Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How Premier League broadcast revenue works

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Seems like the Big Six didn't get it through today on the overseas rights change they wanted.

I wonder why Steve Parish didn't want the loot distributed more on league placing...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Why would the bottom 11 clubs ever vote for something like this?

The league would become worse if the disparity increased.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Why would the bottom 11 clubs ever vote for something like this?

The league would become worse if the disparity increased.

I guess to stop the "big 6" going off and a getting a TV deal on the club by club basis/form another league.

It's never enough.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I guess to stop the "big 6" going off and a getting a TV deal on the club by club basis/form another league.

It's never enough.

I'd love it if they fecked off and did that, the Premier League might then be as competitive as the Championship.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Form another league? One where you can't get promoted or relegated? Would UEFA want to offer them the CL spots, instead of the proper league?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Form another league? One where you can't get promoted or relegated? Would UEFA want to offer them the CL spots, instead of the proper league?

UEFA will do anything to appease our top clubs and the Real, Barca's etc - they have a fight coming up soon as well.

There is nothing stopping these clubs forming a new competition and UEFA know this.

UEFA are not going to ban Man United from the CL

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
UEFA want to do whatever generates the most revenue.
And will we fans pay for CL footy if it becomes a closed shop?
UEFA will do anything to appease our top clubs and the Real, Barca's etc - they have a fight coming up soon as well.

There is nothing stopping these clubs forming a new competition and UEFA know this.

It's not about banning a team, they simply offer places to those that finish top of the PL. If some clubs leave the PL, they've excluded themselves, they've not been banned.

So how do these clubs form a new competition? Don't the FA have a say in it? And do they get a place in the league cup or FA cup? So who are the 6 teams: Man C, Man U, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal & Liverpool - so Liverpool don't play Everton any more, the London clubs don't have derbies with West Ham, they just all keep playing themselves each week. I can't see it working.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

I say again, it really wouldn't bother me if the top 6 and all the other European giants formed a new league.

As a Brighton fan I can't say I enjoy being totally outclassed by teams financially backed by countries or way out of our league. I can look forward to playing the other Premier League clubs though, at least we are in with a shout of getting something.

Playing the top six is not the big deal that so many and the top six and their fans seem to think it is.

If the whole thing imploded, as it must eventually it wouldn't be a bad thing.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
So how do these clubs form a new competition? Don't the FA have a say in it? And do they get a place in the league cup or FA cup? So who are the 6 teams: Man C, Man U, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal & Liverpool - so Liverpool don't play Everton any more, the London clubs don't have derbies with West Ham, they just all keep playing themselves each week. I can't see it working.

Where there's a will there's a way, especially where money's concerned

A European super league isn't out of the question, they can quickly figure out the 19/20 participants. The TV money would be astronmical, particularly from overseas. The domestic league money would be a fraction of what it is now. Overtime they could even evolve a promotion/relegation approach with the top domestic teams from around Europe involved in play offs maybe conlcluding with straight shootout between the bottom 2 and 2 who make it through the play offs

They could conjour up some form of CL structure, maybe like FA cup where these super league teams enter at different stages depending on their final league position

That's right off the top of my head ... football 'brains' dedicating months or even years to it will come up with something.

Once the money paid by TV levels out I suspect we'll see some quite radical change. For the better? Who knows but I'm sure it's coming

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
And will we fans pay for CL footy if it becomes a closed shop?
It's not about banning a team, they simply offer places to those that finish top of the PL. If some clubs leave the PL, they've excluded themselves, they've not been banned.

Who is to say other clubs wouldn't follow them? It's happened before.

There is talk of CL having either spaces to invite teams that don't qualify, or teams like United being in it every year.

There is always a way around it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Where there's a will there's a way, especially where money's concerned

A European super league isn't out of the question, they can quickly figure out the 19/20 participants.
I can understand that. But then that's roughly what the CL is anyway. And part of the attraction is that different teams can qualify each time.

The TV money would be astronmical, particularly from overseas. The domestic league money would be a fraction of what it is now. Overtime they could even evolve a promotion/relegation approach with the top domestic teams from around Europe involved in play offs maybe conlcluding with straight shootout between the bottom 2 and 2 who make it through the play offs

They could conjour up some form of CL structure, maybe like FA cup where these super league teams enter at different stages depending on their final league position

That's right off the top of my head ... football 'brains' dedicating months or even years to it will come up with something.
If what they come up with includes teams rotating (as they do in the PL for example), then I can see some appeal. It's closed shops I'm particularly against.

There is talk of CL having either spaces to invite teams that don't qualify, or teams like United being in it every year.
I would find that unacceptable and I don't see what's in it for UEFA since the big teams nearly always qualify anyway.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I can understand that. But then that's roughly what the CL is anyway. And part of the attraction is that different teams can qualify each time.

If what they come up with includes teams rotating (as they do in the PL for example), then I can see some appeal. It's closed shops I'm particularly against.

I would find that unacceptable and I don't see what's in it for UEFA since the big teams nearly always qualify anyway.

The European Clubs Assocation, which represents the continent's biggest clubs such as Real Madrid, AC Milan and Manchester United, are currently meeting in Nyon, Switzerland, and, according to a report in The Sun, one of the ideas which gained greatest support was a plan for senior clubs to be guaranteed places in the Champions League from 2018 - regardless of whether their domestic performances qualify them or not.

The ECA exert huge influence over UEFA and with the next Champions League TV deal due to begin in 2018, they intend to wield their power, suggesting that the biggest clubs will be those most attractive to broadcasters, even if they're not there on merit, so they should be included every year.

Not so much in Italy/England and France to a certain point.

Ajax miss out a bit as well

What's in it for UEFA? Money and to keep control of course.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The European Clubs Assocation, which represents the continent's biggest clubs such as Real Madrid, AC Milan and Manchester United, are currently meeting in Nyon, Switzerland, and, according to a report in The Sun, one of the ideas which gained greatest support was a plan for senior clubs to be guaranteed places in the Champions League from 2018 - regardless of whether their domestic performances qualify them or not.
So who are the senior clubs in England?

What's in it for UEFA? Money and to keep control of course.
FIFA/UEFA already have the control, and they're not in danger of losing it, so agreeing that some big clubs are always in doesn't give them extra control. And how will they get extra money?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
So who are the senior clubs in England?

FIFA/UEFA already have the control, and they're not in danger of losing it, so agreeing that some big clubs are always in doesn't give them extra control. And how will they get extra money?

If the clubs went and formed a break away CL UEFA would have nothing left.

The TV money would follow the clubs.

what would stop the clubs from doing this?

Banning the players from international football, not a massive threat and not going to happen.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If the clubs went and formed a break away CL UEFA would have nothing left.
The TV deals are arranged in advance, if a bunch of big clubs (say Man U, Man C, Chelsea, Spurs) left, then other clubs would go into the CL instead (Arsenal, Liverpool, Everton, etc). Those clubs would get the money, and have more money to spend on players the following year.

what would stop the clubs from doing this?
It would depend on what the arrangement was, and whether us fans would pay to see it.

Banning the players from international football, not a massive threat and not going to happen.
That's a pretty big threat to a lot of players. International football matters to some of them. But I wasn't suggesting banning them anyway.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here