Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No guarantee of help for disabled passengers, says Southern

Yoda

English & European
Yes. I don't believe the strikers have disabled people's best interests at heart. I think it's just another rock for the sling.
I may be wrong but anti-disabled I am not.
How many wheelchair users have suffered due to the strikes I wonder.

There's been two in the press in only the last week. Keep up.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
There's been two in the press in only the last week. Keep up.

And the two disabled commuters in Seaford were last year, & nothing to do with the strikes, but everything to do with SASTA's incompetence in running a railway.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I think [MENTION=33848]The Clamp[/MENTION] is probably spot on here. It is just another rock to sling as I'm sure there is some decent spin here.

Strike or no strike...in fact Southern or no Southern how do wheelchair bound users enter/leave the station at Crowborough or Eridge or Ashurst or Edenbridge Town or South Croydon? And probably many more.

Last edited:

Yes. I don't believe the strikers have disabled people's best interests at heart. I think it's just another rock for the sling.
I may be wrong but anti-disabled I am not.
How many wheelchair users have suffered due to the strikes I wonder.

If you're genuinely interested in the lot of disabled passengers on Southern, why restrict your question to such a small cohort of those classified as such?

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
It's not semantics, it's offensive.

F off with your pc clap trap! That's how language changes does it? People get offended. Offense was never meant or intended to cause debate but you with your semantic ways feel so. Pathetic! I was defending disabled people and I don't give a damn if my chosen words offend you. Love you Triggaaar!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Doubly shameful that the strikers are using the disabled card to try and garner public support????

I think they should be congratulated for highlighting a disgusting disrespect for this particular section of their customer base.

It was the railway company who announced it, not the strikers.

we can congratulate them for highlighting this issue, we can also question their motives when they havent mentioned before the dozens of stations, and hundreds of services without disabled access. this isnt a new issue.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
If you're genuinely interested in the lot of disabled passengers on Southern, why restrict your question to such a small cohort of those classified as such?

Just referring to those people that have made the headlines. I feel sorry for anyone, anyone, relying on trains at the moment, able bodies, wheelchair users or just the generally bewildered.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
we can congratulate them for highlighting this issue, we can also question their motives when they havent mentioned before the dozens of stations, and hundreds of services without disabled access. this isnt a new issue.

At last, a bit of sense.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
These two lines don't marry up, do they?

I'm reading the situation (please correct if not) that there used to be a number of stations where a wheelchair user (for instance) could turn up and be guaranteed help.

I've often seen that at Balham. They are out quick with the ramp.

I also presume that with the other stations you take your chances (not manned all the time) or by their nature are inaccessible / difficult.

The situation now appears to be that access for the disabled has to be booked in advance to be guaranteed, possibly at any station.

However if you are disabled passenger who requires assistance and currently lives near and/or often uses a station with guaranteed access that's a major shift.

I don't have to prepare 24 hours in advance to use a local train.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Or the London Underground come to that

The better analogy is the London Overland.

Some stations are still inaccessible I think. But for the ones that are the 24 hour booking thing has been removed. You can just turn up.

So there you go.

If you can get to the platform but still a ramp the advice on the TFL website is ask a member of staff for help :)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
F off with your pc clap trap!
I'm trying to educate you about what offends people and instead of taking the advice on board, you've chosen to be more insulting.
That's how language changes does it? People get offended.
People get offended because the words are offensive. Just the same as how people realise some words are racist or homophobic - not because they were once inoffensive, but because people have woken up to the fact that they are offensive.
Offense was never meant or intended to cause debate but you with your semantic ways feel so.
It's nothing to do with semantics, I just told you that the term is offensive, nothing more.
Pathetic! I was defending disabled people and I don't give a damn if my chosen words offend you.
The fact that you don't care that your words cause offence says it all.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
I'm trying to educate you about what offends people and instead of taking the advice on board, you've chosen to be more insulting.
People get offended because the words are offensive. Just the same as how people realise some words are racist or homophobic - not because they were once inoffensive, but because people have woken up to the fact that they are offensive.
It's nothing to do with semantics, I just told you that the term is offensive, nothing more.
The fact that you don't care that your words cause offence says it all.

Piss off!
Your the only one complaining.

Just referring to those people that have made the headlines. I feel sorry for anyone, anyone, relying on trains at the moment, able bodies, wheelchair users or just the generally bewildered.

You're still referring to a small cohort of those classified as disabled (ie wheelchair users).

FYI you are classified a disabled in law: "If you have a physical or mental impairment that has a ‘substantial’ and ‘long-term’ negative effect on your ability to do normal daily activities".
‘Substantial’ is more than minor or trivial, eg it takes much longer than it usually would to complete a daily task like getting dressed
‘Long-term’ means 12 months or more.
Anyone who has been diagnosed with a progressive condition (one that gets worse over time) can also be classified as disabled; those with cancer (me), HIV or MS are automatically classified as such.
You're sorry for me? Disingenuous ****, go and f**k off.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
You're still referring to a small cohort of those classified as disabled (ie wheelchair users).

FYI you are classified a disabled in law: "If you have a physical or mental impairment that has a ‘substantial’ and ‘long-term’ negative effect on your ability to do normal daily activities".
‘Substantial’ is more than minor or trivial, eg it takes much longer than it usually would to complete a daily task like getting dressed
‘Long-term’ means 12 months or more.
Anyone who has been diagnosed with a progressive condition (one that gets worse over time) can also be classified as disabled; those with cancer (me), HIV or MS are automatically classified as such.
You're sorry for me? Disingenuous ****, go and f**k off.

Don't feed the troll he is not worth it

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

They obviously weren't the first to highlight the issue. Problems appear to have pre-dated the strike.

I may have been reading this incorrectly, but Southern on balance do appear to have degraded a facility rather than adding one ?

I presume that for a long time you have been able to book assistance, the advice now is to do it all times ?

It's actually really unclear. Are they saying we can't guarantee a second person on the train or anyone at the station ?

Complete the reverse on the overground up here. Of course because of history there are many stations still inaccessible or difficult. But TFL have REMOVED the need to book in advance on many with DOO.

Why aren't Southern heading the same direction ?

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here