Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Reality Check Is Nigh

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Whatever happens in this tournament, I am liking how England play.
Probably for the first time since Venables was in charge I've actually been looking forward to watching England. Southgate has instilled clear principles on how he expects us to play and the players are fully behind him. With quality young talent coming through (and already World Champions/Tournament Winners in their age groups) the future looks bright for England if Southgate carries on in the same vein. I can actually see us winning a tournament in the next 10 years!

Hoddle for me but yes couldn't agree with you more otherwise.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Does the formation change to accommodate a second more defensive minded midfielder against the better teams?

As good as Henderson has been thus far, he's been under no pressure, I could easily see a situation where he gets overrun with Lingard and Alli not doing much to help out....

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
One guy who lives near me painted a huge flag of St George on the wall of his garage for the world to see only for England to be beaten in the very next game. Eminently sensible therefore to wait a bit before painting either yourself or anything else red and white.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Either that or people are waiting to see if Joe Bloggs get theirs out first, not wanting to be seen as a complete chav, doing so.
I admit it's been a bit subdued lately, with the flag on car situation.
Normally it's been like some South American rally, after a coup d'etat :lolol:

Oi, I've got my flags on, and I'm not a chav !! There does seem to be a bit of a dearth of them though sadly. I suppose plenty have been burnt before and aren't bothering this year.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I prefer the low key under the radar approach of the public this year. In previous years the England team has seemed to have wilted on the burden of expectation.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
All the England flags got taken on #freetommy marches. Once their mums have washed out the tears they dried on them after the police were mean to the little broflakes they'll be back.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If we want to do well in the World Cup we have to be able to beat any team. I know that's stating the obvious, but trying to mess about finding the 'easier' route to the quarters or semi finals, is plain daft.
Keep winning if we can, as it's good for the confidence.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Am I the only one who feels like we're going way over the top about our easy 2 wins?

We scraped a win against Tunisia who Belgium beat 5-2 and then we beat Panama who are easily the worst team in the tournament and still, only 2 goals were scored from open play by us. Our next match against Belgium is a no pressure match, so again, a very easy fixture seeing that we can afford to lose.

I bet a million squid, we get knocked out by an average international side. The team will do its usual 'terrified of the opposition' tactics and the nation will yet again claim how crap England still are and how we fail to turn around games from losing positions.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Either that or people are waiting to see if Joe Bloggs get theirs out first, not wanting to be seen as a complete chav, doing so.
I admit it's been a bit subdued lately, with the flag on car situation.
Normally it's been like some South American rally, after a coup d'etat [emoji38]ol:
There are LOADS of car flags up here. After the first win they appeared and after Sunday they've multiplied.

Makes me smile every time I see them.

I don't put stickers or any type of crap on my car as I like how it looks but if we get to the quarters I might have to break my own rule and partake....

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Keep hearing about how good Belgium are but our boys play against many of them week in week out so have nothing to fear. Yes we have played some below average teams but so have many of the supposed better nations and they haven’t fared that well. I say we have enough to win this so I’m going all in WE WILL WIN THIS WORLD CUP

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Does the formation change to accommodate a second more defensive minded midfielder against the better teams?

As good as Henderson has been thus far, he's been under no pressure, I could easily see a situation where he gets overrun with Lingard and Alli not doing much to help out....
Yeah we just play Dier instead right?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Hoddle for me but yes couldn't agree with you more otherwise.
That was the best team/squad going into a tournament that I've ever seen. We had a genuine chance of winning the competition.

Unfortunately Hoddle's ego ruined that chance and I've never forgiven him. Plus everything he's done since has proved that he's a complete prick. Great player and good tactician mind.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
Keep hearing about how good Belgium are but our boys play against many of them week in week out so have nothing to fear. Yes we have played some below average teams but so have many of the supposed better nations and they haven’t fared that well. I say we have enough to win this so I’m going all in WE WILL WIN THIS WORLD CUP

Well said, Dorset Seagull! We can't be alone in this belief! Keep the faith! I'm looking forward to maintaining my 100% record of seeing England win every World Cup final they've been in!:thumbsup:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Oi, I've got my flags on, and I'm not a chav !! There does seem to be a bit of a dearth of them though sadly. I suppose plenty have been burnt before and aren't bothering this year.

The chav thing, is just a turn of phrase round here, for certain types, no offence meant.

There are LOADS of car flags up here. After the first win they appeared and after Sunday they've multiplied.

Makes me smile every time I see them.

I don't put stickers or any type of crap on my car as I like how it looks but if we get to the quarters I might have to break my own rule and partake....

Can't abide any sort of sticker crap in our car, except Albion air fresheners:lolol:
Usually round here the England flags are flying for all sorts of reasons, driven by fat balding men, with t shirts that resembling pelmets, so I am quite surprised they are not in abundance.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Am I the only one who feels like we're going way over the top about our easy 2 wins?

We scraped a win against Tunisia who Belgium beat 5-2 and then we beat Panama who are easily the worst team in the tournament and still, only 2 goals were scored from open play by us. Our next match against Belgium is a no pressure match, so again, a very easy fixture seeing that we can afford to lose.

I bet a million squid, we get knocked out by an average international side. The team will do its usual 'terrified of the opposition' tactics and the nation will yet again claim how crap England still are and how we fail to turn around games from losing positions.

I decided that the only match i was interested in our league was the Belgium team however i now learn they are likely to leave out their stars as they already have enough points, hopefully we will be matched with one of the top teams in the quarter finals so we at least get one decent game.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It is classic England fan hubris to be looking at who we might get in the quarter finals.
I disagree. Of course we could get knocked out straight after the group, but to win our group and lose to Brazil achieves nothing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here