Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Will we go down if we don't sign anyone else this window.

Will we go down if we don't sign anyone else this window?

• Yes

Votes: 84 66.1%
  • No

Votes: 43 33.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Oh goody, another poll.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Will we go down if we sign a player?

Will we stay up anyway?

Precautionary says we could sign a direct experienced replacement, aging homegrown player for the rest of the season as a direct replacement in central midfield for Sidwell?

It might only make a difference of we got two simultaneous month long injuries to our central midfielders? So whether it makes any difference could be down to ill fortune. Of course, it would be better if we signed a youngish home grown goal scoring midfielder who could hit the ground running and score in each of our next four Championship fixtures. Unlikely though.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Ok.....I am gonna give it a go.
We have 14 games left, of which 5 are against the big six. So that is zero points. Of the remaining nine games, we have Saints, Stoke, Everton, Palace and Burnley away. Two draws from those games will be realistic. At home we have West Ham, Swansea, Huddersfield and Leics. Three wins and a draw would be very good. We have taken 8 points from the last 13 games and I am predicting 12 from the last 14 games. Total 35 points.
Well....I tried.

What about the other clubs?

37GamesE.jpg

It somewhat coincides. Only 37 games. We could escape by winning at Liverpool?

Add on another point for Southampton this afternoon and minu another 3 on our goal difference and add one to Southampton

I'v e got Newcastle winning their three easy home games though. Failure to do means adding on other candidates totals, so it does not make that much difference. I think 38 pts will be needed.

PS: Away at Palace looks like being crunch match like none other before it.

Last edited:

Conelli98

Dec 18, 2016
We will get relegated with or without another signing! We may lose Dunk and a couple of others in the summer but I trust CH and club will give us the best chance to do a Burnley! For me it was a huge mistake not having enough firepower at the start of the season. CH and Bloom were loyal to the players and kept their word and gave them a chance. I may be wrong and we survive but if we don’t then so what...we move on! UTA

DavePage

What about the other clubs?

View attachment 93342

It somewhat coincides. Only 37 games. We could escape by winning at Liverpool?

Add on another point for Southampton this afternoon and minu another 3 on our goal difference and add one to Southampton

I'v e got Newcastle winning their three easy home games though. Failure to do means adding on other candidates totals, so it does not make that much difference. I think 38 pts will be needed.

But the table also suggests Arsenal 4th with Man Utd 6th

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
We will get relegated with or without another signing! We may lose Dunk and a couple of others in the summer but I trust CH and club will give us the best chance to do a Burnley! For me it was a huge mistake not having enough firepower at the start of the season. CH and Bloom were loyal to the players and kept their word and gave them a chance. I may be wrong and we survive but if we don’t then so what...we move on! UTA

We don't move on, we move down.
All the PL momentum, building a squad with the potential to survive at this level and then strengthening further, will be halted. If we don't get back again for 2-3 seasons, we will have lost a competitive edge against teams who have hung on at the highest level and are comfortable at buying £20-25m players. The new TV deal will see PL clubs get even richer. If we are not part of that, we will have a huge job trying to bridge that gap and good players will be sold sooner than they otherwise might have been.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
To make a difference we need players in place and up to speed for the next league game and onwards. Players that need a month to adjust are not going to help. We also need better than we have just now, or at least equally good cover. Not easy.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I've always thought we'd go down and no reason to change my mind yet. I don't have a problem with that at all - getting here was a step up for the club.

Surely it was a massive step up for a club like Bournemouth ( much smaller fanbase, much much smaller ground and arguably, less potential ) but they seem to have worked out a survival formula. Their team is still the core of their Championship side and they are taking points off the big boys. Hanging on for one season, gave them the financial clout to spend £20m on certain players and a wealthy backer means wages are not an issue.
Their ground benefits them. Its small, tight and oppressive and teams feel pressured but Howe also doesn't go ultra cautious away from home and always backs his team to nick a goal. He has concentrated relatively heavy investment on forward players and on evidence, it is the right policy.
Should we be relegated, questions have to be asked as to recruitment, management and strategy. There is no reason why we cannot emulate Bournemouth and survive at this level but it may require a different blueprint.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Voted yes but don't think necessarily we need "names", we just need depth. A CM is a must for me between now and 31st, with a CB if we're adamant Goldson is going on line (or even if he isn't but we're persisting with 3 at the back). A winger to go above Skalak in the pecking order would be nice but isn't a priority, and could be an easy position to loan someone in.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Surely it was a massive step up for a club like Bournemouth ( much smaller fanbase, much much smaller ground and arguably, less potential ) but they seem to have worked out a survival formula. Their team is still the core of their Championship side and they are taking points off the big boys. Hanging on for one season, gave them the financial clout to spend £20m on certain players and a wealthy backer means wages are not an issue.
Their ground benefits them. Its small, tight and oppressive and teams feel pressured but Howe also doesn't go ultra cautious away from home and always backs his team to nick a goal. He has concentrated relatively heavy investment on forward players and on evidence, it is the right policy.
Should we be relegated, questions have to be asked as to recruitment, management and strategy. There is no reason why we cannot emulate Bournemouth and survive at this level but it may require a different blueprint.

Possibly all true. All I look at, is there 3 teams/squads worse than us and I don't see it, 2 maybe Swansea and West Brom, after that I struggle.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Possibly all true. All I look at, is there 3 teams/squads worse than us and I don't see it, 2 maybe Swansea and West Brom, after that I struggle.

I’m not sure West Brom are! Really need to finish above Newcastle and/or Huddersfield to stay up.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I’m not sure West Brom are! Really need to finish above Newcastle and/or Huddersfield to stay up.

Nor me.
At the moment, I would suggest that the three favourites to go down are Swansea ( poorest team in the Div ) and Brighton and Huddersfield based on recent record and not likely to benefit from NMRS ( New Manager Resurgence Syndrome )

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Nor me.
At the moment, I would suggest that the three favourites to go down are Swansea ( poorest team in the Div ) and Brighton and Huddersfield based on recent record and not likely to benefit from NMRS ( New Manager Resurgence Syndrome )

I also sort of hope that the Lambert strategy of “all run about a lot and hope that helps” may not buy much of a bounce at Stoke.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012

Bournemouth have got 4 good strikers , and players all over the pitch who can score goals , that is the difference

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Interesting that Newcastle, Huddersfield and ourselves are in similar positions. Benitez (having by far the most experience of the respective managers at top level) is playing with a far more defensive style that we are, and they will probably survive as a result. The gap between the Championship and the Premier League is increasing and it will become even tougher for promoted sides in the future.

The difference in the quality of football is stunning.

We urgently need a good result to give some confidence otherwise we are sunk. We need to be optimistic at this stage so I voted stay up. I think, more than anything, we are reliant on Knocky to come good against the teams at the bottom.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here