it like Man City, PSG et al ? Remember that money will come directly out of TB's pocket not yours ! So the club have managed to strike a deal with the owning club. HOW do they then force the player to accept, and of course to accept in the first few days of the transfer window to satisfy the impatient supporters ? Break the wage structure ? Of course the player will hold out as long as possible for offers from elsewhere - HOW do the club stop this ?

So, come on then, explain HOW ?

Last edited:

Renegade

Nov 24, 2017
They should have sealed a deal by now, they have had 7.5 months to do so since the end of last season!

What do you mean they have had 7.5 months?As you know there hasn't been a transfer window for 7.5 months.
If you mean during this time they should have been looking around then when the window is open then
make enquiries well that's what they have been doing.

Gazz15

May 13, 2014
Newhaven
What do you mean they have had 7.5 months?As you know there hasn't been a transfer window for 7.5 months.
If you mean during this time they should have been looking around then when the window is open then
make enquiries well that's what they have been doing.

They had 3 months last summer, and Barber said they immediately resumed their transfer search on 1st September.....basic maths dear boy.

Therefore 'looking around' for 7.5 months and coming up with no result is failure!

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Since Ulloa we haven't really ever had 'that' striker have we? Hemed has come close but not stepped up, other than that we had to rely on old players coming back - Zamora, Murray. And a series of failed loans.

Stepped up ? , failed loans, relied on. Not sure where you were in the last few years but
In the last 2 and a half seasons Baldock, Hemed, Murray and Zamora (all recruited for less than the price of 1 Jordan Rhodes transfer) scored 100+ goals between them, about 40 or so assists, and their goals contributed to Albion's 2 most successful seasons for over 30 years. Ask the rest of the Championship how much they'd like to have that sort of success in recruiting forwards. (Reading, Derby, Sheff Weds, Leeds, Fulham and the rest of em still struggling to get out of the division.).
Yes. Chuba Akpom was a dud. Leon Best likewise but so what. They didn't play and it didn't , in the end , matter.
The transfer window last summer was frustrating but lets not rewrite history.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here