Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Berlin Christmas Markets

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
Anyone been?

Mrs P and I fancy going over, but looking online there are loads of different markets. Potsdamer Platz looks like a good one, but appears to be out of the centre of Berlin. The other one that looks good, and more central is at Charlottenburg Castle.

Any recommendations from anyone?
Do as many as you can is my recommendation. Went down there couple of years back and ticked probably about ten off.

Charlottenburg, Gendarmenmarkt and Spandau were my personal favourites, they get particularly busy at weekend evenings though. Loads of other cool stuff in Berlin too, it's a great trip

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
To be honest we are leaving them alone currently due to security concerns (massive crowds in enclosed public areas, big Christian religous festival, and none too far from Paris, Brussels etc etc).

Given the varied nature of ISIS attacks you'd have to rule out a lot of activities though: gigs, restaurants, football, beach holidays, train travel, strolling on a prom, airports, flying etc etc.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Been to Winter Wonderland the last couple of years in Hyde Park. Ridiculously packed but I am a fan. The stalls do repeat a lot but most seem to be German so I guess it is sort of a UK version of a German market.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Given the varied nature of ISIS attacks you'd have to rule out a lot of activities though: gigs, restaurants, football, beach holidays, train travel, strolling on a prom, airports, flying etc etc.

You are of course correct. But giving up something that is the sameish every time, has been done on half a dozen occasions, leaves me at best a little sozzled and at worst with a lot less money, has no discernible financial or health benefit does seem sensible in some ways. If it were a gig for the right band, a holiday in somewhere new and exciting, or seeing the club I have supported man and boy then I would overrule nearly all and sundry fears. But the German Xmas markets.......meh!

Jul 7, 2003
Much to Mrs DCH's disgust, I have managed to wangle a trip to Munich in mid-December for a training course (honestly, with flights and hotels it was cheaper than going to Manchester!). Training course is right by the station as is my hotel so about 500 yards to what appears to be the hub of the market. Looking forward to gluhwein, soft gingerbread, wurst and will bring back a nice tree ornament to keep her happy.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I took my ex to Düsseldorf last December for Christmas Markets, absolutely fantastic and a lot cheaper than Munich or Berlin.

This, almost word for word. Except I went with friends. There are four markets spread within a 10 minute walk of one another. One of them was beside the river, another had an ice rink. The Gluhwein was great and the stalls were fantastic. Could spend hours wondering aimlessly around them.

Although I've not actually been to Munchen or Berlin, it would take something quite special to improve on Dusseldorf IMO.

Filipino Pat

Aug 24, 2014
Been to Berlin, Prague, Munich, Dusseldorf, Vienna, and various UK Xmas markets - loved them all. It's all about the food and the gluhwein and the general Christmassy feel of wandering about. The stalls can get repetitive after a while, but have another wine and you'll soon stop worrying too much about that. Berlin is the best one I've been to - one of my favourite cities besides the markets too...

Going to Berlin for the first time in mid-November with my girlfriend. Can't wait! When do the Christmas Markets open?

As a massive Brewdog fanboy/equity punk I'm hoping the new Brewdog in Berlin will be open in time. Any news @HerrTubthumper?

Also looking for recommendations for places to go, we are there for 3 nights.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Going to Berlin for the first time in mid-November with my girlfriend. Can't wait! When do the Christmas Markets open?

As a massive Brewdog fanboy/equity punk I'm hoping the new Brewdog in Berlin will be open in time. Any news @HerrTubthumper?

I think your stay might be too early. They usually start to encompass the 4 weekends before Xmas.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I think they open literally a month before Xmas. You might be a week too early.

As a fellow Brewdog fanboy/equity punk I can tell you Brewdog Berlin is aiming to open at the end of October. I poked my head in the door last week and spoke to the manager who said they're shooting for this opening time. Having seen the current state of the project this looks totally feasible. I guess you're aware Stone Brewing have just opened a huge brewery and gardens bistro over here?

If you are after ideas for bars, restaurants, music, fun PM me with what floats your boat and I'll try and help.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Oh shit - doesn't sound promising. As you say - it's very handy hence the choice.

Anyone have anything good to say about Lille? (sorry to OP for temporary thread divergence)

Did you book it through The Argus Coach Tours?
Not too bad. Had a great weekend there with Mrs K to see Iggy Pop. Nice wandering around town. The art gallery in Roubaix, in an Art Deco swimming pool is brilliant, even though the locals smashed in the car side windows in a burglary attempt.
Maybe you should cancel and spend a weekend at Vern's Fruit and Veg Market at Hollingbury.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Not too bad. Had a great weekend there with Mrs K to see Iggy Pop. Nice wandering around town. The art gallery in Roubaix, in an Art Deco swimming pool is brilliant, even though the locals smashed in the car side windows in a burglary attempt.

Nice one. Worth a squirt for a couple of nights then.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
All booked up now :thumbsup: Ended up going for the Gendarmenmarkt one staying in a hotel 5 minutes away.
[MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] What is your recommendation to get from Schoenefeld Airport to the City? How much would a cab be? Google map reckons about a 30 minute car journey.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
All booked up now :thumbsup: Ended up going for the Gendarmenmarkt one staying in a hotel 5 minutes away.
[MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] What is your recommendation to get from Schoenefeld Airport to the City? How much would a cab be? Google map reckons about a 30 minute car journey.

A cab will be around 40-50 euros max and take around 30-40 mins max. The rail from Shonefeld is a 10 minute walk away and around 30 mins on the express train. You'll also need an u-bahn for one or two stops when you get to Friedrichstrasse. But it's only €3.60. If you're only here for a couple of days I'd suggest cab when you arrive and once you've got you're bearings and a feel for things a train home.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Love Berlin, do the Olympic stadium tour when you are there if you can, so much history behind it .Also cologne is superb for markets, I think it has 12 different ones.Spend a fair bit of time out there as the Mrs has a lot of friends there.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Love Berlin, do the Olympic stadium tour when you are there if you can, so much history behind it .Also cologne is superb for markets, I think it has 12 different ones.Spend a fair bit of time out there as the Mrs has a lot of friends there.

Cologne is lovely. My favourite piece of art is Gerhard Richter's Dom window; I can sit and stare at it for ages.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex

Don't know about others, but the one we are aiming for, Gendarmenmarkt, opens Nov 21st

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

It opens this Friday!

Private opening on Thursday which you can go to if you're an equity punk investor.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here