Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Late 70s/Early 80s fashion

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I'm having a conversation about hipsters with someone in my office and I am trying to remember the name of a style from late 70s or early 80s and hope someone can remember it.

Usually a polo shirt was worn with narrow stripes, jeans or trousers that were baggy at the top but the legs tapered, a canvas belt that had an extra six inches or so to dangle down the front and loafers, or maybe oxfords, in burgundy.

I'm sure there was a name for the style but I can't remember it.

Thanks in advance

Alonso Moseley

Jun 16, 2008
Soulboys ? i remember those belts, with baggy jeans and loafers. Wedge haircuts too...

gen

Banned
Aug 23, 2015
This link might help. I think they were probably soul boys and a lot of them later metamorphosed into New Romantics / Blitz Kids.
There's a photo here of the old Club Papillon which was in the basement of the Royal Albion Hotel opposite the Palace Pier where they used to hang out. In the photo they are forgoing their normal Soul Boy look in favour of togas for one the toga parties they sometimes ran. All very Caligula.

http://shapersofthe80s.com/tag/soul/

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I'm having a conversation about hipsters with someone in my office and I am trying to remember the name of a style from late 70s or early 80s and hope someone can remember it.

Usually a polo shirt was worn with narrow stripes, jeans or trousers that were baggy at the top but the legs tapered, a canvas belt that had an extra six inches or so to dangle down the front and loafers, or maybe oxfords, in burgundy.

I'm sure there was a name for the style but I can't remember it.

Thanks in advance

As others have said, Soul Boys.

Also known as ' smoothies ' at my old school Patcham Fawcett, not sure if smoothies was made up at school or it was used elsewhere.
The ' smoothies ' shop of choice was Stunning Rags in Western Road Brighton.

Special mention for Hipsters :tosser:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Ah, Billy's - lots of off duty hookers.

Indeed. And elderly gentlemen.

ps thanks for the nod over the 'report' function, although I'm still not sure where it is. Over 50s semi computer literate, moi :ffsparr:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here