Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] monks farm planning

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
May be a dumb question but assume the pedestrian crossings would remain so that one can access the downs from the airport side?

No, that is gone completely. Crossing points are added to the big roundabout:

new-roundabout-vn40408-pl-015.png

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The design manual is just that, a manual.[/URL]
Well no, it isn't really - it details all the requirements that trunk roads must comply with. Other requirements (e.g. pedestrian routes) will come from other documents including the Local Plan.

May be a dumb question but assume the pedestrian crossings would remain so that one can access the downs from the airport side?

That's what much of the discussion above is about. There will be a bridleway under the A27 instead, so that the traffic lights can be removed and thus traffic flows improved.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

Not really anything to do with New Monks Farm unless used as a Planning Gain. Just a route used by cyclists from Shoreham in fine weather along the towpath by the river as first choice route since before the by-pass was built. FOE representations are rubbish.I will be writing. Not suitable for the lycra brigade. MTB route. I use it once a week averaged out over a year and I've been using it since 1968. Vegetation grew up during the Foot & Mouth closures and passable only with difficulty when muddy.

PS: I was not responsible for the gate falling down at Cuckoo's Corner.

New Monks Farm is not in the National Park.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

Not needed. Existing right of way is superior for bikes (long way around on foot). Foot path status has always been disputed. Towpath link avoiding roads was there before the by-pass.

Bridlepath already in existence from Lancing downs. Rotten surface for cycling though, MTB only.

ROW Route is Airport side of the Tollbridge along the river to Cuckoo's Corner and then cut back to Lancing Downs via the bridlepath off the road to Lancing College. These routes need to be improved to make cycling feasible especially in bad weather. New Monks Farm development really needs special provision for destination cyclists from Shoreham to Lancing.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
It's one of my favourite cycling routes but they're building a new cycle route along the river to connect coombes lane to the airport aren't they?!

SDNP/18/00434/FUL

River Adur to Coombes Road Non Motorised Users Route planning application

I would like to express my strong support for this planning permission as it fulfils the gap in the cycling provision from Old Shoreham to Cuckoo’s Corner and the Coombes Road to Botolphs, and Steyning via Annington avoiding the A27 and A283. .

It seems to be a desirable route which I have use since 1964 and before the by-pass was built. The surface has overgrown since the Foot & Mouth closures and was always problematical after rain. Local cycling routes are getting too much cycle traffic and we need relief routes at weekends.

There are plenty of bridlepaths that are problematical for cyclists, and this route seems to be a relatively simple addition with great advantages.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Rather than cross the A27 there (and to avoid the need of an underpass or bridge that probably won't get used) why not just upgrade the surface
of the cycle path that is the Downslink from the footbridge? Much safer surely than riding up to Bramber/Steyning via the Coombes road.

Under pass is already there. Just needs resurfacing and designating a bridlepath or cycle path. Somebody is blowing dirty smoke. Towpath was there before the by-pass. Built the bridge over it. Beats waiting for the traffic lights in good weather. Beats waiting for the traffic lights in bad weather of it had not got overgrown with the Foot & Mouth closures.

loco61

Jan 30, 2004
Hove GOSBTS
i love IKEA but i am biased …

worked there for 29 years … nothing compared to being a Brighton fan since 1971 …

am sure cleverer /more knowledgeable people than i will decide whether IKEA Lancing is a good idea

but if it happens it´s a great place to shop and to work!

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
To be fair though I guess you can cut through new housing development to get to Lancing to avoid the roundabout further up.

Could be a useful rat run

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Isn't it today we learn the outcome?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
If it is a yes there will no doubt be a legal challenge of some sorts

Paying the bills