Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2014

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Thank you. I did not want my review saddled, nay tortured with the usual idiosyncrasies one imparts so often when unravelling the inner mantle of a pretentious condescending synopsis.

To be fair, I like this thread but that is a very amusing reply.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I have not read this thread for ages. I now know why. Dreadful wannabe film critics. It's made me cringe.

I enjoyed your review of this thread, very insightful, thought provoking and honest, if a little flawed in it's premise. I give it a solid 2.675 out of 10.

I saw it last night, I was unimpressed. It was completely unoriginal, I think some of it was lifted from your own work, Nibble, which may be why you enjoyed it. Really, the whole 'post in a thread I have no interest in to tell people I have no interest in it with a hint of insulting everyone who does Schlick' is just like your own 'why do grown up people like this stuff?' posts in the wrestlemania thread. And let's be fair, you weren't the first to go into a wrestling thread with such comments, and it's not just wrestling threads, it's dr who, too.

It doesn't even have the hypocritical nuances that seem to pervade those that make such posts in any Gus Poyet thread that is complimentary or highlighting his success but are conspicuous by their absence in any thread criticising him or highlighting his Sunderland failures.

So it wasn't even a remake of an original post, it was a remake of a remake of a remake. Furthermore, that wrestlemania thread was barely a month ago, isn't it too soon for a remake?

It's definitely a low, low 2.674/10

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I saw it last night, I was unimpressed. It was completely unoriginal, I think some of it was lifted from your own work, Nibble, which may be why you enjoyed it. Really, the whole 'post in a thread I have no interest in to tell people I have no interest in it with a hint of insulting everyone who does Schlick' is just like your own 'why do grown up people like this stuff?' posts in the wrestlemania thread. And let's be fair, you weren't the first to go into a wrestling thread with such comments, and it's not just wrestling threads, it's dr who, too.

It doesn't even have the hypocritical nuances that seem to pervade those that make such posts in any Gus Poyet thread that is complimentary or highlighting his success but are conspicuous by their absence in any thread criticising him or highlighting his Sunderland failures.

So it wasn't even a remake of an original post, it was a remake of a remake of a remake. Furthermore, that wrestlemania thread was barely a month ago, isn't it too soon for a remake?

It's definitely a low, low 2.674/10

Agreed. Go and see Locke though, it's reet good.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Blue is the Warmest Colour 8/10

One of the best coming of age dramas I have seen in recent years, if not ever. Incredible performance by the lead Adele, throughout the three hours she expressed a range of emotions and not once was she unconvincing. The story itself was engaging, never knowing exactly where it was going until the end with some excellently imaginative and thought provoking dialogue.

Just got around to watching this and was blown away with the acting in it. Adele is superb and the dialogue is brilliant.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Noah

I absolutely LOVED this film. It is Big, Bold, Bonkers and Brilliant with some of the best and unique sequences I have ever seen. It had mixed reviews and some savage reviews but balls to that, it is an absolute BEAST of a film. 8.6

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
*gulp*
The girlfriend and i tonight went to the Barbican. I sort of didn't tell her too much of what we'd see, knowing that her sister told her that the last film by Joanna Hogg was unbearably boring. It's a new film, i told her, from a director made out in some circles to be "the forefront of new British cinema", and in we went. Well, the film is called Exhibition and concerns a married couple, both independent artists, who after 18 years together in this house cum studio have to decide whether to move on, and really it seems as if it's a case of moving on from each other as much as the place they've called home for eons. Throughout the film the building creaks and groans and sorrily moans, as if possessed at times by a Tarkovsky film or taking sonic snippets from the Berberian Sound Studio, and says a thousand more words than the two artists who've set up such separate lives within. The 2 leads gave a reasonable performance, but have little to say really, and the action itself is rare.
For the first 30 minutes or so without much happening and the aesthetic not piercingly coloured enough to demand eternal inspection or intrigue i was joining forces with the BY JINGO THIS IS SOME BORING TRIPE brigade, but then i began to be a little more gripped. I won't say i enjoyed it, as i just didn't, but i was interested enough to see what would become of the couple and the property itself. I am unsure whether that meant it was at all well-handled, or whether i had to fill in the bags and sometimes give narrative overall in the long moments when someone simply walked somewhere.
I can't say i recommend, and will maybe give it another 10 years before i see my next Hogg film. For as much as i'm growingly perturbed by the meaningless, i don't think i am anywhere near the level of thinking, whichever it may be, that sees great purpose or beauty in something so generally inert.
And decondescend.
Good night.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Going in I was less than enthusiastic about how good it would be as the trailers made it seem really serious. It was, mostly. It was in many ways like a disaster movie.

