Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sharm El Sheikh In July

Jules

Jan 17, 2013
Its a dump and blond women tend to get hassled by the locals. Egypt is much more unstable now with various groups infighting. Personally I would avoid going to Egypt and Tunisia at all costs. It may be cheap but its not worth the hassle and the risk. Plus the food is awful.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Its a dump and blond women tend to get hassled by the locals. Egypt is much more unstable now with various groups infighting. Personally I would avoid going to Egypt and Tunisia at all costs. It may be cheap but its not worth the hassle and the risk. Plus the food is awful.

Just goes to show, my experience of Egypt is the exact opposite !
My wife is blonde and has never been hassled, in fact I got more hassle as they all seemed to think I was some famous American wrestler !

South Sinai is its own region in Egypt and very safe, we've been many times now and never felt threatned, never been ill either but then we're fanatical about washing our hands while we're out there.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Just goes to show, my experience of Egypt is the exact opposite !
My wife is blonde and has never been hassled, in fact I got more hassle as they all seemed to think I was some famous American wrestler !

South Sinai is its own region in Egypt and very safe, we've been many times now and never felt threatned, never been ill either but then we're fanatical about washing our hands while we're out there.
Not that safe, restaurant blown up in sharm a few years back....suicide bomber......just a thought.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
We had two superb holidays in Sharm in the last two years. Stayed at The Savoy. Food was excellent, no problems and the staff brilliant.

JTR938

Nov 24, 2012
Another vote to avoid! By far the worst place that I have been to..... and yes the food is shite

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
I hear that place in the uk called London is under constant threat of terrorism too. Generally overpriced, too crowded and a bit shit as well.

Vote for Egypt here. Really enjoyed my visit there although it was years ago and in the days when travelling the country was much safer. Sharm is great for relaxation, too hot for me though in July!

WallyBanana

Jan 5, 2007
Haywards Heath
As I type I am sitting in the Egyptian sunshine waiting for my son to finish football academy. It's red hot now so who knows just how hot it would be in June! As for the safety element there are no desert tours on at the moment. However we've been out at night and in the day and it's been fine. We're in nabq bay.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Lovely place, very friendly people. Recommended.

But I did have the worst food poisoning ever known to man whilst there. Two days of it coming out both ends like Vesuvius erupting actually left me in need of a WHEELCHAIR to get to and from the hotel doctor, where a quick jab in the a-hole - with a syringe of course - promptly caused all the unsavouriness to dry up.

16bha

Sep 6, 2010
East Stand Upper & Worthing
As I type I am sitting in the Egyptian sunshine waiting for my son to finish football academy. It's red hot now so who knows just how hot it would be in June! As for the safety element there are no desert tours on at the moment. However we've been out at night and in the day and it's been fine. We're in nabq bay.
What's the snorkelling like in Nabq Bay? Where are you staying?

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
i know i am not in on this conversation but i just wanted to add to it, when we went to Turkey we had a heatwave come over from Africa and everyone in the locals was in the shade as the heat was so intense, it was above 60°C
On 13 September 2012 the World Meteorological Organisation disqualified the record for the highest recorded temperature, exactly 90 years after it had been established at El Azizia, Libya, with a measurement of 58 C. The official highest recorded temperature is now 56.7 C (134 F), which was measured on 10 July 1913 at Greenland Ranch, Death Valley, California, USA.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
Lovely place, very friendly people. Recommended..

I couldn't disagree more! It could be a lovely place if it wasn't for the people.
I know they all rely heavily on tourism so hassling tourists is the only way to make money but I have been to other places in the world where they are probably even poorer yet would give you their last grain of rice! Cant stand all the Egyptian "My friend , my friend " b*llocks! Get you into their shop and not let you leave. Any time you even talk to an Egyptian they want a tip!

I almost forgot the dead camels just left to rot in the desert while other tourists drive past on their quadbikes!

Hugh'sDad

Nov 29, 2011
'Ove
We're off to the Red Sea for first time in July. Understand it will be rather warm.

Anyone else been? Any tips on things to do, (not do) places to see?
Just a few:

Stay out of the Sun.
Don't eat the food
Avoid the sea
Leave the alcohol.
Sex between foreigners is punishable by castration
......and most of all, ENJOY yourself.

WallyBanana

Jan 5, 2007
Haywards Heath
What's the snorkelling like in Nabq Bay? Where are you staying?

Not a sea person so can't comment on the snorkelling. We're stayi in the first choice holiday village. Ignore the other crap put on here about the food and alcohol being rubbish it's bollocks, just go and enjoy and make your own mind up!

Hugh'sDad

Nov 29, 2011
'Ove
Yep....been twice to the Red Sea, but never actually been to Sharm - have to say I enjoyed both resorts and hotels immensely.
You pays your money, and if you've done much touristing, you should be fine, just look out for all the usual fleecing mechanisms.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Just a few:

Stay out of the Sun.
Don't eat the food
Avoid the sea
Leave the alcohol.
You can get bummed by a cat at a good price . . . My friend
Sex between foreigners is punishable by castration
......and most of all, ENJOY yourself.

So the truth is out.