Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Where do you want The Albion to be in 5 years time?

Where do YOU want Albion to be in 5 years time?

• In the Champions League

Votes: 22 9.6%
  • In a European Competition

Votes: 20 8.8%
  • Top 6 Premier League Side

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Top 10 Premier League Side

Votes: 92 40.4%
  • In the Premier League

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Championship

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • League One

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • League Two

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Above Palace, and still in the top flight.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
My view is that surely you have to want the very best? Champions of Europe.

Setting your sights too low.

I want us to be World Cup champions and have taken over from the likes of Real Madrid, Barcelona, PSG, Manchester City etc as THE club that all top players want to join.

Back in the real world and based on reality, a top 10 PL team, which regularly has decent Cup runs

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Why have only 11% put "In the Champions League"?

Champions League football - coupled with Bloom and Barber's sound management of the club - would be hugely exciting.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Gradual progression.

[MENTION=1413]Mackenzie[/MENTION]: What do we want?
Everybody: Gradual progression.
[MENTION=1413]Mackenzie[/MENTION]: When do we want it?
Everybody: In due course.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Just waiting for someone to vote for League 2

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

Champions League football - coupled with Bloom and Barber's sound management of the club - would be hugely exciting.

Coz I've read the question as - what is the least you want, so I've put 'in the premier league' - everything on top of that is a bonus.

Plus I've been taught not to be greedy on what I want, let things come to you instead :)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Our discussion also covered what it would cost to achieve Champions League, for instance, so where you want to be isn't necessarily the very top if you feel the risk associated with that is too much?

Good point. I certainly don't want The Lizard putting himself in jeopardy, but he won't though.

I can see him selling the club to one of these super rich weirdos at some point if he thought it was in the clubs interest. Not sure what I think about that....

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
What we might want is one thing, what we are likely to get is quite another. Who are these eejits who want/expect us to be playing Champions League football? With the way football is now it's never likely to happen, never mind in the next five years..

want

VERB [TRANSITIVE] British English /wɒnt/

1 to feel that you would like to have, keep, or do something

Not sure where you're getting expect from. Has the poll been changed?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Premier league and making a profit every season

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London

People are being realistic. It would - of course it would be - and of course Leicester did it but that sort of thing happens only once in a generation. Champions League football? Extremely unlikely.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Established top ten,with bullet-proof finances.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Survival is the only thing we can consistently hope for. Is there even such thing as a top 10 team any more? Currently I would argue that only applies to Arsenal and Everton. Every other team outside the top 6 is more or less in the same boat.

These things are cyclical anyway, even if we manage a top 10 finish it won't happen year after year. All it takes is to sell a couple of players or a couple or poor buys in the transfer window and you're in a relegation dogfight. I'd give us 50/50 to not have been relegated in 5 years time.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Good point. I certainly don't want The Lizard putting himself in jeopardy, but he won't though.

I can see him selling the club to one of these super rich weirdos at some point if he thought it was in the clubs interest. Not sure what I think about that....

We had the same chat, what if we had three seasons at say 15th/16th or 17th and it was felt that the great man had taken us as far as he can? Would we want him to sell to an Asian investor or a sporting group from Dubai? We concluded that we may put up with Premier League survival than generate significant debt and run the risk of a financial crisis in the wings.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Survival is the only thing we can consistently hope for. Is there even such thing as a top 10 team any more? Currently I would argue that only applies to Arsenal and Everton. Every other team outside the top 6 is more or less in the same boat.

These things are cyclical anyway, even if we manage a top 10 finish it won't happen year after year. All it takes is to sell a couple of players or a couple or poor buys in the transfer window and you're in a relegation dogfight. I'd give us 50/50 to not have been relegated in 5 years time.

West Ham and their entitled fans arrogantly presume that are very much part of that unthreatened bracket after this summer's spending. (That season 2017/18 was a one off)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here