I was a little confused early on by the exposition about parasites and such, thinking that they were talking about Godzilla, and then we see the first beast break out of its cocoon at a nuclear power plant and it looked more like a bug than Godzilla, which disappointed, I thought maybe it might be a quickly evolving monster like in mimic and it would eventually look more like a the Godzilla we know.

But it turned out that the bug like monster was the parasite, and Godzilla was nature's way of controlling it, and Godzilla was great. He was CGI, but he still had the same design and movement of the old man-in-a-suit Godzilla.

I particularly liked that rather than having small skirmishes over the course of the movie with each raising the stakes on the previous, until it goes over the top with the finale, instead they would tease we were about to see an amazing fight, then cut away and we'd see glimpses of the fight on TV screens etc. and then the finale we got to see in all it's building destroying glory.

There were moments that made me chuckle or were just great geek out moments that made me smile.

There were some sub plots that I will be referred to by plenty of academic papers drawing meaning from them, showing that there is something symbolic, but to me they seemed irrelevant, but they were short and quickly resolved.

Overall, really enjoyed it

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Godzilla

This film is great. Loyal to the source material, a decent story and solid acting. It also has one of the Olsen Twins in it which is a bonus. Some superb set pieces and you end up LOVING the 340 foot beast. Well worth a visit and the 3D is very good. Good critical reviews and Kermode's film of the week.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Godzilla

This film is great. Loyal to the source material, a decent story and solid acting. It also has one of the Olsen Twins in it which is a bonus. Some superb set pieces and you end up LOVING the 340 foot beast. Well worth a visit and the 3D is very good. Good critical reviews and Kermode's film of the week.

Elizabeth Olsen is the younger sister of the Olsen twins Ashley and Mary-Kate.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Between Godzilla and the Avengers: Age of Ultron it's a big 12 months for Elizabeth Olsen

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Ok., one of the Olsen Sisters then. She was good enough and a lovely looking Woman.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I have to totally agree with [MENTION=3887]Uncle Spielberg[/MENTION] about Godzilla. I saw it at the Imax at Crawley, and it was a great, unpretentious movie. I really enjoyed it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The Wind Rises

Miyazaki's swan song, a love letter to Japanese aeronautical engineering, it followed the true story of one of the pioneers of Japanese aircraft design pre-WW2.

Stunningly beautiful film, it's interpretation of the Great Kanto Earthquake of 1923 is incredible and worth the cinema ticket price alone. One small negative perhaps is that the film is quite one-paced (that pace being slow) and only picks up at a couple of moments, but overall it is well worth a watch if you have an interest in anime.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
It's late, and i haven't quite the energy to blather or think why think of things. So, to keep it simple, i saw Godzilla this evening and didn't think that much of it. One of those films in which i keep thinking i must have fallen asleep on around 12 30-second occasions. It's possible i might have done, but don't remember doing so. Anyway, i felt nothing for it. It didn't seem to know how to control itself as a story and was ludicrous in its heroism of both Aaron Taylor Johnson and of the huge lizard himself whose trampling antics can't really have him labelled as such. Anyway, again, an unsturdy combination of hammy corn and not enough good scrapping between the beasts. It also made good actors act bad.
And i thought i couldn't blather.
Godzilla. Not good.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
There certainly seems to be a split on Godzilla. Not just here, but most reviews I've seen either seem to love it or find it boring. Quite interesting. Got the largest opening of the year in America, so a sequel is likely, but how will it fare in week two if half the audience are telling people how bad they thought it was?

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Saw Blue Ruin the other night. Didn't like it as much as Kermode and Mayo told me I would but it's indie, really well acted, written and directed, and the first half is top notch. No story brief here, it'd be better if you knew nothing about it when you see it. 7.5.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
X-Men: Days of Future Past
I liked it, but most of the comments I have are spoilerish, so will leave it with that.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here