Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Motty to commentate on us this week as part of his grand tour

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I vaguely remember him being disparaging about us in a commentary, which may have been fair as we've been pretty rubbish at times, but it rankled and put me right off the bloke.

theboybilly

I suppose I'm the only one who regards him as a national treasure. I once did some work for his father, a clergyman from Lincolnshire as I recall, who had the same rosy cheeks and guileless enthusiasm as his son.

Far from it. He was largely ( along with Barry Davies of course ) responsible for the soundtrack to my football viewing as a kid. They both knocked the truly awful Brian Moore into touch. The BBC were great at televising sport then

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Bok, a gambling term for someone who's bad luck, the favourite origins of this are a bloke called Yakob Bok (I think) a really unlucky bloke in the novel The Fixer or from the Turkish word for shit

Ahaaaaaa. Thanks

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I think that depends how old you are.

If you're thirty plus, then yes you'll probably remember him being quite good, and will laugh off what he's like now.

A huge part of cup final day. He knew how much it meant to the British public and respected that.

Age has caught up with him - but it can't be much fun commentating on Stoke v Everton on a cold, windy January evening when he probably wants to be at home at 72 years-old.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I like John Motson. Reminds me of a time when football was just football and not the nonsense that it is now. He is a commentating legend in my book.

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
Kenneth Wolstenholme was the king. Remember seeing him climbing up a very high ladder to the commentary position at White Hart Lane in the 60s. Don't remember him commentating on Brighton though - until he worked for Tyne-Tees and did the Newcastle game in 79.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
I think he has been a great commentator over the years. I actually got to meet him for a couple of hours at a hotel in the Cotswolds a few years ago. It was during the Cheltenham festival. He said horse racing was always his first love in terms of sport, football being someway behind.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Kenneth Wolstenholme was the king. Remember seeing him climbing up a very high ladder to the commentary position at White Hart Lane in the 60s. Don't remember him commentating on Brighton though - until he worked for Tyne-Tees and did the Newcastle game in 79.

Well we were hardly regulars on Match of the Day back then!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I liked him in his hay day but as others have said, he's been crap for 15 years. He was the daddy in my era growing up with the game, much more so than Brian Moore even though Moore was probably a bit better.

Although I'm afraid this whole kerfuffle is classic BBC - they absolutely love to elevate their own to a stature well exceeding their talent. Motson was alright, even quite good in his day. But ultimately he's a bloke with limited ability and boundless enthusiasm who was lucky enough to commentate on the game he loved, for decades. And now he is retiring. No need for a massive fan-fare, he really won't be missed.

This sums it up for me. I used to love him back in the 90s alongside Barry Davies, but he's just become a cliche of himself in recent years. These days all he wants to do is find an opportunity to give you a juicy STAT rather than the more important job of commentating on the game. When Rooney was on the verge of breaking the Man Utd scoring record it's ALL he banged on about for about 8 games.

PWA

European Tour 2023/24
Jul 23, 2011
West Sussex
I love the guy.

The Best.

Met him at Cheltenham Festival having a flutter.

THE voice of football.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
I suppose I'm the only one who regards him as a national treasure. I once did some work for his father, a clergyman from Lincolnshire as I recall, who had the same rosy cheeks and guileless enthusiasm as his son.

Likewise. For me, although his best days are long behind him, he's long been the voice of football. His commentaries, along with Barry Davies, contributed in making so many memorable occasions watching the sport. I think of all those Cup Finals, World Cups and European Championships. Never more so than his excitement at Platini's 89th minute winner against Portugal in 1984, which has been shown today. We all have our favourite football moments and that's one of mine, helped by his emotional response to the conclusion of that stunning match. Just brilliant. Thank you Motty.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
'Has he punched him in the face and stamped on his head? Well, you have to say, I've seen them given'

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
I still remember him continuously calling Ronaldo Romario in a World Cup Final.

Flipping embarrassing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here