Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Raphael Dwamena RIP

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
He didn't know, so he didn't answer.
Perhaps he should have initially been asked, or as a follow up, 'how long has he been on the clubs radar'.

Just guesswork but I read that conversation as - players a, b, c & d are now too expensive.
Winstanley turned the page over in his note pad and said 'what about this fella?

I doubt he was scouted as a primary target, they are now all too expensive, but the recruitment team were aware of him.
They've had 4 or 5 league games to watch him as a main target and have pulled the trigger on the deal.

Sadly £10-12m isn't a gamble for a Premier League centre forward, is barely above bargain basement, age and contract etc.

.....and this is the problem. £10m seems like a hell of a lot of dosh to us from where we've come from but relative to the money being spent elsewhere in the PL we are shopping in the bargain basement where purchases are made in the hope that the risk will pay off rather than in the certitude that the player will become a genuine PL player that we can sell on a couple of years down the line for a massive profit.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
[/B]

.....and this is the problem. £10m seems like a hell of a lot of dosh to us from where we've come from but relative to the money being spent elsewhere in the PL we are shopping in the bargain basement where purchases are made in the hope that the risk will pay off rather than in the certitude that the player will become a genuine PL player that we can sell on a couple of years down the line for a massive profit.

Relative to our likely season revenue, I guess it's the equivalent of paying a couple of million a season or two ago. It's mental.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Relative to our likely season revenue, I guess it's the equivalent of paying a couple of million a season or two ago. It's mental.

It absolutely is. Hyper-inflation, what would've been worth 2 or 3 million a year ago is now 4 or 5 times more expensive. Southampton have just paid 15 million for Wesley Hoedt who has made a couple of appearances for the Dutch national team.
All transfer fees are relative now.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Changed mind today. No way will Bloom pin all our hopes on this unknown from a noddy league regardless of the potential.

We WILL be signing someone of note still.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Obviously nobody every knows for sure, but given his age, experience and pedigree up until this point I'd imagine that Dwamena is going to need time to settle in and get used to English football and living in a new country. We must remember that he's only 21 and be realistic with our expectations.

My fear is that if he doesn't look like the finished article in the first game the usual suspects (who constantly slated Barnes/Hemed/Skalak etc) are going to be on his back straight away.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Obviously nobody every knows for sure, but given his age, experience and pedigree up until this point I'd imagine that Dwamena is going to need time to settle in and get used to English football and living in a new country. We must remember that he's only 21 and be realistic with our expectations.

My fear is that if he doesn't look like the finished article in the first game the usual suspects (who constantly slated Barnes/Hemed/Skalak etc) are going to be on his back straight away.
There's a few who have already made up their mind.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Is there any indication of when his permit may be granted and if Izquuerdo has been granted international clearance as I am becoming concerned about this as it is taking a long time and with previous 3rd party ownership in S America. Not looking good. Hope I am worrying unneccessarily.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It absolutely is. Hyper-inflation, what would've been worth 2 or 3 million a year ago is now 4 or 5 times more expensive. Southampton have just paid 15 million for Wesley Hoedt who has made a couple of appearances for the Dutch national team.
But he's also spent two seasons playing for Lazio in Seria A, so he's not untested at the top level.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Is there any indication of when his permit may be granted and if Izquuerdo has been granted international clearance as I am becoming concerned about this as it is taking a long time and with previous 3rd party ownership in S America. Not looking good. Hope I am worrying unneccessarily.
You are worrying unnecessarily. Izquierdo already has international clearance, there's no 3rd party ownership.

If you want to worry, worry about the fact that our new players haven't played at this level before, so they could be shit.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
What do you mean that 'it is not looking good' ?

It is looking fine for Izquierdo - there are no 3rd party ownership issues - only those that you have conjured up in your imagination.

It's not unusual for the clearance to take a while, and we may even have it already.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

It is looking fine for Izquierdo - there are no 3rd party ownership issues - only those that you have conjured up in your imagination.

It's not unusual for the clearance to take a while, and we may even have it already.

In my experience they usually take less than 24 hours or perhaps 36 to obtain and that is only due to time differences around the world and different working hours. I wasnt aware that it had been granted only the work permit so why wasnt he on the bench last night or at least introduced to the crowd?

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
Hughton said in interview last night that he wanted him to train with the first team, and would determine then whether he would be unleashed on Saturday at Watford on Saturday.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
In my experience they usually take less than 24 hours or perhaps 36 to obtain and that is only due to time differences around the world and different working hours. I wasnt aware that it had been granted only the work permit so why wasnt he on the bench last night or at least introduced to the crowd?
You've already been told Ulloa's clearance took 9 days.

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?p=8081706

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
3rd party ownership wouldn't like slow down international clearance.

You've changed your tune in literally less than 24 hours...minus the 3rd Party Ownership bollocks, you were saying the same thing.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here