Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Heurelho Gomes

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We have had that for the past hour it wasnt brilliant it was instinct s.,.t or bust.

Instinct isn't desperate. It is knowing when to leave it or come out for it. The first one he got wrong, the second one he got right. Brilliantly right.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
We have had that for the past hour it wasnt brilliant it was instinct s.,.t or bust.

I've just seen the other posts and edited my contribution, but if you're going to be stubborn I'll reply. Why so quick to take aim at Stockdale yet so reluctant to give him praise ? It was a very good save, if it was Lloris or Courtois MOTD would cream themselves over it. Put your bias to one side and acknowledge his effort.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Dont get me wrong it earnt us a point but I do not consider a desperate throw yourself at the ball/player as good a save as Marshall performed diving towards his post to push a shot around the post, that to me is a good save. Or getting up and tipping a shot over the bar that to me is the signa of a good keeper. Henderson or Smith cvould throw themselves at a one on one and the ball hit them did it make them a good keeper.

Does this explain my view

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
he didnt close the gap he just threw himself at the ball in a do or die effort. He didnyt have time to close the gap as you put it. Instinct told him to charge the ball down, which he did

He did close down the gap, you need to watch the replay on the Sky Sports website. When Dunk makes the soft header Stockdale is about 2 yards off his line, he makes the save just outside the 6 yard box having only had a split second to react, he rushes forward, then jumps forward and spreads his body making himself bigger and reducing the angle even more. It was nothing other than an excellent save, for you to call it anything else shows your total lack of understanding of goalkeeping.

It was very similar to the kind of save Peter Schmeichel was famed for making and he is considered one of the best Premier League keepers ever. Your anti Stockdale agenda shows through in pretty much every post you've made in this thread.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
he didnt close the gap he just threw himself at the ball in a do or die effort. He didnyt have time to close the gap as you put it. Instinct told him to charge the ball down, which he did

F**k my old boots......I give up :facepalm:

I bet you were a riot as mine host" behind the bar when you had your pubs.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We must all agree to disagree as I would have been very disappointed had not done what he did, whether or not it worked is a totaly different kettle of fish. As it happened it did, had it not I would still have expected him to have made the attempt.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
We must all agree to disagree as I would have been very disappointed had not done what he did, whether or not it worked is a totaly different kettle of fish. As it happened it did, had it not I would still have expected him to have made the attempt.

Well, we all agree and disagree with you, so it's a start.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
So how far do you actually have to 'charge the ball down' to be considered as 'closing the gap'?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that you were inferring that he came out about 5 or 6 yds then threw himself at the ball. As opposed to throwing himself from virtually where he was.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think that you were inferring that he came out about 5 or 6 yds then threw himself at the ball. As opposed to throwing himself from virtually where he was.

The point Dunk has just mis-headed it. DS is 3 yards off his line;

image.jpg

The point he blocks the shot. DS is 8 yards from his line;

image.jpg

That IS 5 yards in most people's books.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
The point Dunk has just mis-headed it. DS is 3 yards off his line;

View attachment 59141

The point he blocks the shot. DS is 8 yards from his line;

View attachment 59142

That IS 5 yards in most people's books.

I was going to post about BG continued lack of knowledge regarding goalkeeping but it's pointless, he will argue black is white. I now look at his post with amusements.............he's a gift that keeps giving!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
How far would a 6ft3in man go forward if he threw him self at the ball. I think that anwers the point. Lets hope he is not called upon to prove anything tomorrow.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
How far would a 6ft3in man go forward if he threw him self at the ball. I think that anwers the point. Lets hope he is not called upon to prove anything tomorrow.

He's fully upright in both images, you complete mentalist.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

It answers nothing. There is none so blind as though who don't want to see.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I was going to post about BG continued lack of knowledge regarding goalkeeping but it's pointless, he will argue black is white. I now look at his post with amusements.............he's a gift that keeps giving!
When he stopped the ball according to that picture he is never 2 yds from the 6yd line just behind him.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury

BG's views on goalkeeping have always made me laugh ... once I got over my disbelief at his comments!

FDM, for instance, was regularly criticised by BG. On some occasions he was right but, many times, his expectations were absolutely ridiculous and showed no coherent knowledge of the art of goalkeeping.

However, there was never any praise for FDM when he had good games and made great stops. He was 'doing what he is paid to do' and 'lucky'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here