Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

i360 buggered

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Nobody Knows Anything, you say. Perhaps you don't know that the West Pier Trust was being charged for storage of the remaining ironwork, or you could have offered to store it yourself. Selling it off rather than taking it to the tip seems quite a good idea. And how exactly are the West Pier Trust 'self-serving'?

Dont know about self serving but ive had little time for them since they had their ridiculous stall at the shore end trying to raise funds and one of their ageing gophers running the stall ripped a money holder from round my 11 year old neck pointing at similar on their stall accusing me of stealing it. Obviously couldnt read as mine clearly said benidorm. No apology led to an assault charge for the poor old bloke. Ive remained somewhat bitter about all things west pier since

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
The West Pier Trust are worthless.
A bunch of numpties who no one gives a **** about.

Maybe so. Not that there is a regular stream of other people coming forward with viable ideas for saving/preserving/rebuilding the West Pier. And paying for it.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Maybe so. Not that there is a regular stream of other people coming forward with viable ideas for saving/preserving/rebuilding the West Pier. And paying for it.

I'm sure there was an news story a few years back where it was revealed that the West Pier Trust committee have paid themselves some handsome wages while administering its decline. As for saving/preserving/rebuilding the West Pier..... its not going to happen.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

That ship has sailed, there is absolutely no way any of your three options have any chance of happening.

What happens to the money raised? Is it frittered away in "expenses" as the farce drags on?

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Having just Checked Companies House and seeing the list of directors, it's become very clear why a certain poster is being very defensive about the trust...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

because anyone knows the trust (and regency society) will obstruct anything other than full, authentic restoration. and now in its current state the only remotly viable path is demolition of whats left and a new pier. i say remotly viable because i dont think a pier has been built in 100 years, so doubt they are viable commercially to build from scratch.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Having just Checked Companies House and seeing the list of directors, it's become very clear why a certain poster is being very defensive about the trust...
Hmmm. Don't know anything about the Trust but full disclosure before posting would have been good.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Some info from Companies House for 2015 filings:

Nick Szczepanik was appointed a director in April 2105.

Income £80.6k
Expenditure £77.3k
Expenditure includes wages paid to 1 person for £40k, an increase of 7% from previous year

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Some info from Companies House for 2015 filings:

Nick Szczepanik was appointed a director in April 2105.

Income £80.6k
Expenditure £77.3k
Expenditure includes wages paid to 1 person for £40k, an increase of 7% from previous year

Does he have a Time Machine?

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Does he have a Time Machine?

I wasn't making any inferences between Nick and salary paid to the Chief Exec, apologies if it came across like that. They were 2 separate points of note I gained from the accounts.

I also found it interesting that wages of one person was more than half of the total expenditure.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I wasn't making any inferences between Nick and salary paid to the Chief Exec, apologies if it came across like that. They were 2 separate points of note I gained from the accounts.

I also found it interesting that wages of one person was more than half of the total expenditure.

I was only referencing the date he became a director nothing more :smile:

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
I was only referencing the date he became a director nothing more :smile:

OK, not sure what the date has to do with anything, but I included it because it was available. My point was that a poster on here is a current director and is posting defensively/positively about the trust. Until I'd been on Companies House I hadn't realised that could be a significant bias to the posts.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
OK, not sure what the date has to do with anything, but I included it because it was available. My point was that a poster on here is a current director and is posting defensively/positively about the trust. Until I'd been on Companies House I hadn't realised that could be a significant bias to the posts.

Maybe reading what you posted would help!

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
You would think saying that you are on the board of something you are talking about would help strengthen your argument. And that a journo would jump all over a politician who stood up for a company without disclosing an interest. As I say, I have no idea about any of the facts but full disclosure would have been good from the start.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

To be fair to the poster, it's his right to do so. IMHO it's no different to, say, a current director of the Albion posting defensively/positively about the club under an assumed message board name. I'd be very surprised if that hasn't happened before now.

My gripe with the West Pier Trust is historical. This is a trust that's being going since 1983 (and from 1978-1982 under a slightly different name). According to the latest set of accounts (PDF available HERE)

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/01399732/filing-history

the objectives for the trust include as its number one bullet point:

'to preserve and enhance for the public benefit the area comprising the West Pier, the foreshore and around and below it and their immediate surroundings...'

What's it been doing since 1978 other than presiding over the slow sad destruction of the pier by both natural and ignoble forces? And why hasn't it been wound up, seeing as how what little remains of the pier has all but sunk into the sea? What's it FOR?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here