Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Watches

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
[emoji1]

Well in that case, take the cash, buy the Mrs a nice piece of jewellery and spend the rest on something worthwhile. Win win & win.

Daughters wedding in Vegas next year. Thats what its going towards. Or I might just bung it all on BLACK

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
4 months ago I knew nothing about watches, now I'm an expert (obviously :rolleyes:). And with that in mind...
You don't need to service a watch ever 3 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoF4G_mKi-Q

If it's not running well, sure, otherwise save some money.

Guess what - after about 3 years, my watch started running slow. However on the plus side, they replaced the crown within the cost of the service as it wasn't quite right.

Boy Blue

Banned
Mar 14, 2016
http://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Tag Heuer/Aquaracer/WAY211C.BA0928/29975/item/68052

Been thinking of buying a new watch and remembered this thread. Looked on the WatchFinder site and saw this. For those with more knowledge on the subject, any thoughts on this model and also how often it should be serviced and what the rough costs would be for a service?

I clicked that link on here awhile back and bought my Tag from that site. Was dubious about buying online from links but reassuring that other people use them as well. Love my Tag watch.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Guess what - after about 3 years, my watch started running slow. However on the plus side, they replaced the crown within the cost of the service as it wasn't quite right.
What make, what was the time keeping like when new, and how slow did it get?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
What make, what was the time keeping like when new, and how slow did it get?

It's the TAG Aquaracer Automatic I mentioned earlier. Time keeping was fine when new, as it is now. Hard to quantify how slow it got as that was a couple of years ago, but sufficient to give me no choice than to service it. Probably no more than a few minutes a week, but it needed rectifying.

By the way, mention of Watches of Switzerland was no recommendation. I bought it there, but would never go back. When I bought the watch, I had a minor post sales issue which they would not address, despite their pre sale promise. When I was discussing it with the sales assistant, not even arguing, the security person at the door moved across in a very intimidating manner as did the other sales assistant. So I would never return there and, in fact, had the watch serviced at Ernest Jones.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Casio f91w. Cost me 5.99 & had for about 6 years. Wear it all day & night every day. Can wear it swimming & surfing & playing football & to the gym. Has alarm, stop watch & light & tells the time! Amazing little time piece. I will definitely get another when the battery dies (expected life of 10 years)

I also have a chunky formal time piece from storm which I used to wear all the time. It's a combo of big chunky with modern styling. I only wore it during day as too big & heavy for bedroom action (got in the way lots..) & I now only wear it to wedding, job interviews etc. Friends bought it for me for my birthday & I've had it 9 years.

V happy to have my Casio daily wearer (which reminds me of school) & my smart going out one

PS right handed & left wrist wearing, but Casio is light weight enough that I can put it on my right & forget it's their so the strap tan line disappears

I think this needs a poll. Right handed Left wrist, right hand right wrist etc

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's the TAG Aquaracer Automatic I mentioned earlier. Time keeping was fine when new, as it is now. Hard to quantify how slow it got as that was a couple of years ago, but sufficient to give me no choice than to service it.
Well indeed, if it was running well and then it started losing a fair bit of time, it's a good time to service it. But I don't think we need to service a watch that's running well every few years.

By the way, mention of Watches of Switzerland was no recommendation. I bought it there, but would never go back. When I bought the watch, I had a minor post sales issue which they would not address, despite their pre sale promise. When I was discussing it with the sales assistant, not even arguing, the security person at the door moved across in a very intimidating manner as did the other sales assistant.
Classy.

Casio f91w.
I've got a Casio W-59 :)

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I got a Tag Aquaracer 8 years ago from Goldsmiths, had it serviced once while battery replaced and it serves me very well. Still in excellent condition and really reliable piece.

I also have a Breitling that I got from Ocean Jewellers in the Lanes and the after service care there has been very good. Also happy to provide insurance valuation so I could have it added onto my insurance.

I alternate between them, Breitling a bit more dressy, with the Tag being a bit more casual.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Evening watch afficionadaos,

I am looking for a present for my son's 21st. He has expressed a preference for a mid-sized watch with a leather strap, a light-coloured face and a fairly plain dial. Budget is around £1,000.

Doesn't have to be new but I would like a box and papers.

Any thoughts?

Oh, and me...I rarely wear a watch but when I do it is a Decathlon sports watch on my (right-handed) right wrist and I don't wear it in bed.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Evening watch afficionadaos,

I am looking for a present for my son's 21st. He has expressed a preference for a mid-sized watch with a leather strap, a light-coloured face and a fairly plain dial. Budget is around £1,000.

Doesn't have to be new but I would like a box and papers.

Any thoughts?

Oh, and me...I rarely wear a watch but when I do it is a Decathlon sports watch on my (right-handed) right wrist and I don't wear it in bed.

I'd get a robust cheap watch and buy him a great holiday/trip somewhere. Just sayin.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So you're thinking of a dress watch, that goes well with a suit? How much time do you have, as if you're getting second hand it may take a while to find what you want?

Are you looking for an automatic (that's what I'd want, but we're not all the same).
If looking for new at that price, have a look at Oris. Second hand maybe an Omega, but it will take some research.
For less money I'd look at Seiko.

Doing that as well, just also want to get him something with a bit of keepability.
Wow, lucky boy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here