Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2016

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Yesterday evening I toddled down to Galileo on Woodland Parade, most famous for being the location of the Vicente signing.

This place is a proper neighbourhood gaff where the staff seemed to know most people, which gave it a very welcoming feel. We were certainly met with a warm smile too which was NICE wasn't it.

The food really isn't any great shakes though. The calamari we had came with an 'aioli' which I'm sure was cheap tartare sauce with garlic thrown in last minute. The squid was actually well cooked to be fair so we'll mark that a 6.

I had a pizza, as you do, and the base was definitely frozen and it was basically an up market supermarket pizza. I can't complain because I ate it all but there's not much fresh coming out of that kitchen.

The wife has a bolognese that I could have made.

Their tiramisu was nice and light but no hit of booze or coffee so meh.

The house wine is very drinkable (11%) and we put away a bottle each but at £15 it's a BIT overpriced for where you're drinking it.

I won't moan too much because I'll undoubtedly revisit as I live nearish there these days and the staff make the place a very relaxing visit. No Michelin star headed there way but the customers, and me to be honest, don't seem to mind that.

6/10

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Little Fish Market last week.

Very delicious but very expensive.

£150 for 2 people - 5 courses and 5 paired wines.

I reckon the Silo tasting menu is marginally better.

Dinner at The Schooner tonight. Cannae wait.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Kikuchi - Hanway St, just off the Southern end of Tottingham Court Rd.

A traditional Japanese restaurant - none of this foo foo fusion crap. A sushi bar seating 6 and 7 small tables, mostly 2s; and two small private dining rooms in the basement.

We had:

Sashimi platter - chu-toro, yellow fin, razor clam, tuna tartare, sea bass.
An extra portion of the yellow fin sashimi
Uni nigiri
Chicken yakitori
Chicken meatballs - two portions
Steamed clams
Japanese chillies
Grilled yellow fin shoulder
Plain rice
Yuko sorbet

Kirin Ichiban x2
A bottle of Yamaguchi junmai daiginjo
Yuko wine 4 glasses over ice

The best sashimi and chicken balls I've had in the UK, and ranks in the top three of all time. The yellow fin was butter soft and utterly brilliant. The chicken balls are homemade, and you could tell - perfectly flavoured. Three different types of soy sauce chosen by the staff to complement the different dishes.

This was serious ingredient choice and excellent cooking.

£300 including 12.5% "optional" service charge (alcohol was 50% of the bill - mostly the sake, of course). Would just about be possible to get out for £40 pp, if you are very careful.

Been wanting to go there for ages. Would probably take it above a glass of Cheval Blanc 47.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Two things, what's the best higher-end dining option in Brighton these days? And where can I get the best gin martini?

Christmas is coming and I am assembling my man squad.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Two things, what's the best higher-end dining option in Brighton these days? And where can I get the best gin martini?

Little Fish Market is the best restaurant in town.
Will report back from the Gingerman next weekend.
Coal Shed is great no matter what anyone says, as is Salt Rooms
64 degrees but you'll never get in there after his success on Great British Menu.
Not high end but Senor Buddha is getting some great reviews, as in Bincho Yakitori ( ithought it was okay htere but they had just openend and there was nobody there)
I urge you to go and have a steak at Busby and Wilds

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Not high end but Senor Buddha is getting some great reviews

The area around Preston Circus is fast becoming something of a foodie ENCLAVE and may well yet pull the rest of the immediate area up by its bootstraps. As well as Senor Buddha, which I admit I've not yet tried, there's The Hare And Hounds for La Choza and craft beers, The Joker for Chicken Wings and Czech beers, double whammy of pizza places at Fatto a Mano and Pizza 500 (under the railway arches). Also the very excellent and authentic Jamaican takeaway Cummin Up. and don't get me even STARTED on Baker Street. Good to see.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

The Gin Tub is all over the Facebook pages of my friends with a life. Can't use your smartphone in there.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The Plotting Parlour should whip up a decent cocktail. The cocktail bar at Salt Rooms is also decent and I rate the cocktail barman at Plateau.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The Gin Tub is all over the Facebook pages of my friends with a life. Can't use your smartphone in there.

Looks a good place. I've made a mental note to visit.

Strange website though. Quite pretty but the text has numerous errors and, additionally, often reads as if it's been written by someone who doesn't have English as a first language.

FIVESTEPS

Nov 3, 2014
Was told Dyke Tavern has closed bit of a surprise although it was expensive and not very good.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Was told Dyke Tavern has closed bit of a surprise although it was expensive and not very good.

Yeah. I live just down the road and there was a notice up when I walked past on Sunday saying it was closed for the day and would be re-opening on Monday. When I walked past it again on Tuesday, a lot of the furniture inside the pub had been stacked up or removed.

I've eaten there a few times because of it being nearby. The pizzas were OK, but nothing special, and certainly they seemed to be overpriced. The service also could be quite slow, even when the pub wasn't especially busy.

They did have a phase where they opened part of the pub at an earlier time in the morning to serve breakfasts, but they seemed to do away with that idea a few months ago. Possibly a sign of things to come.

I think they made a conscious effort to be seen as a food pub, but the food and the pricing wasn't up to enough to get people to come often enough to make it sufficiently commercially viable.

Jul 7, 2003

Seven Stars does a variety of Gintini's as well as craft beer. They make their own flavoured gins using Sipsmiths as the donor gin.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Strange website though. Quite pretty but the text has numerous errors and, additionally, often reads as if it's been written by someone who doesn't have English as a first language.

I wonder if HBnB has branched out into websites?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Is this the same as The Dyke Pub and Kitchen? Hope not as I've booked my family's Xmas day lunch there.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I wonder if HBnB has branched out into websites?

I said it "reads as if it's been written by someone who doesn't have English as a first language" not it "reads as if it's been written by someone who doesn't have English as a first, second, third, fourth, fifth or sixth language."

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Recently ate at the Star gastropub in Leatherhead when taking the kids to Chessington. Fantastic food.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here