Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

♫Glastonbury 2017♫

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Totally agree.

There's an arrogance to Eavis with this, assuming that his music loving attendees will all be of Corbyn's mindset. There will be 10,000's there with no interest in party politics or perhaps views the other way.

This maybe so, but just watching Run the Jewels and can see flags with

'**** the Tories' & 'Bollox to Brexit' no interest in politics obviously!

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
This maybe so, but just watching Run the Jewels and can see flags with

'**** the Tories' & 'Bollox to Brexit' no interest in politics obviously!

So is that how everyone feels there? I dont think so, so not the right time or place.

Back to the music - this thread will hopefully have less de-rails now.

Run the Jewels are so heavy, lovely stuff

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Totally agree.

There's an arrogance to Eavis with this, assuming that his music loving attendees will all be of Corbyn's mindset. There will be 10,000's there with no interest in party politics or perhaps views the other way.

It's his festival, he can do as he pleases. I very much doubt he assumes (especially these days) that the audience are all of Corbyn's mindset, Eavis is simply continuing to use his festival to promote his beliefs. As you probably know, Glastonbury has a long standing, deep and well known association with the CND & Greenpeace etc. Anyone going should be well aware that they will be (indirectly) contributing to these and similar causes & anyone watching on the BBC is presumably doing likewise as it encourages them to buy the broadcasting rights.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Thats the thing, as much as many will like it there will be loads that are not bothered or have opposing views and it can take you out of that mindset bubble

I'm sure they will cope and probably enjoy dabbling in what they may consider to be a bit of counter culture for a long weekend before returning to the 9 to 5.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
I'm sure they will cope and probably enjoy dabbling in what they may consider to be a bit of counter culture for a long weekend before returning to the 9 to 5.

Who are 'they'?

I dont imagine many people here to be out of work or in poverty given the cost to attend

For me something like this is hedonistic regardless of beliefs cultures race colour or status. Hence why I do not think its the place. Given the acts I would have certainly gone to this stage for at least the first 3 acts and a political broadcast from anyone in the middle would have somewhat changed my mindset for where it was (which would have been much better)

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Eavis can have who he wants.

If people don't like it. Don't go, don't watch and if you think you can do better then set up your own festival. But if you think politics and music shouldn't be mixed then you're missing the point of a lot of music.

Have to say Corbyn's pretty good at public shouting, and if means more people will engage in politics (regardless of their view) then that's a positive thing.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Who are 'they'?

I dont imagine many people here to be out of work or in poverty given the cost to attend

For me something like this is hedonistic regardless of beliefs cultures race colour or status. Hence why I do not think its the place. Given the acts I would have certainly gone to this stage for at least the first 3 acts and a political broadcast from anyone in the middle would have somewhat changed my mindset for where it was (which would have been much better)

What are you on about?

'They' are clearly the 'loads' of people you referred to who are either not bothered or have opposing views.

I have not referred to people.being in poverty or out of work.

As for the impact on your mindset that's just tough as it's not your festival I'm afraid. I'm sure you'd cope.

Watch out for the bad acid.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Will I ever catch up

Just watching Elbow and should lead straight into tonights acts.

Liking the Mancs.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Did you join in with these Radiohead fans?
View attachment 86594

That actually happened when Ravi Shankar was tuning up his sitar before he started his set at the Concert for Bangladesh. When he finished tuning up the crowd, unaccustomed to Indian music, started cheering and he responded with the words, "Thank you, if you enjoy the tuning so much I hope you will enjoy the playing more." Maybe the person who wrote that article got the idea from that incident.

Last edited:

Reagulls

Jul 22, 2013
Watched royal blood on catch up, great set , spotted at least 3 Albion flags in the crowd too :albion2:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I heard it mentioned on the radio today, that Dizzie Rascal was allegedly moaning about not being asked to be a headline act.
Well I think you have to earn the right, and wait to be asked!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Badbadnotgood up next on the West Holts stage channel. Now this is one I am really looking forward to!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here