Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who are the TWO GAY footballers in todays MIRROR ?

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
What you need to remember is that it IS a big issue in some cultures and countries, the PL is a global brand. Us Brightonians who have grown up with homosexuality all around us will not bat an eyelid but there are many that will not accept it and for that reason it is a BIG issue. I can tell you now that it would be enough for some north of Watford to stop supporting a certain team if they had a gay player.

For that reason I want the players to 'come out', to educate some cultures on just how narrow minded and antiquated their views are.

Edited that for you

Pintos

Jul 28, 2005
Oxted
The end of the mirror article has a quote from agent Simon Jones:
“Profile-wise there are no negatives to coming out in 2015. The world is literally their oyster.”

The use of the word 'literally' here annoys me. Don't care about the rest of the article.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Attitudes up here do vary.

Manchester has one of the biggest gay scenes in the country and has always been a very chilled city, but the towns in Lancashire are stuck in the dark ages.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
It doesn't matter in the slightest to us in the West and nor should it but I would guess that whoever these players are may be concerned that coming out as gay may affect their clubs in that the club may be told that "we will withdraw sponsorship as you have a gay player".
I am not trying to second guess the players or the clubs but were the club to be owned by people based in countries where homosexuality is illegal or frowned upon it may compromise the club.

16bha

Sep 6, 2010
East Stand Upper & Worthing
While the media continue to highlight this as such a major issue then it will do nothing but add pressure on any individual. Why does a player have to 'come out' anyway. I don't recall having to clarify that I was heterosexual at any point.

Have to to admit the term 'coming out' makes it sound like it's some sort of confessional.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
While the media continue to highlight this as such a major issue then it will do nothing but add pressure on any individual. Why does a player have to 'come out' anyway. I don't recall having to clarify that I was heterosexual at any point.

Have to to admit the term 'coming out' makes it sound like it's some sort of confessional.

If they don't 'come out' they have to keep themselves private in all respects of their life. This is for fear of endless gossip, and potentially nasty situations with the ignorant low lives of society.

If they do it may cause a stir for a while and, they would hope, eventually become yesterday's news.

I'm sure those players would wish that nobody does care. But people want to gossip, and people want to snipe.

You have to feel sorry for footballers in this situation. They wish it wasn't such a big deal too.

Nigel Owens, the Rugby referee, has been met with benign intrigue and has become a cult figure. But even then he has still had some rotten abuse.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
While the media continue to highlight this as such a major issue then it will do nothing but add pressure on any individual.

You've answered your own question.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
What you need to remember is that it IS a big issue in some cultures and countries, the PL is a global brand. Us Brightonians who have grown up with homosexuality all around us will not bat an eyelid but there are many that will not accept it and for that reason it is a BIG issue. I can tell you now that it would be enough for some fans here in Kenya to stop supporting a certain team if they had a gay player.

For that reason I want the players to 'come out', to educate some cultures on just how narrow minded and antiquated their views are.
Every town and city has had gays around them and every town or city has around 8/10% gays....Brighton was the first openly gay place that's all.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Attitudes up here do vary.

Manchester has one of the biggest gay scenes in the country and has always been a very chilled city, but the towns in Lancashire are stuck in the dark ages.

Like Hebden Bridge?

Edit: Google informs me that HB is in fact Yorkshire, though not by much.

Eric Potts

Jul 26, 2004
Top o' Hanover
After all these years I've been on NSC It's time I came out!!!

I Play Golf :blush:

We accept you here on NSC . We may not agree with your behaviour , nor ( god forbid ) consider doing it ourselves .

But i think i can speak for all in saying we can love the person , but not his actions.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Like Hebden Bridge?

Edit: Google informs me that HB is in fact Yorkshire, though not by much.

They just like wearing comfortable shoes and there are many lady golfers in HB.

I've been to the summer fayre there and it's a fantastic day out. Cake stalls, Morris dancing, clam jousting and other traditional summer activities.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
They just like wearing comfortable shoes and there are many lady golfers in HB.

I've been to the summer fayre there and it's a fantastic day out. Cake stalls, Morris dancing, clam jousting and other traditional summer activities.
you have to, with EVERY post , dont you ? :lolol:

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Moi?

To be fair, some contestants who had let their personal hygiene habits slip replaced the last activity with Velcro fastening.
Always liked a 70s style BUSH , like a cat with its throat cut :D

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
The story is a total non event. I don't care who it is. There are at least 20 of them in the Premiership and I have no interest in finding out who they are. I would just like to know if it is going to make the word WAG obsolete or not ???

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The story is a total non event. I don't care who it is. There are at least 20 of them in the Premiership and I have no interest in finding out who they are. I would just like to know if it is going to make the word WAG obsolete or not ???

I don't think it would be much of a loss if a few of the more attention-grabbing WAGS became obsolete, frankly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here